Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shotgun pattern tuning

spiderman

Hello,

There's a lot to fitting a gun properly, but the short version is the higher the "comb" the higher the gun will shoot. So, the higher the cheek piece, the higher it should shoot for you. The absolute test is to pattern. Field guns may be 50/50- half the shot on top and half below the center line of the circle. Trap guns may be anywhere from 60/40(low) to 80/20(high).

Adjusting the height of the butt plate will not affect the pattern.

I have read that Pitch does affect the pattern height, but I have only adjusted pitch to make it fit in my shoulder pocket properly and have not noticed any pattern differences of consequence.

It would be great if you had an experienced trap shooter do this with you on the range.

Good luck

Thanks for the help.  I've read that proper site picture for setup in trap is to stack mid and front beads like figure 8.  If this is the case would installing a larger mid rib bead in conjunction with raising the cheek piece give a better point of reference for setup?

Hi,

I would avoid any "bead" work since they really are not that useful for shooting or set-up, once your stock fits and your mount is consistent.

I would start with stacked beads and shoot a fair amount, raising the comb a little bit at a time, depending on how much you like to "float" the target.

It will be trial and error and what you like to see when you break the bird. ATA shooters often have high ribbed, high stocked guns to always float the target to a greater or lesser degree.

Keep in mind that a fiqure 8 on someone else's trap designed shotgun will probably shoot higher than your fiqure 8 field gun. Rib height and design, bbl boring and bbl "hangers" can affect shot pattern as much as stocks.

I learned that the hard way, and expensive way!!

Good luck