Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 S&W 180gr VS 200gr

EddyB

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

200's will also feel lower (sluggish) to some people. Your best bet is to try working up loads for 100 or so of each to the same power factor and see which you prefer. I shoot 180's and am perfectly happy with them. They are also a little cheaper than the 200's, less lead.

I am currently loading 200gr bayous over 4.5 grains of wsf and it is soft. I don't think it feels sluggish but perceived recoil is different from person to person. I have used solo 1000 with 180GR bayou bullets and that is also very soft. If I had more solo I would work up a load with the 200gr bullet. Buy a couple sample packs of each and see what you like best then make your choice and crank that handle.

I had been shooting 180/185 grain bullets for years with no wish to change and I happened to go by Blue Bullet's location to pick up some stuff and save the shipping. That was the first day they had their 200 grain .40 bullets ready to ship so I picked up 500 just to try. Put me on the 200 bandwagon for permanently. I won't go back to 180, I love them. In both my guns they are more accurate and give much less recoil in major or minor using RS Comp and e3.

Edited by bowenbuilt

Try both and see which works best for you. I run the Hornady 180 HAP bullets with 4.5grns of Titegroup and it runs nice. Have also shot the 200s for a minor load but never loaded them up to major. Just been too happy with my 180s.

I love my 200grn bullets have never felt sluggish, the recoil impulse IN MY OPINION feels smoother to me. What powder you plan on running?

Using titegroupe or/and CFE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just tried some Xtreme plated 180's and 200's with CFE and to me there was not really enough difference to matter. Loading 1.18 with 5.6 grains in the 180's and 5.0 grains in the 200's. Both just at 165 pf. Ran out of WST and was testing the CFE- looks like both loads need to be increased a little. I have to say that WST feels a little softer to me than CFE, btw.

What, no one has said they are waiting on the slide with the 200 gr bullets? I use to hear that dribble for years. I was timing a friend when his 2011 went full auto. Check out the split times. Like you can really pull the trigger that fast. Not going to happen.

What, no one has said they are waiting on the slide with the 200 gr bullets? I use to hear that dribble for years. I was timing a friend when his 2011 went full auto. Check out the split times. Like you can really pull the trigger that fast. Not going to happen.

Waiting on the slide if their thumb was riding it back into battery, maybe...

I used to feel like I was waiting for the slide to return to battery when I switched from shooting 124gr bullets in 9mm to shooting .40 S&W Minor with 180gr bullets. I have never felt it when shooting Major.

Cy, I am actually switching to 200's because of cost. From Xtreme I can buy 200's for the same price as 180's and I use less powder to make PF. I do think it slowed the slide down a tad but as anyone who has every shot with me knows, I don't use those slide bumps very often.

To me, the difference in felt recoil is negligible between these two bullet weights. Maximize your hard earned money, go with the 180gr.

Edited by pkm

To me, the difference in felt recoil is negligible between these two bullet weights. Maximize your hard earned money, go with the 180gr.

That's right, it must be my imagination playing tricks on me. Or it could be I just like to type. Larger bullet and less quick burning powder to make power factor. I wonder why we do it if it doesn't make any difference. Hmmmm I used to wonder and now I just don't know.

I was getting a little smoke with WST in the old BBI molys, but less with the new coating. I've tried some CFE with them and they were good. Just wasn't sure about the Titegroup. I'm going to load some up based on your experience.

Are you shooting the BBI 180's and what COL and how much powder?

Put me on the 200 bandwagon for permanently. I won't go back to 180, I love them. In both my guns they are more accurate and give much less recoil in major or minor using RS Comp and e3.

What load are your running with e3? I have a box of 500 200g Bayou's sitting on the bench. I just need a recipe for them.

I just tried 200gr - and didn't like them at all. Shot 180's and 200's back to back at 175 PF and the 180's were significantly softer, even with a larger powder charger to me. It's really a matter of opinion I think on what you like.