Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best disposable foam earplugs?

I'm guessing they're all the same, but I am looking for some good foam earplugs while my custom silicone ones are being made. I would like to find some that don't bend or expand rapidly when they get hot and/or wet, that drowns out rifle blasts as much as possible. Does such a thing exist? I have tried multiple pairs and they work great in the AC but when it gets hot, humid, and sweaty, they poof up too fast and go limp, and I can't insert them as much as I need to. Any advice? I have some Pro Ears muffs on the way and got fitted for Hear Pro customs a week ago.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Im a fan of the semi-disposable surefire ear plugs they are about $10 a pair and last 20 to 30 times before I toss them... at least for shotgun, everything else I use electronic ear-pro.

I bet if you cleaned them and kept them in the cases they would last a bit longer, but I just buy the bulk pack for $200 and toss them after a few weeks at the range. The Mediums seem to fit everyone comfortably

I always used the Howard Leight MAX disposable plugs for motorcycling and shooting before I got molded plugs. They are cheap and have a NRR of 33dB.

We have "spark plugs" at well sight. I'm not sure who makes them, but reduction is 33 as well and unless drenched they dont swell up. Very comfortable, depending on your room mate you can sleep in them, never have irritate my ears and all I have used at matches since 2003. I have some very nice custom plugs with amplification and they are great, but forcomfort over a 24 hour period Spark Plugs are the best iI've found!

I get the best value bulk pack of these I can find.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Tekk-Protection-Multi-Color-Disposable-Earplugs-80-Pack-92800-80025T/202691611

I put them in before the range goes hot and leave them in all day. They're all day comfortable and work really well for me. I double protect with muffs, too. Then again I've really not had any problems with similar products, either.

Just got back from the ear doctor, right ear is perfect but long guns and probably car stereos in my previous life are taking a toll on my left, have a maybe 10db dip around 4-6kHz which is tell tale of damage due to overexposure. Of course it didn't help that there was a hum from the air conditioner on my left side either that I could hear right through the sound booth and felt that it drowned some sounds out. Still within the normal range, but I need to be more careful. So regardless, nothing but doubling up for me from now on. Impressions are shipping out to Hear Pro in mañana. Just need to make it another month or so.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

We have "spark plugs" at well sight. I'm not sure who makes them, but reduction is 33 as well and unless drenched they dont swell up. Very comfortable, depending on your room mate you can sleep in them, never have irritate my ears and all I have used at matches since 2003. I have some very nice custom plugs with amplification and they are great, but forcomfort over a 24 hour period Spark Plugs are the best iI've found!

The "Spark" plugs are made by Moldex. We have them at work as well. They are good plugs, and comparable to the EAR Blasts in performance. They are however quite a bit larger in size, and I have more trouble getting them into my ear canal. The blasts go in much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Moldex Sparkplugs. Best I have used

This is what I use as well when shooting shotgun, AR, or am around anything with a brake. :). They do work quite well. Prior to these I primarily used EAR plugs.

. I still use electronic ear muffs for most handgun shooting and matches.

I get the best value bulk pack of these I can find.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Tekk-Protection-Multi-Color-Disposable-Earplugs-80-Pack-92800-80025T/202691611

I put them in before the range goes hot and leave them in all day. They're all day comfortable and work really well for me. I double protect with muffs, too. Then again I've really not had any problems with similar products, either.

I've been using these since I posted this but recently ran into the same problem I had before. If they are in the air conditioning and I put them in they work great. If they get hot at all, or if I have to talk to someone so I take them out and try to put them back in or whatever, they expand too quickly and are not firm or small enough to go into my ear. It just really doesn't take much and they are useless. I've been trying to put them in after they've been sitting in the AC then leaving them in the whole time, its the only way they will work. My silicone Hear Pros should be here before too long plus I have some good muffs now.

• 4 weeks later...

I really like the Howard Leight Max Lite disposables. Provided you follow the directions and roll them small they fit great in my ears. They almost work too well. I don't have a lot of experience shooting in really humid weather, just the dry heat of Las Vegas.

I always used the Howard Leight MAX disposable plugs for motorcycling and shooting before I got molded plugs. They are cheap and have a NRR of 33dB.

These. You can get a box of 200 of these from Amazon for about 20.00. Awesome