Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

lightened slide VS accuracy

sigsauerfan

is it supposed to affect accuracy??

i ask this because since i got my 17 slide lightened, accuracy is kind of gone south.
before i could get all shots inside a quarter at 15 yards easy, but since the job has been done by a gunsmith, it's now a 3 moa at the same distance with the same ammo !!
i know barrel lock up shouldn't have been affected from removing some weight off the front,but that's how it is now.......apart of having to run a 11 or 13 lbs RS ,nothing has been touched on the gun.
since the slide moves now faster,i wonder if it is possible that the barrel is now lifting up in the slide earlier than before, inducing a higher POH. had to give a full turn downward on my rear adjustable sight, but the problem is more that the gun now seems to shoot loose .
your thoughts??

post-23993-0-76545400-1405033285_thumb.j

post-23993-0-19380000-1405033360_thumb.j

Edited by sigsauerfan

discovered that now i have to load longer than the 1.130aol i was used to :surprise:

shot different ammo today,all were much longer.shot 1.150 aol ammo and the accuracy went back !!

however it still doesn't make sens,i try to pin point exactly how trimming some weight off the slide affect the accuracy to the point of having to change the aol, i struggle to find the right answer but it is what it is,although i'm gonna test some more .

thing is ,i'm not sure the longer aol won't induce FTF, but will see in match condition, i have a level 2 tomorow lolll. :unsure:

I machined my G22 slide and noticed no change in accuracy. I did drop my spring rate and load to match the lighter slide though.

The oal listed shouldn't cause any issues assuming you dont have any that dont quite seat as deep. Over 1.155" and they will begin hanging up in your mags.

Any chance you were over crimping your rds and causing a loss in accuracy?

I machined my G22 slide and noticed no change in accuracy. I did drop my spring rate and load to match the lighter slide though.

The oal listed shouldn't cause any issues assuming you dont have any that dont quite seat as deep. Over 1.155" and they will begin hanging up in your mags.

Any chance you were over crimping your rds and causing a loss in accuracy?

this fall on topic. it may be possible i had a batch of ammo that was not crimped enough.

i reviewed the reasons and the potential why my usual cartrige AOL seems to not work anymore after the slide lightening ,so i loaded both 1.130 and some 1.145 with special attention to crimp.

i want to get a clear view on this.

i'm a general range manager,so i'm hiting the range for work tomorrow. will test both ammo side by side,

if ever the 1.130 correctly crimped isn't working great as before the slide surgery ,i'll leave it at that and my new aol will end up at 1.145 ish that is all.

Edited by sigsauerfan

shot some 1.140 aol rounds today with different loads,nothing really work like it should .

still haven't found the gremlin cruising in my gun. one thing is, i'm gonna now try some 124 RN's . i've always shot 147's , but i now have to consider all the possible fix to the loss of accuracy since that gun went from an inch at 20 yards off a bench to a random 3 moa with the same exact rounds i've always used in that gun.

funny.

my theory is now that since the barrel uplift faster and earlier in the slide cycle, i can't use pet loads and sub minor ammo anymore which means i might have to either increase the load in 147, or trying to set the 124 off the muzzle quicker without having to boost it up too much, which seems that it's what i would have to do to get the 147 to work as good as before.....but then, i go full circle getting now more recoil after all the recoil armor mods are done haha!. maybe the 124 is the new ticket with the lighter slide .

Edited by sigsauerfan

If you think the slide is lifting faster why dont you bump your spring rate to counteract it?

Personally I would be looking elsewhere for your accuracy loss. Slide weight should not change things in respect to accuracy.

If you think the slide is lifting faster why dont you bump your spring rate to counteract it?

Personally I would be looking elsewhere for your accuracy loss. Slide weight should not change things in respect to accuracy.

tested a 11 as well as 13lbs (my go all fav RS) with no improvement whatsoever . i know something isn't right anyways. i know trimming some weight off a slide has no documented effect to the lock up slide-frame, but it all started when the gun got back from the smith,and i've read on another website that yes the slide cycling quicker can result in loss of accuracy,while i take that statement with a grain of salt . i shaved quite some weight off my 17 ,on the drastic side yep.

i checked everything + the sights, no signs...

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe something's going on with your sights, your slide lightning is minimal and it shouldn't be causing any issues.

to date best explanation is that probably i went too far with the lightening and now the slide moves too fast in relation with the loads i use. also someone mentionned that maybe the cuts on the top close to the breech might have changed something in the lock up, inducing more flex....though not sure what i think of this theory ..
when i got the gun back from the smith , i've had to give a full turn on the rear adjustable sight to get the poi back down to where it was before the cuts . it suggest the barrel start moving up in the slide much earlier,then shooting higher in a random way .
i still try to find a way to get the gun back to his previous level of consistence and accuracy with modified loads

My novice theory is to switch to lighter bullet weight. The little bit of weight reduction may be causing the bullet to exit barrel while slide is unlocking. In my pea brain this sounds logical. Without the barrel being in full lock up as the bullet exits, it's semi free to point the bullet in a different direction. Too far off base? I reckon a spring change could slow the slide down though. Wouldn't that counter act the training for lightening slide in the first place though?

From the slow motion footage I have seen, when the bullet leaves the barrel the slide has usually only moved back a fraction of an inch - nowhere near being unlocked as far as I remember

It happens very fast you know [emoji1]

Edited by CZinZA

From the slow motion footage I have seen, when the bullet leaves the barrel the slide has usually only moved back a fraction of an inch - nowhere near being unlocked as far as I remember

It happens very fast you know [emoji1]

I believe that the moment the slide travels rearward, it unlocks and the barrel begins tilting.

There is a short section of travel where everything travels straight back while still locked together. This is exactly what John browning's design does - it holds the barrel in lockup long enough for the bullet to leave. You should be able to see it by hand racking the slide, or by looking at the hole through which the slide stop goes on your barrel- there is a straight section before the curve that dips the barrel and unlocks everything

that gun went from an inch at 20 yards to 3 moa with the same rounds.

Sorry to nitpick when you have an obviously frustrating problem going unsolved,

BUT, isn't 3 moa at 20 yards 3/5 of an inch (0.60")?

Are your groups going 30 moa? (6" groups at 20 yards).

Or, is my math off, again??? :cheers:

Hope you get back to accurate loads, soon.

funny.

A lighter slide will start to move rearwards "Sooner" than a heavier slide. My guess is that it is unlocking prematurely and that is changing the barrel lockup angle as the bullet is still leaving the barrel. The easiest way to validate this is to switch to a very heavy recoil spring to see if the extra spring tension changes the timing of when the slide starts to come back verses when the bullet leaves the barrel. If your accuracy comes back to normal with a very heavy recoil spring then you know its a premature unlocking issue.

Edited by CHA-LEE