Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

After the trigger, what's the best way to improve accuracy?

3djedi

Im talking about increasing mechanical accuracy. Not how well of a shooter I may or may not be.

the trigger doesn't increase or decrease the mechanical accuracy.....your thread title is conflicted, probably why you got the "practice" responses.

Im talking about increasing mechanical accuracy. Not how well of a shooter I may or may not be.

Interesting concept. Not sure what your goal is, but accuracy would seem to be a combination of the gun capability and the shooter capability. What would be your guess as to the percentage of shooters who are good enough to even challenge the accuracy of the gun? My guess is maybe 0.1% or less. There is no path to replacing skill with mechanical revisions. In my experience the closest you can come to doing that is a high quality red dot sight.

If you insist on short cutting learning to shoot, I would suggest a red dot not a barrel change. Ain't no free lunch out there.

I have the Briley gunsmith fit barrel in my gen 3 G34 and can shoot fist size groups at 25 yards (just standing and shooting) when I do my job. I did the fitting myself - took 3 hours because I was so careful but I think it was worthwhile. I'm sure Bar Sto is as good if not better. (I didn't try the stock barrel - I shoot lead bullets, which was the first reason I got the barrel.)

Using a standard Glock barrel, my Gen4 G34 produced improved accuracy by finding and installing a tight-fitting Locking Block (subject of another thread) and by developing a load that pushes a 147-grain Montana Gold CMJ bullet along at 883fps. This load reduced the group diameter about 1/3 at 20 yards from the previous velocity of 950fps.

Chris

I would say finding a zero at 25y and a KKM barrel will help, it did for my G34 g4. Lockup got tighter.

Can't tell you how many times I got a target perf by a hair that would have made a difference in points down if I have a stock barrel. I like the mentality of maxing the gear so I know the only variable is me. I've also read black nitriding a SS barrel helps. I have TiN coating on a KKM barrel in a Zev 24 and it's the most accurate Glock I have.

Edited by Stician

TO ME; Factory barrels are fine (test it off a bench using a sand bag), Unless your shoot lead

Steel Guide rod

Reduced power recoil spring

Heavy mag-well

Adjustable sights

Make it fit you ;)

Here's what I shot today off hand, gun is sighted in at 15 yds

4 rounds, 15 yds, G17 w slide mounted Burris FF lll 8moa dot, I left one previous shot unpainted to have a specific aiming point, visible in the second pic

oIF5wGzl.jpg

20 yds, looks like I need to work on trigger pull , I am consistent though ;) any suggestions for improvement on the longer range ? adjust the dot to be on at 20, 25 ?

ogamK8ll.jpg

Edited by toothandnail

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend you zero from a benchrest to take the "shooter" out of the equation as much as possible

If you zero while shooting freestyle unsupported there are variables in your shooting that may be imperfect

But your groups look great for the distances you were shooting, very tight!

Zeroing at 25 yards with a 9mm will generally allow you to maintain the same point of aim from 0 - 50 yards, if shooting a red dot its probably the best option

For some reason, I get better groups shooting freestyle unsupported over using a rest! Can't figure it out........ I've tried with just sandbags and also a caldwell plastic rest. I wish for a ransom!

For some reason, I get better groups shooting freestyle unsupported over using a rest! Can't figure it out........ I've tried with just sandbags and also a caldwell plastic rest. I wish for a ransom!

Same here.I must be doing the same thing wrong.

Interesting concept. Not sure what your goal is, but accuracy would seem to be a combination of the gun capability and the shooter capability. What would be your guess as to the percentage of shooters who are good enough to even challenge the accuracy of the gun? My guess is maybe 0.1% or less. There is no path to replacing skill with mechanical revisions. In my experience the closest you can come to doing that is a high quality red dot sight.

If you insist on short cutting learning to shoot, I would suggest a red dot not a barrel change. Ain't no free lunch out there.

Try shooting an LC9 for 6 months with 25 yard accuracy free handed. The glock will shoot like a dream when you pick it up and blow thru 100 rounds. That's how my son done it. He's a stickler too. Harder on himself than anybody else.

Happy shooting and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try shooting an LC9 for 6 months with 25 yard accuracy free handed. The glock will shoot like a dream when you pick it up and blow thru 100 rounds. That's how my son done it. He's a stickler too. Harder on himself than anybody else.

Happy shooting and good luck!

LC9? Is that like a revolver trigger in a tiny plastic gun? lol That would definitely improve trigger control! After that the glock would feel like a 1911!

You are so right. It's my sons pocket pistol. Very reliable and he shoots it well. Has a long stiff trigger pull ya have to get used to. Lots of ppl hate it for the long pull. Happy shooting.