Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

In the Zone

Craig N

I shot the Carolina Cup this passed weekend and I'm not gonna say I was in a Zen state but I just didn't let anything bother me.

PE on this stage

A mike or 2 on the weak hand shooting stage

Shooting what many people consider a National level match

Crappy hotel room, poor service at fast food joint, my friend not getting there till the 3rd day I was in her area.

There was a ton of things that I could have got upset, mad, ticked over. Even had someone question my go fast knobs on my holster and have to go check with the higher ups while I was in the hole. I knew they were legal per IDPA rules so it didn't bother me.

I just shot my match and left the stage on the bay. It was kinda surreal now that I think about it. My mental game was better than it had ever been. I just locked on my 1st target and ran my plan through my head one finally time before the buzzer. When I thought I made an error I didn't stop and think about it, I just moved on to the next target. Used to be when I thought I messed up people said it was like pausing a movie. I really think I learned a thing or 2 and moved up a level in my progress.

I came in 3rd place ESP Marksman and beat 33 people in my division so I should get a bump. I was 179 out of 331 so I didn't quite make the top 50% but it let me know where I stand outside of the 2 clubs I shoot at.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Saul of double alpha has a YouTube story of this and I try to stick to his way of thinking. Long story short he was at a match and tanked a stage and it affected him thru the whole match. Turns out they tossed the stage st the end. So his negative outlook affected him the whole day and turns out it wasn't needed. 

• 9 months later...
On 6/27/2014 at 3:20 PM, Craig N said:

I shot the Carolina Cup this passed weekend and I'm not gonna say I was in a Zen state but I just didn't let anything bother me.

PE on this stage

A mike or 2 on the weak hand shooting stage

Shooting what many people consider a National level match

Crappy hotel room, poor service at fast food joint, my friend not getting there till the 3rd day I was in her area.

There was a ton of things that I could have got upset, mad, ticked over. Even had someone question my go fast knobs on my holster and have to go check with the higher ups while I was in the hole. I knew they were legal per IDPA rules so it didn't bother me.

I just shot my match and left the stage on the bay. It was kinda surreal now that I think about it. My mental game was better than it had ever been. I just locked on my 1st target and ran my plan through my head one finally time before the buzzer. When I thought I made an error I didn't stop and think about it, I just moved on to the next target. Used to be when I thought I messed up people said it was like pausing a movie. I really think I learned a thing or 2 and moved up a level in my progress.

I came in 3rd place ESP Marksman and beat 33 people in my division so I should get a bump. I was 179 out of 331 so I didn't quite make the top 50% but it let me know where I stand outside of the 2 clubs I shoot at.

I read letters

Till A followed IDP

This zen you speak of 

All but up and left me

I'm glad you had a great time being the best version of yourself.