Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I need a holster for 3 gun and USPSA for my Edge

When I bought my used Edge it came with a CR speed holster. I am not fond of the retention on this. It can catch on things and pull the gun out. I have a blade tech for a 1911 and it seems fine. I have heard good things about center of mass, but they seem more expensive. Are they worth it? What specific holsters do you suggest and would be legal for both?

I also use a CR Speed Holster and in my case not had any problems with retention. At the 2014 Texas Multigun I saw a competitor outrun his pistol leaving it on the ground when he started a 40 yard run. He was wearing a CR Speed and I do not know if it was locked or not.

In 3 gun, my concerns for the CR Speed holster is the possibility of knocking it loose with my long gun or the side of a barricade or something. When I only need to control my pistol, I automatically shield the pistol with my strong hand. Can't do that with rifle/shotgun in my hand.

I took delivery last week of a Center of Mass holster. Today was the first time I got to play with it. At this point its much slower than the CR Speed (expected) and I find that when I draw the gun I need to pull it into my side to get it to come out smooth. If I try to pull it straight out or pull it out away from my side, it binds.

The COM feels very secure but will require some practice before I'm fully comfortable with it. I need to experiment on just how much tension I need to keep the gun secure under all circumstances.

One benefit that I saw immediately with the COM holster is re-holstering the pistol. It cannot be done quickly with the CR Speed but it is a quickly acquired skill with the COM holster. This was never a concern until I reviewed some 3 Gun Nation Regional Videos. On one stage, every video shows the shooter re-holstering their gun.

The competitors are permitted to re-holster. On a stage where it would be beneficial to re-holster and use the pistol later in the stage, the COM is a winner.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

I also use a CR Speed Holster and in my case not had any problems with retention. At the 2014 Texas Multigun I saw a competitor outrun his pistol leaving it on the ground when he started a 40 yard run. He was wearing a CR Speed and I do not know if it was locked or not.

In 3 gun, my concerns for the CR Speed holster is the possibility of knocking it loose with my long gun or the side of a barricade or something. When I only need to control my pistol, I automatically shield the pistol with my strong hand. Can't do that with rifle/shotgun in my hand.

I took delivery last week of a Center of Mass holster. Today was the first time I got to play with it. At this point its much slower than the CR Speed (expected) and I find that when I draw the gun I need to pull it into my side to get it to come out smooth. If I try to pull it straight out or pull it out away from my side, it binds.

The COM feels very secure but will require some practice before I'm fully comfortable with it. I need to experiment on just how much tension I need to keep the gun secure under all circumstances.

One benefit that I saw immediately with the COM holster is re-holstering the pistol. It cannot be done quickly with the CR Speed but it is a quickly acquired skill with the COM holster. This was never a concern until I reviewed some 3 Gun Nation Regional Videos. On one stage, every video shows the shooter re-holstering their gun.

The competitors are permitted to re-holster. On a stage where it would be beneficial to re-holster and use the pistol later in the stage, the COM is a winner.

Bill

Rick from Center of Mass recently passed away. I think he ways a one man shop so lively there will b no more opportunity to buy CoM holsters.

I use a Blade-Tech WRS level2 with the Gen2 belt for 3 gun and for USPSA matches, I use a CR speed holster. You could use the WRS holster for USPSA and dont use the hammer shroud.

My concern with the WRS is that USPSA rules specify that if your holster has a retention strap that it must be engaged.

Here is the rule:

5.2.5.3 Unless specified in the written stage briefing, or unless required by a Range Officer, the position of holsters and allied equipment on the belt must not be moved or changed by a competitor during a match. If a retaining strap is attached to a holster or magazine pouch, it must be applied or closed prior to issuance of the Standby command.

Bill

Rick from Center of Mass recently passed away. I think he ways a one man shop so lively there will b no more opportunity to buy CoM holsters.

Someone had posted that Rick passed away after surgery. From what I see, COM is a good product. Maybe a family member can carry on the tradition.

