Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

226 Stainless Elite - competition sights

cpa5oh

I need competition sights for a P226 Stainless Elite...and I'm not seeing very many options. I need a plain black rear and a nice thin fiber optic front - does anyone have any suggestions?

I ordered a set from Dawson that were supposed to work on a 226 but the rear looks like it's for a completely different gun - the part that goes into the slide is much wider (front to back) than the groove in the slide.

Reading through old threads it seems there wasn't much available even just two years ago...

Thank you!

I like that sight picture very much!

Is that this rear: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/285825/heinie-slantpro-sight-set-sig-sauer-p225-p226-p228-p239-steel-blue?cm_vc=ProductFinding

And what height Dawson front sight did you get and what is your point of aim/impact? I'm trying to get bullets to hit right at the top of the blade of my front sight...

Thank you so much!

I like that sight picture very much!

Is that this rear: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/285825/heinie-slantpro-sight-set-sig-sauer-p225-p226-p228-p239-steel-blue?cm_vc=ProductFinding

And what height Dawson front sight did you get and what is your point of aim/impact? I'm trying to get bullets to hit right at the top of the blade of my front sight...

Thank you so much!

Yes that is the rear sight I used. Sorry I can't remember the front sight height required for zero. You might try calling or messaging Bruce Gray. He might be able to tell you off the top of his head what height will get you in the ball park.

The best way to do this is to order your rear sight and install it first. Then figure out exactly where your rounds are printing with your current front sight, and how much if any you'd like to move your POI. Then calculate the exact front sight height you need:

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=SIGHTS+FRONT

Dawson has quite a few height and width combinations in stock. If you want a height that isn't listed, call them and they'll make a front sight for you to your exact height requirements:

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=8000183C-1388518384

As for the rear, I like the Warren Tactical. It's simply flat black, with no distractions, no visual clutter. The size and shape really frames the front sight well and helps to draw your attention to it in the notch:

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=80000EA1-1388518218

This is the combination I'm running on my stainless P226. I'm running a .140 height .125 width DP patridge front sight, and it fits and works fantastic! Note I'm using a Bar-Sto match barrel, and prefer a 1-1.5" 6:00 hold at 25 yards, so my preferred height may be different from yours. Also note that they have two different face styles. The face of a ramped sight angles away from the shooter (less snag, serrations more visible), while the face of a patridge sight angles slightly towards the shooter (shadowed face helps to emphasise both the fiber and edges of the sight). Both face styles are serrated to eliminate glare, and to give the eye a sharp, precise indicator to ensure exact optical focus for precision shots.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Jshuberg

The Heinie Sig rear is .220 tall. The Heinie front is .190 tall. They print pretty close to the tip of the post at 25 with several of my 226s. I use a .180 tall Dawson fiber with the Heinie rear on my match pistols (also 226s) b/c they didn't make it in the .190 height and it's close enough for my needs.

t

The 8/8 combo that came on my 226 worked pretty well for me, so I installed a Dawson FO front that matched my factory front height and just blacked out my factory rear sight.

I had Dawson install a Sevigny Competition rear sight with a Dawson .180 tall x .125 wide FO front in my 9mm Stainless Elite. The .125 wide sight is a little thick for my taste but works well with the Sevigny rear. The sales guy said that the .100 wide sight would be too narrow for that big rear notch; he was right. The notch of that sight is very wide, same size as the Warren Tactical. With 147 grain minor pf loads the POA/POI at 20 yards is just about right.

Finding a competition type sight combo for the P226 is a bit of a pain as there just isn't much to choose from.

Edited by blaster113

I prefer a .125 front with a .150 (Warren sized) rear, ratio wise.

My preferred gaming sights are a .090 wide front with a .115 rear notch (or secondarily, a .100 front with a .125 notch).

Dawson offers any of those combinations for the Sigs and as was noted, their CS is awesome.

t

I ordered the Warren rear with the .180 tall .100 wide front sight. I didn't return the sights from the first order - that was my fault for ordering stuff without knowing what I was doing, so I'm not going to make them go through the hassle of restocking and refunding. Should be here in the next few days. Getting the right grip setup is next to do...

Thank you all so much for your replies - I was stuck without the replies in this thread.

I had the same problem; I had the Warren rear and Dawson .100 wide front put on my P226R. This combo is super fast for close in hoser stuff but the rear sight notch is a bit too wide for everything else. I then mated the rear of a Heinie Slant Pro set and the skinny Dawson front. This combo works great; POA/POI at 20 yds is just about right with 147 gr. 130 pf reloads.

Edited by blaster113