Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Big Red's log

aceinyerface

I had my first USPSA match on Sunday. It was fun.

Lessons learned-

Kentucky windage isn't going to get it done in this game, I need that G17 zeroed. Dawson Sights will be getting some of my $$. I'll be switching to the Stock 1 later this week when the mags and holster come it.

Polish Plate Rack is a beast. Start in the center and work out, if you don't clean it in about 2 seconds, it gets harder.

I need the draw and mag changes extremely tightened up. I'm still trying to figure out why I was pulling the mags out instead of letting them drop???

As I move laterally at speed, I am drifting past the A zone where I intended to stop. I'm thinking pushing out at the target will put the brakes on, I'll have to experiment to see what works.

Forming a plan and executing the plan are not synonyms. I need to avoid spacing out and forgetting to mag change, etc...

RUN!!! Don't jog, don't amble, don't whatever... haul butt!

My Goal for the first match was just don't get DQ'ed. I only got 3 D's and a Mike so I'll take that as a small victory.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to try Emery cloth first. It seems good to go now. I ordered 2 more mags. Another 1000 Xtreme 147g are on the way. Gun show tomorrow, I want to stay up on my powder stores, I hope they have plenty of 7625.

Enough gear nonsense.

Dryfire continues. I think the DA trigger is forcing me to get my trigger control tightened up, because the stroke is so long it amplifies mistakes. So far I am just straight pumping every shot in DA during dryfire, it doesn't seem to be an issue when I switch to live fire, but I will be monitoring it closely.

It seems like there is a match in driving distance every weekend. I am considering the balance between family and shooting, I think for the time being I will stick with one match per month, as we become accustomed to that I can add another match.

I got 4lbs of powder for myself, picked up some Titegroup for one of the fellas, and some Federal Primers. I don't know if Federal could package the primers more illogically. On the side makes them harder to load the flip tray (compared to CCI) and takes more plastic and cardboard to package them.

Dryfire continues...

My speed increase on the mag change has become easier to repeat. Now I see 2 other things that need work, turning the gun in my hand to hit the mag release, and determining the optimal angle to hold the mag well so the feed lips don't hang up.

The better I get the more I realize I need to work on. But, that is good. I can only really fix one thing at a time anyway.

Setting a 10 minute timer really helps keep me into the dryfire session. 2 weeks til the next match, I want to hit 3 10 min dryfire sessions per day until then.

Friday, I shot a 50 shot round of sporting clays for practice as we have a charity shoot coming up on Friday for work. Are back muscle spasms normal after that??? Getting old sucks. The 100 rd match may not be my finest hour.

Xtreme Bullets has taken 10 days to charge may card and we are on 12 days without a shipping notification, I bought a box of Bayou Bullets but they seat deeper and I don't want to have to monkey with my dies only to have to change them back when Xtreme gets the sand out of their vajayjay.

I don't have enough ammo loaded to go practice and shoot the upcoming match. No shooting and no loading. In short, nothing is getting done, and that is always the best way to make improvement.

Dawson is sending me the allen wrench and inserts so I can tighten up the sights on the Stock 1.

Next Sunday is the next USPSA match and at this rate, I don't deserve to shoot well.

Dawson kit came in, trying to remove the sight, the allen wrench broke off in the screw. I managed to get it off anyway, it looks like it has JB Weld on the bottom of the sight to build up the material. That is the problem with "gunsmithed" used guns, it could be half assed done. I ordered a new sight. I'm down until then, no dryfire until the sight comes in, then I need to sight it back in.

I may not make the match this weekend.

Xtreme Bullets

Order confirmation 07/28/2014 11:10 am

Ordered departure scan 08/12/2014 9:07 am

Scheduled Delivery Monday 08/18/2014

I'm shopping for a new Bullet company. Suggestions? The price to beat is .08 cents per 147 gr plated RN.

I feel you on this. I placed an order 7/31 which also just shipped today, but delivery is scheduled for 8/20. Of course, I ordered them for a match 8/23, so assuming they hit the normal delay in IL (seen on my last 2 orders) I'll be spending next week working up a new load.

But, you can't beat their price on plated... I ordered some Bayous - delivered day 3 after ordering. Assuming they work out I'm done with Xtreme.

