Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Technology and USPSA

zanthor

So I've been following 'wearable' technology pretty closely and as more of it gets to market the potential applications to sports and training is astounding. Right now the technology is very young and has little to no usable software written, but that will change soon enough.

An example would be using a google glass type device to give you a heads up display of relevant information. You could easily determine rounds fired or remaining, prompt reloads, possibly call shots or assist in target counting/transitions/engagement/etc.

My question for the veterans of our sport, those who have been around since the early days is this:

How did new technology get introduced to practical shooting. I'm sure the first time someone showed up with a compensated pistol with a magwell on it there was outrage about how it was cheating and such. I've heard stories about Winterset saying that they don't allow Optics for "Open Shooters" because they got beat too badly by Rick when he got a gun with an Optic on it.

I'd be interested to know how our sport evolved from simple guns to high tech.

Note: you can argue how it wouldn't help all you want, but I'm sure someone said that about optics on pistols at some point.

There's no way in the world that any amount of information displayed on a heads up display will make anyone shoot faster than you could without it...unless you are absolutely clueless and would get completely lost without something telling you where to go next.

However, there is nothing more painful than watching a new Production shooter put 10 rounds on an array, take 4 steps to the next array and look at the gun when it only goes bang once.

I could imagine the Google GLASS turning Red with a RELOAD image on it as it detects the 10th round.

Would be nice though to have a timer on there, showing the time from Beep to the last shot, with your last couple of splits displaying.

I could see some cool training associated apps with Google Glass like being able to see time and splits without looking down. Round count would be interesting too. Right now it seems like it would be much more of a distraction than a help during an actual match.

As far as how technology advances have been treated in USPSA, I am not sure that when someone steps on the range with something new that it is automatically daemonized as being cheating. I think usually shooters question just the usefulness of the new thingy until it proves itself. I have heard a lot of stories about shooters thinking that a dot would not benefit you until shooters started winning with them in a big way (was The Burner one of the first to compete at nationals with a dot?).

I can see a bunch of useful circumstances, especially in training. Imagine you can get a script to download replicating Max, Eric, Dave, etc...prior stage run. Steps, reloads, positions, etc. Never have to even step onto the course and you can run the stage in real time...talk about programming a stage...

If there is a spot you have to hit, color changes to yellow 3 steps out, red on step out and the target gets circled. If you shoot 3Gun, on those bug hunts through the woods...every target could be scripted and indicated...heck if you run by one, and it takes too much time to go back, just skip it, but if it saves you time...back up Jack. Just a tad of thinking outside the box, yes, I can see some real benefits in certain circumstances on some stage types.

USPSA has been at the forefront of technological advances in handgun platforms as well as accessories. Just have to get them in the right division to start with. I have not read the rules related to this topic, but there will likely have to be some interpretations made and maybe even some new rules to address the divisional differences.

I think it will be cool to see what folks come up with, especially given what has happened with the technology in just the past few years.

I can see a bunch of useful circumstances, especially in training. Imagine you can get a script to download replicating Max, Eric, Dave, etc...prior stage run. Steps, reloads, positions, etc. Never have to even step onto the course and you can run the stage in real time...talk about programming a stage...

If there is a spot you have to hit, color changes to yellow 3 steps out, red on step out and the target gets circled. If you shoot 3Gun, on those bug hunts through the woods...every target could be scripted and indicated...heck if you run by one, and it takes too much time to go back, just skip it, but if it saves you time...back up Jack. Just a tad of thinking outside the box, yes, I can see some real benefits in certain circumstances on some stage types.

USPSA has been at the forefront of technological advances in handgun platforms as well as accessories. Just have to get them in the right division to start with. I have not read the rules related to this topic, but there will likely have to be some interpretations made and maybe even some new rules to address the divisional differences.

I think it will be cool to see what folks come up with, especially given what has happened with the technology in just the past few years.

Interesting

You basically described a shoot on rails videogame

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Rail_shooters

Isn't this what the 35yr olds living in moms basement are doing with their PS3's and X-boxes?

