Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you count that fast?

DrLove

Just ask one of your squadmates to count for you ....or get one of the groupies at the match to help out ... Or better yet, since you won't be shooting on the same day as me just hire me to do it .... An 8 lb keg of WST should just about cover my fee .... :)

Can you play the drums? I guess I don't really count, but refer to my feel and sound back in my drumming days. Kinda like drum rudiments based on how many shots. You really don't count drumming just go by feel and sound. Works for me and don't have to think.

• 4 weeks later...

We shot CM 06-03 (Can you count) at our local club match this past weekend. It amazed me how many shooters have trouble with this.

Counting is easier than keeping your trigger finger from going all derpy.

Yeah, sometimes your trigger finger has a mind of its own. AKA Trigger Freeze.

We shot CM 06-03 (Can you count) at our local club match this past weekend. It amazed me how many shooters have trouble with this.

They have trouble because it is outside the norm and they don't realize it. Sure, sounds easy enough...shoot 5, reload, shoot 5...but how many times do you have an odd number of hits on a target? I bet there are people who can (and do) shoot 6 on each target faster than they can shoot 5 on each target. We train to put everything in pairs with USPSA paper targets, and so it becomes a habit to put 6 where it calls for 5...

Most paper targets require two hits. Count you Bill Drill in pairs pop-pop, pop-pop, pop-pop. Now you only count to three. Break it down to whatever terms your brain can process.

Missing the point....you are still counting using your conscious mind...true you are now only counting to 3, but still counting. It should be pop pop pop pop pop pop. If you are pausing between shots to count them, even if it's every 2 shots, you are losing time. Let your consciouness of the situation go.

Edit to fix typo....and to add...I am probably wrong!

Edited by GrumpyOne

They have trouble because it is outside the norm and they don't realize it. Sure, sounds easy enough...shoot 5, reload, shoot 5...but how many times do you have an odd number of hits on a target? I bet there are people who can (and do) shoot 6 on each target faster than they can shoot 5 on each target. We train to put everything in pairs with USPSA paper targets, and so it becomes a habit to put 6 where it calls for 5...
I agree 100%. Most shooters practice Bill Drills, Blake Drills and 4 aces. We hardly ever shoot an odd number.

I find the easiest method is to picture the drill, along with the shots, in your mind Then on the start signal don't consciously think about it. The subconscious will follow the blueprint you established. If it's 6 reload and 6, picture it in your mind then let your subconscious take over.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i can count fast. but not very high.. so i shoot production :)... seriously. you should count the trigger pulls not the shots. if you ever shoot suppressed or full auto, or more fun full auto supprssed. you count the pulses of the trigger against your finger to see how many rounds you are dumping.

You can't count that fast, so don't. Pre-plan that you are going to shoot 6 and then just shoot 6. You are trying to function on a conscious level, STOP THAT! LOL

Seriously don't try to count, visualize 6 shots, program your finger to pull the trigger 6 times and then just do that.

This.