Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What the hell? primer pick up tubes?

Okay...

Have been considering getting a dillon setup, probably the 550B, and there is one massive hangup I have that keeps boggling my mind...

If Dillion products are arguably the most advanced reloading equipment out there, why the hell is the primer loading so archaic???

Picking up each primer one by one with a tube is absolute insanity to me if I am about to load 1,000 rounds, hell I'd rather stick with my Lee Loadmaster for that reason alone, all I have to do is dump 100 primers into the hopper at a time and I'm good to go...

Am I missing something here? How do you expect to save time when you have to pick up 1,000 primers one at a time?

Edited by nitrohuck

Dillon the most advance reloading equipment?---nope---especially the 550B. Heck,

you even have to advance it by hand.

Absolutely reliable reloading equipment that will crank out a bajillion rounds without

a hiccup---and if it does have a problem the manufacturer fixes it ASAP, no charge?

That's Dillon.

Buy a primer tube filler if it's that big a deal. I used to load tubes while watching the news

until I got a RF-100 off of a prize table. Now I use it for small pistol, and still hand load

the large primer tubes.

Get an RCBS and buy CCI primers that come in the APS strips....

Too funny. The APS strips redefine the word suck. And for real fun try the RCBS tool that loads the strips.

Seriously, loading the primer tubes is not time consuming and I have never felt the need to automate the task. Probably about a minute per tube so what's the big deal?

I think if you have mastered the quirks of the load master, you would be disappointed with the 550. I have often wondered if the blue kool-aid is really that much better and I'm sure I will give it a try one day but it will definitely be the 650 when I do

Okay...

Have been considering getting a dillon setup, probably the 550B, and there is one massive hangup I have that keeps boggling my mind...

If Dillion products are arguably the most advanced reloading equipment out there, why the hell is the primer loading so archaic???

Picking up each primer one by one with a tube is absolute insanity to me if I am about to load 1,000 rounds, hell I'd rather stick with my Lee Loadmaster for that reason alone, all I have to do is dump 100 primers into the hopper at a time and I'm good to go...

Am I missing something here? How do you expect to save time when you have to pick up 1,000 primers one at a time?

Thanks for the responses thus far guys, perhaps I am just making a mountain out of a mole hill,

I think if you have mastered the quirks of the load master, you would be disappointed with the 550. I have often wondered if the blue kool-aid is really that much better and I'm sure I will give it a try one day but it will definitely be the 650 when I do

This is what some one else told me the other day, before then I hadn't really considered the 650 but it might be the better choice for me afterall if I decide to go Dillon.

Okay...

Now THAT is what I'm talkin about Sarge,

If you ever have a hundred go off in that plastic feeder like I did back in the 80's with a Lee 1000 you will quickly understand why Dillon does it this way. I picked anvils out of my face and scalp for 3 months.

Buy more tubes, fill them before loading.

I have 10 tubes I think for small primers.

But really with the 550b after loading 100-200 rounds I am ready for a couple minute break and reloading some primer tubes is a decent little break.

Now running the 1050, I generally have a buddy over when we are really cranking on ammo and one of us will run the machine and the other will fill primer tubes. I think the most we did in one day was 7k rounds. That was a long day and I think my arm almost fell off. Generally when I run the 1050 by myself its for 500-1000 rounds and loading 10 primer tubes takes about 10 minutes before I get cranking. Not that bad at all really.

I will say it sounds worse than it is really.

+1 for this being a fake problem.

Well the OP admittadely doesnt own a Dillon so I am guessing he has no actual experience using the pickup tubes. I have no problem with them.

I would love a vibraprime, but from what I always read about them they are finicky. Loading on my 1050 its impossible to see the primer if its upside down or not before you seat it so for me, I dont want to take the chance so I continue to hunt and peck my primers the "old fashioned" way. I tried one of the cheap Frankford Arsenal units and it just didnt work well enough and caused some agravation that, again, I would rather continue to hunt and peck primers.

Okay...

+1000 on the PAL filler....I've had one for almost 2 years now and I use it regularly. I've got 10 primer tubes so I load one and empty it into the 650 and then load all 10 of them....I'm good for 1100 rounds. These have been a little hard to get lately but I found a website for a store in Canada that says they have some in stock....sells for $175 Canadian.