However, there is nothing more painful than watching a new Production shooter put 10 rounds on an array, take 4 steps to the next array and look at the gun when it only goes bang once.

I could imagine the Google GLASS turning Red with a RELOAD image on it as it detects the 10th round.

Would be nice though to have a timer on there, showing the time from Beep to the last shot, with your last couple of splits displaying.

I disagree....I understand where you are coming from, but for the most part we all started out there or near there at one time or another. Without these guys our sport doesn't grow. It's painful for a bit but it gets better!

As far as the tech.... i don't see how it could really help you, if you start adding displays and stuff its just going to slow you down, when you are shooting to a plan subconsciously there is already no time to think really, this would just clog up that process.

Glass as it exists you have to look at it specifically which takes your vision from what you are seeing. We aren't far from the ability to do a visual overlay like a HUD in a jet fighter, your relevant information overlaying your natural field of vision. This post was intended to be far less about the actual technology and more to find out how USPSA has handled introduction of new technology in the past.

I'm certain that the first USPSA match didn't have SS, Production, Limited, L10 and Open divisions, but I haven't been around the sport long enough to know that history.

I know some would say it couldn't possibly be useful, but at one point someone looked at a computer and said the same thing. Now the government gives them away as part of welfare because they are considered a fundamental need (smart phones.)

Originally, the technology advances made better shooters better, or they went away. The crucible of competition proved or disproved the merit. When the merit was established, those who did not want to adopt new technology helped to form new divisions, limitations in the rules, or in some cases, entirely new sports. Except USPSA Open, all of our divisions and other action shooting sports are in essence a step back from the best performance levels (in terms of equipment of course) in the sport.

Before many of the divisions, there were things like the "Stock Gun Nationals". There were comped and red dot sighted 1911s in leather scabbard race holsters. i was fortunate to be a guest at the residence of John Shaw a few years ago, I marveled at some of the firearms in his collection. He pointed out one or two that he had won matches with, then one where he just said "Used that one to beat Enos the first time" with a big grin on his face. It was a verifiable history lesson in the guns and gear of one of the top shooters in the sport during a time of significant change, and a day I hope to always be able to recall. :)

What would be awesome is something like the trackingpoint scope integrated into google glass and your pistol that also helps you align the pistol while shooting

Isn't that what the sights/dots are for? Sighting aids won't help you fight the urge to jerk the trigger when the little sighting indicator goes from red to green.

Programming and marking targets and then tracking which have been engaged already might be handy, especially on memory stages.

What would be awesome is something like the trackingpoint scope integrated into google glass and your pistol that also helps you align the pistol while shooting

something like a heads up display, don't want to lean around the wall for that target just stick the gun around there and point it at the target and see the target on your display

Isn't that what the sights/dots are for? Sighting aids won't help you fight the urge to jerk the trigger when the little sighting indicator goes from red to green.

Programming and marking targets and then tracking which have been engaged already might be handy, especially on memory stages.

on the trackingpoint, you pull on the trigger but it doesnt fire until the sights line up

on the trackingpoint, you pull on the trigger but it doesnt fire until the sights line up

Then what's the point of competing? Kinda takes the game away from the game

This reminds me of Star Wars Episode IV when Luke uses the force over the targeting computer. Knowing when to do certain actions based on feel will always be faster than a computer telling you what to do and then reacting to that prompt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This reminds me of Star Wars Episode IV when Luke uses the force over the targeting computer. Knowing when to do certain actions based on feel will always be faster than a computer telling you what to do and then reacting to that prompt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the popular comments at the club is "Stop using the force, and start using your sights"

press trigger now .. press trigger now ................. press trigger now .. press trigger now .................. press trigger now .. MISS.. Reengage .. press trigger now .. press trigger now

• 2 weeks later...

I think it would be interesting if the software could inform you for instances when you should/shouldn't reengage a target or skip a disappearing one. Some way of setting a desired hit factor and alerting you when you're off track. For example If I got to the end of a stage with a disappearing target, but my HF was at an acceptable level, it would tell me not to waste the time engaging it.