Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Re-barreling a 4inch 627

Akacala

I know a few of you guys have re-barreled a 4inch 627 and was wondering what barrels you went with and why. I have one on the way and while I bet the 4inch shoots better then I do, I'm sure I won't be able to resist the idea of tinkering with it a bit.

Thanks!

Before the 929, I was thinking of putting a V-comp barrel on mine just because it's heavy and it will help reduce muzzle flip. Also it has a comp on it and I could run it in ICORE open division. A 27-2 barrel like Alec suggested would be cool too. A long lightweight barrel would transition nicely. The last thing I thought about was custom 6" bull barrel with no under lug like the profile of Rich Wolfe's ICORE revo. But I am plenty happy with my 627 PC 5" barrel.

I had my super converted to a 357. I peened the notches out beyond repair. At the same time I replaced the barrel and went with a 6.5 model 27 barrel and love it. As mentioned earlier it transitions fast and the longer sight radious helps with those farther shots.

Well, I checked Midway USA, Brownells, and Numrich to see if they even list it on their websites and they don't. So, you will have to call S&W directly here is a link to their Performance Center Services .I think it would be the best place to start, I have heard of them selling parts but I have never tried and I hope it works out for you!

Before the 929, I was thinking of putting a V-comp barrel on mine just because it's heavy and it will help reduce muzzle flip. Also it has a comp on it and I could run it in ICORE open division. A 27-2 barrel like Alec suggested would be cool too. A long lightweight barrel would transition nicely. The last thing I thought about was custom 6" bull barrel with no under lug like the profile of Rich Wolfe's ICORE revo. But I am plenty happy with my 627 PC 5" barrel.

Brian, who is making bull barrel blanks like that?

I know pinnacle makes them, but it's damn near impossible to get in contact with him.

If somebody here buys that model 27 barrel, be aware it looks like the front sight is NOT pinned, and will need to be milled off and have a weigand base installed.

I know pinnacle makes them, but it's damn near impossible to get in contact with him.

I one tried for about 6 months to contact them through e-mails and phone calls. They never returned a call or answered an email so I gave up having them do any work. I have seen some good work by them but if they are so busy that you can't even talk to them there isn't much point. It all worked out for the best since I was forced to learn how to do more things myself and now I own the tools and have the knowledge. A frame wrench and a lathe and you are in business for changing a barrel.

I one tried for about 6 months to contact them through e-mails and phone calls. They never returned a call or answered an email so I gave up having them do any work. I have seen some good work by them but if they are so busy that you can't even talk to them there isn't much point. It all worked out for the best since I was forced to learn how to do more things myself and now I own the tools and have the knowledge. A frame wrench and a lathe and you are in business for changing a barrel.

But where are you sourcing the actual barrel ?

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/revptbu.html

8-12 weeks for an n frame barrel, but that would be a great start. Someone with a lathe can turn it down the total OD a little, shorten and recrown, and with a mill put in some mid barrel ports or whatever...

You can do a blank...

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/barrel-blanks-tools/barrel-blanks/pistol-barrel-prod12381.aspx

Obviously need the tools and know how to make an actual barrel that you can use on gun.

No matter, plan on forgetting the project entirely while you wait...

I found a 8 3/8" model 27 barrel from a guy out of Dallas on GunBroker and put it on my 627. That was about 6 years ago. I see one of the links posted was for a guy on GunBroker that goes by the name Magnum Mark, this guy is the last person on the planet that I would buy anything from. He has a lot of stuff but I would not purchase from him.

Also, back then the ICORE rules said you could only use a factory barrel in limited so it made it hard to get what you wanted. Since that rule is gone it should open up a lot of other possibilities.

Edited by Gregg K

There's a "new" 6.5" 38 Spl Outdoorsman barrel on the S&W Forum listed in the Accesories section.

I bought a used 6.5" Outdoorsman barrel last fall with the hopes of finding a used 627 Pro and rebarreling it. I put the project on hold when word of the 929 came out. Looking back, I should have just bought a new 627 Pro and put my barrel on it, instead of waiting for the phone call to pick up my new 929.

There's a "new" 6.5" 38 Spl Outdoorsman barrel on the S&W Forum listed in the Accesories section.

I bought a used 6.5" Outdoorsman barrel last fall with the hopes of finding a used 627 Pro and rebarreling it. I put the project on hold when word of the 929 came out. Looking back, I should have just bought a new 627 Pro and put my barrel on it, instead of waiting for the phone call to pick up my new 929.

The S&W forum worked for me when I was looking for a 6.5" barrel for a 625. I put up a WTB add and had a 6" and 6.5" barrel purchased in less than a day, both were new that gunsmiths had sitting in parts boxes.

The 6.5" on my one of my 627's was just lucky timing, the gunsmith had ordered several from smith and had them in stock. I do like the way those barrels handle, whether real or imagined the long thin factory barrel do swing around and come out of the holster really quickly...

My open 627 has a 5" slab side bull barrell. That gun is very front heavy, if it were an inch longer still it would be an experience to swing around I think.

I see one of the links posted was for a guy on GunBroker that goes by the name Magnum Mark, this guy is the last person on the planet that I would buy anything from.

Sounds like the kind of guy who keeps posting a 27-7 on Gunbroker for $2000. ;)

I see one of the links posted was for a guy on GunBroker that goes by the name Magnum Mark, this guy is the last person on the planet that I would buy anything from. He has a lot of stuff but I would not purchase from him.

+1

I too have had a poor buying experience from this guy.

+10 on Magnum Mark. If you don't mind him sending what ever part he wants (instead of the part shown on the as), then he's your guy. Try to get him to make good on anything, good luck! You'll need a LOT of it. Personal experience!