Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can you tame 5.56 as much as 223 with ajustable gas system and LMOS?

lucas

I didn't stay at Holiday Inn express but 193 is pretty hot ammo and feels snappy in my gun. I have the JP light carrier, captured buffer and adj gas, turned down to just above what it takes to lock the bolt back. I still feels snappier than some 75 grain Hornady Tap I was shooting the other day.

After all that, my answer is, in my experience, not really. It's going to bark but I shoot a lot of it too and love it because the price is comparatively reasonable. It does fine on accuracy out to around 300, seems to open up beyond there. For an FMJ it is surprisingly effective on coyotes. I used to shoot 52 grain hollow points and the 193 seems to stop them just as well. Plus, i don't have to load it and I hate reloading so....

The ability to tune the recoil impulse feel with be decided by the setup of your rifle. Will you be able to lessen the felt impulse of the hotter ammo(~3200fps)? Yes. Will you be able to make it feel the same as something pushing 2900fps? No

A fixed carbine length full mass system will have more felt recoil than the same setup in rifle length gas. How is your rifle setup as far as carrier, buffer, gas block, gas length?

Edited by LoganbillJ

yes...I've have a huge pile of Prvi xm193 that I've been burning up in 3 gun matches this summer and my rifle shoots smooth as butter. I'm sure it would be softer with a less juicy round but it's already so damn easy to shoot I can't imagine it getting any better. i'll move over to something softer when my prvi runs out but to answer your question...yes it can be smooth if you're running it in a gun with LMOS and adj gas

There is a difference, but almost no American manuals list 5.56 loads, just .223 loads.

Yes, you can still turn down the gas volume and soften up the recoil, but when you have more energy in the system, you can not mitigate it all. Over the past few years, testing comps, i found that the most systems have a "preferred" load and changes in the parameter set change the recoil impulse, not just in how it is felt, but in how it affects the sight picture. .223 recoil, and 5.56 recoil is nothing, what you are hunting for is the performance window that lets you shoot as fast as possible. That was one of the parameters I tried to maximize in the Gas Hog comp...the widest window of the same sight picture across variable loads.

That said, only your eyes and trigger finger can decide if you are giving up time on hoser, mid-range and the 400 600 yards targets by your choice of components and loads. The longer the distances get, the less the effect of load and components on actual speed.

There is a difference, but almost no American manuals list 5.56 loads, just .223 loads.

Ramshot does, but their powders are unicorns on double rainbows nowdays. Other stuff I see in stock on and off, but TAC is missing in action.