Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eric custom/gold team V8 vs V12 - tanfoglio open guns

BeerBaron

Hi Harley,

I shoot a small frame ported Eric type of gun in 9mm.

My use is IPSC open major. My loads are found north of the 7,5 grs of 3N37 and 8,5 grs of 3N38 on a COL of 29,5-29.7.

U need to check your forcing cone that the round chambers properly when loading long. Get back on how to solve that if you cant chamber your favo bullet in a long enough cartridge.

The large frame boys usually go a little longer, ive seen even 31 but that leaves you very little case to bullet grip on a 9x19.

Recoil spring is 11 lbs, i would suspect that shooting factory loads would require even lighter springs to cycle reliably. (even Eric himself uses 11 lbs springs for 38, IPSC major)

Buy yourself a good set of recoil springs, either Wolff or Grauffels shop. As you are on this side of the pond Grauffel is quicker. Try the 10 lbs for your light loads.

That looks like a lot of crimp...

Yea, it was too much crimp. I had the Lee FCD set wrong. I fixed it and my Dillon is squirting out perfect rounds now. Hardly any fail case gauge and if they do its just barely so I throw them in the practice bin. It's taken many nights in my reloading cave to get my 9,40, & 38 super loads correct but now that I do, it's a 15 minute quick change to a different caliber and loading is easy

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to bump an older thread I have thought about picking one of these up due to how good a CZ sp01 felt in my hand. I already shoot an open 2011 with 3 large barrel holes and a huge comp. Question I have for you Tanfo guys have the issues with these guns breaking upper barrel lugs been fixed? How flat can these guns really get? With so many of the 2011 guns now going with 8-9 holes in the barrel and large comps I am not scared to pour 10gr of 3n38 to the gun IF it can handle it. Which is what I am wanting to find out.