Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best way to remove tumbling dust

usmc90

As the title says , after i tumble brass (pistol mostly) i sometimes get a buildup of dust on the cleaned brass. I know i could wipe it off but that takes forever and doesn't do a great job at that.

Anyone have any suggestions ? BTW ,I typically use corncob media

A little mineral spirits (2 tablespoons or so for a lyman 1200 sized tumbler) added to the the media will help, too.

Other than that load 'em up and shoot the dust off the cases!

Big towel, roll 'em around.

I usually dump a *glug* of water in the tumbler after it's run for a minute or two. Keeps the dust down and cuts tumbling time significantly.

Mark

After tumbled in a media separator, I put them in the kitchen sink under water. Any media still in the case usually floats to the surface with a little swishing around. A few minutes in the oven on low temp on a cookie sheet with paper towels - dry, shiny and clean.

I dump them in a big towel and roll them back and forth. Seems to do a pretty good job

This, plus cap of mineral spirits occasionally. I also turn a fan when I pour the contents out of the tumbler into the separator, this blows a lot of the dust away.

I dont do this every time, but once in a while i put the tumbler outside and turn it on without the lid. I put a fan in front of it (or if its windy, no fan) and let the agitation cast the dust up and out of the tumbler and into the air. The breeze takes it out into the field and leaves less in the mix otherwise the dust just accumulates more and more every time you tumble as the media breaks down.

I use a blend of Nufinish and mineral spirits in the media. When I dump it out of the tumbler into the media seperator, I turn on the air compressor and blow off the dust. Dryer sheets and strips of paper towel help the media last longer.

I use Lyman green media.

No Dillon Polish

No nu finish

No dryer sheets

No water

No spirit

Most importantly. No dust!

Seriously the Lyman media costs heaps more than other types of corncob or crushed walnut but it's so much better and lasts a long time.

I have used white rice (uncooked, please!) to ease the dust after tumbling in crushed walnut hulls. I vary between tumbling and wet media tumbling. I like the pins, but I use both types, depending on the caliber.

I add a little water to the media and let that go when I start. After using that media for the first time, ill dump it out and clean out the clumped dust inside of the bowl. After that I add a dryer sheet, that cleans up the rest of the dust. I am using corn cob media in bulk from Harbor freight.

• 1 month later...

Best way I've found as a couple other guys have said..... Take an old towel and dump some of your tumbled brass into it. Fold the towel up around the brass and just rub it around and around mushing it up with your fingers. It surprisingly works awesome to get all the dust off... No cleaners, no additives,you dont need to ad anything to the media. I was getting a filthy press after about 500 loads and doing the towel trick has really helped with the press staying cleaner from little to no walnut dust. I've been using the same towel for a year now and have not washed it or gotten it wet, just shake it out after i rub my brass down.