Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My home made media separator!

After reading the comments and reviews and looking at the I saw in person. I was looking for one of those salad spinners but only found news ones @ $25.00 + I found these heavy duty colanders, they were on sale and they fit together like it was made for media separating.

IMG_1715.jpg

Here is the tag with brand name

IMG_1717.jpg

inside

IMG_1714.jpg
Here are the two one on top etc. in working order, I was thinking of putting some type of clamp or screws and wing nut. But in use so far The tops being flat hold together nicely and the rubber grips on the handles don't let them slide.

I do 200 hundred 5.56/.223 or 9mm casing at a time so it isn't much of a problem. It works really well and is very heavy duty plastic no give at all!

For $13.89 for both on sale I am pleased with my work around flimsy stuff.

Stainless pins would work best. And if you grew tired of Loading you could make a great salad.

Great idea, actually I am shocked no one has built something like this. If they did I am sure it would cost much more.

:cheers:

What sort of media are you separating ?? Walnut, corn or stainless pins ??

Walnut/lizard litter, the corn cob I have seen would be to large

IMG_1163-1.jpg

I was using two screen strainers before I do 200 9mm or 5.56/.223 at one time. One on top of the other but would loose some casings if they were spot on closed.

Best $14.00 I've spent with regards to Stainless Tumbling:

375973.jpg

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/375973/frankford-arsenal-media-transfer-magnet-for-stainless-steel-media

Makes quick work of moving stainless pins from place to place. I also use the Berry's tumbler (mine is an RCBS version) to separate the pins from the brass.

If you get tired of that, try one of these. Graf's has a good price on them although everyone and their cousin sells them, they are mfg by Berrys.

s7_214213_999_01_zps5f2e3784.jpg

I use one myself. I cut the bottom out and it fits perfectly into a 5 gal pail. Spin and ALL of the media drops into the pail. Pull the basket out and pour the media back into the tumbler.

I use one myself. I cut the bottom out and it fits perfectly into a 5 gal pail. Spin and ALL of the media drops into the pail. Pull the basket out and pour the media back into the tumbler.

Nice tip... I still use my separator with the lower half filled with water. I've yet to test it without water. Are you spinning out the pins after dumping out all the water?

Edited by razorfish

I've never used water, think the idea behind that is to keep pins from flying all over the place. With the enclosed unit you don't have to worry about that, it's the primary reason I use it.

The water with the pins, comes from the jewelry industry use of the SS pins, but it isn't to clean the items you add water and a lubricating soap to the tumbler so everything will tumble and every side and nook and cranny gets pinned which with silver will harden the item slightly.

Hmm... I always used water because when the pins are damp they stick to everything. When the pins are immersed in water they seem to "flow" with the water. Again, my thought behind this was to ensure that I never left any pins in the cases. Also the brass gets a final rinse in a large volume of clean water.

Do the pins "stick" to upper piece/top of the media separator when not using water?

I guess I'll have to give a try. I would guess it would be faster than the way I do it... Always something new to learn :)

No, the pins all fall to the bottom and I never have any in the cases, pistol or rifle. The pins and cases are wet as I just pour them out of the tumbler into the separator basket after I run some clean water thru it (the tumbler) a couple of times to rinse off the soapy water and dirt/powder residue, etc.

2 Home Depot buckets stacked 1 inside the other. Drill holes in bottom of the inner bucket just smaller than a 9mm. Pour contents from tumbler Into inner bucket, place cover on top and shake. Clean brass in inner bucket, media in bottom of outer bucket, ready for use again. Best $10 you'll ever spend...... And to save space your can store a tumbler inside the bucket (turbo tumbler size)...

Edited by NoSteel

I use an old dish pan, they fit inside and a couple of shakes and most litter falls through. Put the second one on and flip a couple times to empty out the casings. No dust since I use the nu finish polish, When my hands and fingers are acting up I use two small spring clamps.
IMG_1745.jpg
one on each handle.
So far this arrangement has worked out for me, No mess, no fussing with water or pins. I only need the casing clean to handle and inspect them but since I leave them in for about 4 hours the come out shinny enough for me.
IMG_1163.jpg
Casing, my old strainers and the dish pan! Photo is an old one when I was still using dryer sheets, and really dirty range casings

• 2 weeks later...