Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Vortex Razor II 4.5-27x56 scope arrived today

Rob01

Ok here are some pics of the new 4.5-27x next to the S&B 5-25 and original Razor 5-20x. Figured I would put all three together for people to see size comparisons. The Razor II has the 4" sunshade on it and the S&B has the 2.5" sunshade. After mounting and looking through my window at some trees about 100 yards away, I was amazed at how clear the new Razor II was. Honestly both being set on 15x it was as clear as the S&B. A fellow Hide member came over and looked through both and said the same thing.

This production scope gives me the same feelings and feedback as the one that sold me at SHOT. It has the EBR-1C reticle. Illumination is very good and easy to see. Knobs are tactile and audible in their clicks and everything has the feeling of a very well put together scope. As mentioned glass is amazing and no tunneling at lower power.

Hopefully I will get out on Saturday and get it zeroed and put it through it's paces. That is if i don't get stuck on overtime at work Will try and get some through the scope pics too although my skill at those pics is well known as not good at best LOL
VSO10BT.jpg
HStoVfz.jpg
wFamhWR.jpg
MhoCY2t.jpg
6ZmlCAU.jpg
cWqHB4T.jpg

Hey Rob,

I'm off tomorrow and plan to head to the range in the a.m. I could stop by and take those scopes/rifles off your hands and try to sight them in for ya while you're at work! :devil:

It does sound like the new Vortex is impressive.

David

LOL Thanks for the offer but I want to be the one to put the first rounds through it. ;) You can come check it out Saturday morning if you want if I don;t get OT.

The eye box is excellent. Big and easy to get behind.

The original Razor is a very good scope in it's price range but the new Razor II is a different scope for sure and will easily compete with the higher end scopes in all categories from glass to knobs. If you get to see one in person you will understand.

Well I posted up some home pics the other day of my new Vortex Razor II 4.5-27x56 but finally got to go to the range today to test it out. I took the S&B 5-25x56 along for a side by side glass comparison. So lets get that subjective test out of the way first. I couldn't tell a difference between the two. The Vortex is very bright and clear and I also didn't see any CA. Another different Hide member was there today and he also looked through both scopes. He also couldn't tell the difference. I think this speaks volumes for the Vortex. I will hopefully get to get out at dusk sometime soon to test the lowlight ability but from what I saw today I would be surprised if the Vortex lowlight wasn't right there with the S&B.

Zeroing was simple using the Vortex video instructions. Being able to get the zero dead on and not be a little high or low due to click spacing is another nice feature of this scope. When you use the screwdriver to adjust with the knob caps off to can dial between "clicks" as there are no audible clicks when zeroing. There are audible clicks when actually dialing though. Here is a little video I did so you can see and hear it. I am not a professional photographer or videographer so excuse the roughness of video and pics in this post.
th_DSCN2136_zps0fcbd337.jpg

I also put my 10 mil tracking target out at 100 yards and checked the reticle and elevation tracking. The reticle was right on when laid on top of the chart. Elevation tracked perfectly as well up to 10 mils. I shot the elevation so if I am a hair high or low I discount it as cartridge/shooter variances as i have for years with scopes. Been doing it long enough to know when the scope is the problem and this scope was right on. Here are a couple pics of the tracking board. At 8 mils the right shot was the shooter not paying attention and putting a little cant in the rifle. I shot 9 and 10 mils and then went back and shot 8 again which is the shot right at the 8 mil mark.
snjcxgH.jpg
DOYU6ZH.jpg

So here are some through the scope pics at the 400 yard target backer. As mentioned earlier and in other posts I am not a photographer so don't expect a lot from the pics and definitely don't try and use them as a way to judge the glass LOL I can tell you that the reticle was easy to see and even down to 6x you could see the marks and numbers fairly easily. The pictures lose this some but with the eye in person you can see them. Even at 4.5 power they are seen but it's tough. At .03 mils wide the reticle doesn't cover alot of the target so it allows for precise shots but it's heavy enough to be seen.

27x You could still see 7 mils on the reticle to use for holds.
3T4XQfS.jpg

20x You could see 9.5 mils on the reticle. At about 18x you get the full 10 mils in the reticle.
b3FhuTY.jpg

15x
XcEpvQI.jpg

10x
lQSnSnJ.jpg

6x In person you can still see numbers
ITpTkFJ.jpg

4.5x
x2h74r8.jpg

Here is another 4.5x shot on a post at 20 yards. I saw someone asking about closer in shots than 100 yards and yes the scope stays clear with the, as well. You can adjust parallax down to 32 yards but turning the power down allows for a clear shot. And again in person you can see the reticle better. I didn't try a higher power as I was trying to get a good shot of the reticle at 4.5x but the camera doesn't pick it up very well.
SciLpR5.jpg

To summarize, I am very impressed with the scope. Tracks perfectly, has a very usable reticle and very clear glass. Not sure what else I could ask for in a scope. Honestly I am thinking about selling my S&B and getting a third Vortex. Now I am sure there is something I missed so any questions just ask away and I will do my best to answer them or get the answer.

otBCcqd.jpg
n5WfStU.jpg
YsIgU6Y.jpg

Thanks Glad I could help out.

Took the scope back out today to be looked at by another Hide member and also a S&B 5-25x owner. He was impressed at how clear the 4.5-27x was and also the great field of view at higher powers. He said Vortex has a winner. He liked the locking turrets as he has also fell victim to the windage turret moving while slung at a stage in a match. He also like the illumination which was daylight visible at setting 5 and up and had no bleed.

Also, someone in another thread asked "Does the color of the new Razor II match the shade used for their 1-6x?" The 1-6 seems to be a little greener and the 4.5-27 is a little browner. Here are a couple pics. One in the sun and one in the shade.

ScHvIhj.jpg
BgCZ2tj.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

To summarize, I am very impressed with the scope. Tracks perfectly, has a very usable reticle and very clear glass. Not sure what else I could ask for in a scope. Honestly I am thinking about selling my S&B and getting a third Vortex.

Well for anyone wondering if I was blowing smoke with my statement that I might sell my S&B and get another Vortex 4.5-27x well here is the answer, I'm not ;) Sold the other day and another Vortex Razor II was ordered. Yes the scope is that good.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Got my second one in. Same reticle so nothing really new to show but a pic on a shorter barreled rifle for people who might have one and interested in the scope. This is on my 20" .308 with Surefire brake. The scope has the 4" sunshade on it.

adkdiK2.jpg
eB2OnJG.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Still looking good ;) I still need to find time to shoot at Ledyard LOL Just been busy. Have my second scope I haven;t even got a chance to zero it yet. Give Jim a call and he will help you get your rifle range stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Figured I would put all three together for people to see size comparisons.

You sure you're not just showing off? ;) Nice looking glass.

Nah just a reminder of what the S&B looks like as it was sold and I got another Razor II ;)

I'm just amazed at the power range they are pushing scopes to. 4.5-27 is a 6x range! Good grief, 4x was cutting edge just a few years ago.

And if the quality of this new scope is anything like my compact Razor 11-33x spotting scope, it'll be a killer.