Xtreme Bullets

Order confirmation 07/28/2014 11:10 am

Ordered departure scan 08/12/2014 9:07 am

Scheduled Delivery Monday 08/18/2014

I'm shopping for a new Bullet company. Suggestions? The price to beat is .08 cents per 147 gr plated RN.

I feel you on this. I placed an order 7/31 which also just shipped today, but delivery is scheduled for 8/20. Of course, I ordered them for a match 8/23, so assuming they hit the normal delay in IL (seen on my last 2 orders) I'll be spending next week working up a new load.

But, you can't beat their price on plated... I ordered some Bayous - delivered day 3 after ordering. Assuming they work out I'm done with Xtreme.

I'm a reasonable guy, you tell me it is out of stock, kids are in the hospital, you're in Africa on a Zebra hunt, it is International Margarita Day, etc... I can understand I may not get the shipment promptly. If you tell me it is in stock, I'm expecting you to get the order out within a few days. Anything less is bad service.

I point to Summit Gun Broker, the guy is often not available, and he puts that on the front page so you know what to expect.

I'm going to get ahead on my loading then work up a Bayou Bullets load. If they work half as good as the hype, Xtreme is going to lose a customer due solely to bad service.

I managed to get to my local gun shop and got a box of Xtreme, I just loaded some, so at least I am making forward progress again.

On a side note, Federal primers are so hard to deal with, I'm going to stop buying them. CCI and Winchester packages them flat on a small tray that fits a standard primer flipper. Federal stores them on their side so they roll around in a huge tray that you need a $30 Dillon flipper to deal with them. Again, know your customers... who the F loads primers on their side? And why choose a huge package that is not compatible with standard reloading equipment??

I'm done with substandard products and service.

I don't know if this is going to make you feel any better but the reason Federal packages its primers that way is becasue they are softer than CCI or Winchester.

The downside is that they are pain to deal with getting them out of the package and flipped. The upside (for some) is that reduced power striker springs (like those that come with the PRP XD trigger kits) will make them go bang where the CCI or Winchester may not go bang every time with those springs.

As to the shipping delays with Xtreme, I would give them another chance. Clearly they have had some issues in the last 30 days but I have always had good luck with them previously. I would like to see them get on here and explain what is going on though.

I bought a Beretta A300 shotgun and shot the sporting clays match, 51, I'll take that for my 5th time shooting clays.

I saw powder at the gunshop and called one of the guys, got him hooked up.

I got the sight installed, match sunday. If anyone needs me tomorrow, I'll be sighting in the pistol and dryfiring.

The heater is sighted back in, I put about 400 rds through it and it's running like a champ.

I am trying to find out the cadence that allows me to get the A's the fastest. I can slow down a tick and get the hits, or let it all hang out with some C's. Hmm, what should I do??

2nd USPSA match in the books, some lessons learned...

1) My match management is crap. I am so focused on shooting that I mess up the base level instructions. 1st stage, 6 targets one shot each both hands, reload and 1 shot each with strong hand. I went to shoot the 2nd string with both hands, luckily the RO knew I was a noob and hollered "one hand" so I didn't blow the stage. 2nd stage, 99-11 El Prez, one of the standard drills I dryfire, I'm boned up, I'm ready, I don't seat the mag fully to start the stage. My time was crap and I sped up so I didn't get all A's either. 3rd stage, went ok, 4th stage, I almost set the gun on the barrel with the hammer cocked, the RO warned me, then I planned to reload twice... nah, I ran to slidelock twice instead. 5th stage rainout. It was a small scale catastrophe.

2) While the scores aren't posted, I know my hits were pretty good. I'm kind of shocked at how well I shoot that Stock 1. But still, I am pulling the trigger when the sights are not on target, and when I goof up I try to go faster. I can tell that is the wrong thing to do, but it is some kind of compulsive behavior that seems to affect most shooters. It is like the Double Whammy of Doom, your time sucks so you speed up which makes your accuracy suck, as well.

3) When there are two rows of poppers, one in front of the other, shoot all the front ones to give them time to fall then shoot the back ones. I planned to shoot front back front back, that is too slow waiting for the front to fall, I changed mid string to compensate.

I did manage to tighten up two things I learned in the last match. My mag changes went pretty well when I wasn't forgetting to do them. And, I moved pretty well. There was two turns, they went well, one big field course I moved pretty well on. Some side to side movement went pretty good.