Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip pressure and hand tremors.

I am reading Ben Stoeger's Practical Pistol: Fundamental Techniques and Competition Skills book. Ben recommends gripping the gun hard, but if I grip the gun as hard as I can, my hands start to tremor causing the front sight to move around. Is it really advisable to grip the gun so hard your hands start to tremor causing the front sight to move around?

How hard can you grip the gun without shaking? I have a friend who is in your situation and she grips it hard as she can, but over time her muscles get tired and starts shaking again. This is very noticeable while practicing, but not as much on short stages.

I know it isn't just as simple as exercising the lean muscles for some people, but if you believe this can be overcome by strength workouts, I would begin there.

How hard can you grip the gun without shaking?

I know it isn't just as simple as exercising the lean muscles for some people, but if you believe this can be overcome by strength workouts, I would begin there.

Hard, my deadlift work set is 455lbs for 7 reps. I have a strong grip, but when I death grip the gun I get tremors, I would bet most people have tremors when the squeeze at 100%.

LOL, a death grip is not needed.

I guess it depends on what your definition of "need" is.

If you use 'your' grip of death (Hard as possible) on each stage, you 'might' be fatigued after a few stages.

I am reading Ben Stoeger's Practical Pistol: Fundamental Techniques and Competition Skills book. Ben recommends gripping the gun hard, but if I grip the gun as hard as I can, my hands start to tremor causing the front sight to move around. Is it really advisable to grip the gun so hard your hands start to tremor causing the front sight to move around?

No.

I have found that 100% grip strength is not needed, especially if you keep your elbows high so that your hands naturally clamp both sides of the gun. Don't get me wrong, I do have a firm grip, but it is not 100% and there is no tremor when I do it right.

Grip strength is relative to the shooter.. 80% to one person may be the equivalent of 50% to another. Also, more grip pressure may be needed when shooting a 1911 in 45, versus a soft shooting Glock 9mm. You want to grip the gun as hard as you can but not cause shaking or affect your trigger pull. Shoot a drill like a Bill Drill with factory 45 ammo and you will see what grip strength is needed to control recoil and negate the effects of trigger pull.

Grip until you shake then back off just a little, make sure your trigger finger can manipulate the trigger properly, flare your elbows out a little to increase torque on the gun without increasing muscle fatigue in your hands.

I have seen and heard this topic or question a lot. Many people, me included, say grip the gun hard. However, I have never seen anybody say grip the gun 100% of your grip strength. Nobody would ever be able to keep that up for more than a few seconds and you would tire your forearms very quickly. Find a way to work on grip strength and it will definitely help. You can use the grip trainers or find a way to incorporate it into workouts. Pullups and barbell work (dead lifts, cleans, ect) will greatly increase your grip strength.

Rob Leatham in the video explains it as clear as it can be. No percentages, no numbers, just as hard as you can with out influencing your trigger finger and with out causing tremors. He also mentions when shooting fast. I know I grip a lot harder on close arrays than I do on long partials and steel because I am driving the gun harder for splits and transitions.

Hard, my deadlift work set is 455lbs for 7 reps. I have a strong grip, but when I death grip the gun I get tremors, I would bet most people have tremors when the squeeze at 100%.

Deadlifting isn't the same as focused grip work. My work sets are in the high 300s and I'll do singles in the low 400s, but a CoC #1 gives me a good gripping workout.

I grip the gun as hard as I can without shaking. It makes a world of difference in split times on mid-range targets.

Gripping hard, dosen't mean as hard as you can. Just hard enough so it does not restrict the trigger finger freedom of movement during multiple shots, if that causes trembling get a handgrip exerciser.

• 2 weeks later...

OP have you tried any of this? What are your results?

I have not tried anything, I was always gripping the gun hard, just not to the point that I induced tremors. Per the Leatham vid and my own facilties of discernment I decided to just continue gripping the gun the way I always had.