Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 S&W 180gr VS 200gr

EddyB

The difference between 180 and 200 is what feel do you like. Here are some real scientific terms, do you prefer a pow pow or do you prefer a paka paka. 180 definately moves the slide faster, hence the pow pow and 200 is pretty slow on the slide and I feel every movement, hence the packa packa. I am not a fast shooter (Limited C), and I prefer the packa packa feel.

It is hard to describe, but I rush too much with 180's. Many of my shots are low and to the left. If I use 200's I almost feel like I am waiting on the slide and shoot much better. I am slow but smooth with a good hit factor versus fast and mashing the trigger with a low hit factor. This is the reason I have sold all of my light bullets and am sticking with 200 in 40 and 147 in 9mm. Try both and figure out what works better for you.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3.7 e3 200 grain BBI at 1.18 OAL winchester or CCI primers. 5'' Edge 173 PF chrono dependent. Very accurate, very friendly. Smoky as hell with e3.

Downloaded to about 3.3g e3 for minor. Probably still way above necessary for minor but super soft.

before:

4.7g WST 200 grain BBI same dimensions. Quieter, cleaner. Less smoky. Slightly less snappy for me.

• 3 years later...

this is the same reasoning why Dave Sevigny,  shoots a 45acp in SS.    And why in the past the major players when shooting 45acp, would choose a heavy bullets with a fast powder.   Very soft recoil.

If powder is still burning after the bullet leave the barrel, you get that "bark" of recoil.

So, shooting a 200gr with a fast powder, is the same as trying to duplicate a 230gr with a fast powder, such as in the 45.

Also, the benefit to doing a heavier bullets is maybe going lighter on the recoil spring.  

JMO

200 gr over 4.6 autocomp felt way softer than n320 for me. i alternate back and forth between 180s and 200s i get slightly tighter groups with 180s for some odd reason but its definitely snappier than 200s.. not harsh but more muzzle flip.

• 3 weeks later...