Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are Nook Simple Touch still the recommended thing for electronic scori

bigarm

A local club (well, in Montana local is a relative term) still uses paper scoring, but is considering going to electronic scoring. Are Nook Simple Touch the preferred things to use? I looked them up and see them for $65 + shipping on Amazon which is usually fairly cheap, but found another site for $35 and free shipping. Quite a difference in price! Are they being phased out? Probably don'5 want to buy outdated stuff. Any information you could provide would be appreciated.

The good news is that they are fairly rugged, they should last you a good long time, and at $65 a piece they not only beat any alternative, they beat any alternative for the foreseeable future. I know I'm buing more of them at this price.

$65 is still $14 less than MSRP. There's also the $119 msrp nook glowlight with backlighting for use at night which is still in production, supposedly rootable even though there's no micro-sd card slot.

I don't understand the remark about the $35 devices not being visible in sunlight. That's the nook's major selling point: you can read it even with the sun directly beating down on the screen. E-ink, not backlit-LCD.

I don't understand the remark about the $35 devices not being visible in sunlight. That's the nook's major selling point: you can read it even with the sun directly beating down on the screen. E-ink, not backlit-LCD.

I think he bought some tablet other than a NST. At least that's my take.

Get new Nooks as cheap as you can and do not buy refurbished ones...they are refurbished for a reason. I know by experience.

Yeah, I bought 3 refurbs at walmart once. 2 were fine. The 3rd wouldn't go past the "welcome to your all-new nook" setup screen. Turns out the back of it was bowed out like it had exploded on the inside. It went back.

Posted here on 13 June by me: "Our club just bought some of these for our USPSA matches - Pyle Astro PTBL7C Android touch screens - good/bad/indifferent"?

Bill Noyes response: "Maybe all right. :) Looking at a link for it on amazon.com, it at least says it has a touch capacitive screen (the right kind) as opposed to that other really cheap 2-layer plastic screen that milks over white in outdoor light. The big question is battery life. When you run the screen brightness all the way up (you'll have to),how long will the battery go for? Only way to find out is try it."

We made the mistake of buying the $35 ones - buy the e-readers so you can actually see the screen in the sunlight!

So, is there more than one Nook Simple Touch? The cheaper site I found does not state what screen it has. I guess I just assumed that one would be the same as another unless it was a different make or something.

Nook simple touch e-readers and nook glow light e-readers both have e-ink displays which can be easily read in bright sunlight. REAL nook tablets (NOT e-readers) are backlit LCD screens and cost considerably more. They also run real (sort of) android.

I tried already. Put in your zip code and it says you can't get it in this area.

yea...I got an "out of stock" message when I put in my area code.

So try your zip code instead :D

Sorry man I couldn't resist.

I tried already. Put in your zip code and it says you can't get it in this area.

yea...I got an "out of stock" message when I put in my area code.

So try your zip code instead :D

Sorry man I couldn't resist.

Well played Zack...I would have jumped on that too! But you knew what I was talking about.