Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you count that fast?

DrLove

ok, this this might sound weird, and might not. Anyway, I'm a shooter trying to improve my splits. Right now they are around 0.23 which is not bad but I know I have a gun (open gun) that can go sub 0.15sec if I can. It's kind of weird but I just can't count that fast. If I try to shoot that fast, I end up shooting more or less shots than I wanted (as in Bill drill for example) if I try to go so fast, I end up either shooting 7 or 5 shots cause I didn't count that fast. Your brain just doesn't work at those speeds.

Have you guys ever experienced that?

You are thinking to hard. Between consciously looking for a proper sight picture and consciously counting your shots, your brain cannot multitask that fast. When the target placement and distance is short enough that you can shoot that fast you need to let the sight picture be an unconscious action. At a greater distance you will only shoot as fast as you can see the target.

I don't count shots with numbers, just with pops, if I need to fire six shots during my walkthrough I hear pop, pop, pop, pop, pop, pop in my head to ingrain the rhythm; I think the words one, two, three, four, five, six require too much though. Then again I've never paid attention to how fast my splits nor practiced shooting them faster.

I GM I've shot with a few times pointed out that the best shooters didn't have fastest splits, but their splits were almost the same as their transitions. They shot with a smooth rhythm: pop, pop, pop, pop instead of the guys who were more concerned with splits: plap-plap... Plap-plap.

Edited by kneelingatlas

Most of our tactical training, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, involved counting your shots so you supposedly knew when to reload. Probably why it's not hard for me to do.

You can't count that fast, so don't. Pre-plan that you are going to shoot 6 and then just shoot 6. You are trying to function on a conscious level, STOP THAT! LOL

Seriously don't try to count, visualize 6 shots, program your finger to pull the trigger 6 times and then just do that.

Shooting needs to be with the subconscious mind. Your "counting" issues are because you are shooting with your conscious mind instead. Get Lanny Bassham's book "With Winning In Mind". It is THE definitive book on controlling the mental aspects of sports. Buy it, read it, reread it and follow his advice (all of it) not just the stuff that seems easy, and you'll be on your way. You'll never fix this issue until you can learn to get your conscious mind out of the way ...

Every chance you get, when someone else is shooting, count the shots in your head. Pretty soon it just gets second nature. You will eventually get to the point that even in the middle of a conversation you will hear and recognize when some shooter shoots the wrong number of shots. Just gotta train your mind.

Dwight

Dwight

Every chance you get, when someone else is shooting, count the shots in your head. Pretty soon it just gets second nature. You will eventually get to the point that even in the middle of a conversation you will hear and recognize when some shooter shoots the wrong number of shots. Just gotta train your mind.

Seems like the best advice to me.

When I "think" or "count" or do anything else except rely on the fundamentals and seeing what I need to see to break the shot, my times suffer tremendously. Experience helps train the brain and body to complete the task without methodically thinking about those tasks.

I shot a match recently where my scores were frankly embarrassing...just could never get on track. Having processed it afterwards, I have realized I was thinking (on the clocks) on all but one stage. When I can play back my actual stage runs in my mind perfectly, I was thinking too much and the times are slow. When I can play back my walk-through perfectly but not my actual stage run, those are my best stages. i sure hope that made enough sense to help you see that the actual counting while you are on the timer is detrimental to the final score.

You can't count that fast, so don't. Pre-plan that you are going to shoot 6 and then just shoot 6. You are trying to function on a conscious level, STOP THAT! LOL

Seriously don't try to count, visualize 6 shots, program your finger to pull the trigger 6 times and then just do that.

This. So much this.

You can't count that fast, so don't.

Really? I can easily count to 6 faster than I can shoot (under 1 second), even if I speak the numbers out loud. I think in actual shooting, I don't count so much as hear a pattern. Maybe having some limited musical background as a kid makes that easier.

Really? I can easily count to 6 faster than I can shoot (under 1 second), even if I speak the numbers out loud.

When are you doing your world record attempt (6 words per SECOND is world record speed BTW)?

Edited by MarkCO

Your brain just doesn't work at those speeds.

This is probably what's getting in your way. Watch what's going on with your sights and your dot. Don't worry about how fast you're going to be, or freak out about how you might mess up. Just do.

Your brain can certainly work at those speeds. .... As long as you are using the correct part of it ....

It's in the subconscious mind where all the magic happens ... You need to get your conscious mind out of the way when you shoot. If you are thinking about the number of shots or counting in any way you are using your conscious mind for the task, which as you already know, is way too slow ..

Sounds like a visualization issue. Seeing everything as a movie seems to work for a lot of people. You may need to run through this before 10 20 30 40 times. Then let the movie run using your sub conscious and have no judgement, thoughts etc while shooting.

Really? I can easily count to 6 faster than I can shoot (under 1 second), even if I speak the numbers out loud.

When are you doing your world record attempt (6 words per SECOND is world record speed BTW)?

It looks like 637 wpm is the world record for speaking. I'm bad at match, but that sounds like more than 10 words per minute, unless you are using metric minutes with 100-seconds.

I'd also bet they're not all 1 syllable words. Counting to six can easily be done under 1 second.

Edited by motosapiens