Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Big Red's log

aceinyerface

Shot my G43, not too bad. I'm guessing a 6-7 lb trigger, I'll need to look at improving that.

Shooting doubles with the S2, I was consistently hitting A's @ .9. I hit a .85 A zone hit at 7 yds. I got a C @ .82

I did notice that when I get my left hand to my abdomen (touch my stomach) on the draw, I get A's. I guess I get the full grip earlier and the shot is under control more.

I started just focusing on moving that left hand and I started burning it up. I need to dryfire on it.

Bullshitting at the range interferes with my practice. The guy just admired my shooting and wanted me to give my approval to his reloads and talk a little shop, I couldn't say no. Nice guy, I guess I need to not be a dick so much.

Edited by aceinyerface

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An easy paced draw is a 1 sec A @ 5yds. I am regularly between .85 and .95. My best was a .77.

2 points that seem to make it more accurate while still being fast. Hand touches stomach and trigger finger stretches away when establishing the grip.

The hand to stomach lets it get it's grip sooner.

The finger stretch helps me get the pull straight back.

I need more consistency.

The training log is working well. It makes me accountable, sucks to see the dates not matching up. I'm also able to track the drill and how many good reps I do.

I've been working "Reloads" out of Ben Stoeger's dryfire book. I got 10 clean one day then 20 clean the next (45 min), then today 20 clean in 15 min.

Unfocused to start my range trip. It wasn't until half way through that I realized I wasn't even looking for the sights.

Damn it!

Well I got 100 rounds of actual practice and 200 rounds of wasting loading components.

When I got my head out of my outbound oriface, I was able to get mostly As. I was able to use what I learned off Ben Stoeger's new DVD to help with the shot calling.

I need to make another trip tomorrow, but being Mother's Day, it seems unlikely.

I read people talking about the grip, percentages and the like. What I am noticing is if I squeeze with the strong hand then the trigger gets slow. So I am trying a trick I learned in martial arts. Don't grasp, hook.

I don't squeeze at all with the strong hand, I take all of the slack out and freeze the fingers(except the trigger finger) and wrists into that position. The other side of that is the weak hand, I squeeze as hard as humanly possible.

If I do all of that, I can hit a bill drill at 1.6 easily in dry fire.

Now, that is all theory until I can actually shoot it.

I think I solved the mystery of the grip.

Don't squeeze with EITHER hand.

Imagine a bottle opener. The weak hand is the bottle opener and the gun hand is the bottle.

This fixes my accuracy problem, fixes my index, fixes my weak hand chasing the gun. It fixes everything.

EDIT- I realized this is what the Japanese call okuden, a hidden teaching. I am removing the specifics of this technique.

Edited by aceinyerface

New gear...

Xtreme trigger and front sight

Bought another Stock 2. I am not looking forward to taking it apart to polish and respring. Actually I have to take apart the Stock 1 to steal the springs.

I hate working on guns. I need a squire to do all of that.

Did a trigger Job on the new Stock 2, got it sighted in. Shot some Dot Drills with it, I am getting so close to cleaning that thing.

Still clean 2 second Bill Drills regularly.

My draw is not blazing fast, a hair over a second, but I can hit what I am aiming at. If I step it up to a .9 then my accuracy suffers.

Signed up for my first major match.

• 2 weeks later...

108 degree heat index. I did pretty well managing that. A towel dipped in the melted ice around my neck really works well.

Shot a B classifier, my misses were close C's and I miscounted and didn't fire one of the shots.

I clipped a few no shoots.

After all of that, I still made 4th place in Production.

Need to work 25 yard shots, Bill Drills, transitions, shooting on the move, etc...

• 2 weeks later...

Chronoed my load, 133 avg with my lowest fps making minor, so I am good. And then... my buddy couldn't get his .380 to register, so I tried and shot the friggin chrono. Damnit! A little later, he tells me "hey this is shooting low". Well, there goes a hunnert bucks. Lesson learned... bench the gun when using the chrono, and sight in the gun first to know where it is shooting.

I did a bunch of work at 25yds, and saw some improvement. I think I have been slinging lead like it was a 10 yd target instead of being patient on the sights. I didn't really change anything except my attention to the sights and willingness to hold off of pulling the trigger. I went off the timer but shot as fast as I thought I could get the hits. I did some of the doubles off the draw and some taking two steps to the line then shooting.

Dot drill, I came close but still no cigar. My S2 with the Xtreme trigger and Copper Gun Grips shoots more accurately, or maybe I shoot it more accurately.