Safariland ALS. They make one that fits the Edge, with or without the light rails. It is a locking holster with a thumb pressed button. I got it for 3gun for my M&P but now I use for everything as it isn't any slower then my bladetech once you practice with it a bit.

That is terrible about the owner of center of mass. Everything I read about them was pretty positive. Since I now use an STI Edge I am in limited class. Can you use the Blade Tech DOS holster in limited in USPSA and 3 gun?

That is terrible about the owner of center of mass. Everything I read about them was pretty positive. Since I now use an STI Edge I am in limited class. Can you use the Blade Tech DOS holster in limited in USPSA and 3 gun?

Yes, blade tech DOS will be legal for both as long an you watch the 2" USPSA rule. My DOS on a TMMS hanger was just a bit over over 2.5. The DOS hanger also points the muzzle in towards your leg a bit more than I like too. Both problems can be fixed with a few strategically placed washers or a bit of time with a heat gun.

Ben Stoeger also offers a nice alternative that I think is blade tech with an improved DOS hanger that looks to be much better.

Yes, blade tech DOS will be legal for both as long an you watch the 2" USPSA rule. My DOS on a TMMS hanger was just a bit over over 2.5. The DOS hanger also points the muzzle in towards your leg a bit more than I like too. Both problems can be fixed with a few strategically placed washers or a bit of time with a heat gun.

Ben Stoeger also offers a nice alternative that I think is blade tech with an improved DOS hanger that looks to be much better.

I just checked out the Ben Stoeger holster and it looks very interesting. Can it be attached with a tek lok? I really like how it is so easy to take things on and off and move things around with the tek loks.

Also the Ready Tactical looks good also, but once again, can it be attached with tek loks?

I have really considered having two belts as poortrader mentioned. Right now I have a CR speed belt. I measured 44" and ordered 48" and it fits good with lots of overlap. I hear DAA belts are stiffer which might be good for 3 gun with all that stuff hanging off it. Sometimes with everything on I think I could use a stiffer belt. Do you order them the same way - adding 4" to your size? Different sites seem to say different ways to measure for the right size. I like having the extra overlap especially for 3 gun stuff.

For DAA you order your normal size. They are a bit more stiff but not enough to order a new belt unless you want a second.

Safariland ELS is also another option that is popular with 3 Gun, easier to set up for modular attachments with the ELS clips. It isn't as stiff as the CR speed or the DAA however.

I really like using ELS or Blade Tech TMMS attachments to remove or reposition 3 gun gear. 3 gun gear can get heavy so it's great to be able to unclip and leave gear that is not needed for particular stages.

Edited by alma

Safariland ALS. They make one that fits the Edge, with or without the light rails. It is a locking holster with a thumb pressed button. I got it for 3gun for my M&P but now I use for everything as it isn't any slower then my bladetech once you practice with it a bit.

What model number ALS are you using for your Edge. Looking for one for my Eagle

I'm not, note that I use an ALS for my M&P, but I like the holster, here is their model chart http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6378

It sounds to me like you might want 6378-56-411

I'm not, note that I use an ALS for my M&P, but I like the holster, here is their model chart http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/product.aspx?pid=6378

It sounds to me like you might want 6378-56-411

Thanks, I'll swing by G-T and look today, they have a pretty good selection of Safariland.

I decided on ordering from http://shop.tac-tech-cal.com/CUSTOM-Holster-Order_c10.htm like the picture shown except the black part to be carbon fiber blue. I have a Blade Tech D/OS attachment that I will try on the holster. I ordered the holster with a Tek Lok. If I don't like it, I can order the BOSS hanger from Ben Stoeger. I didn't order it now because it can not be used with the Tek Lok and I really like that attachment system.

Can you elaborate on the washers? What size, how to set up, etc.? I would like to have the muzzle not point too towards the leg. Thanks

Can you elaborate on the washers? What size, how to set up, etc.? I would like to have the muzzle not point too towards the leg. Thanks

See below. While you are at the hardware store you can also pick us some wingnuts to make it easier to adjust tension.

post-5345-0-77324200-1403639407.jpg

Edited by alma