Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Big Red's log

aceinyerface

I guess it would be helpful if I started a training log.

Up to this point, I've shot a few GSSF matches which highlighted some deficiencies in what I thought was a decent skill set.

I was just shooting for fun and defense practice, maybe a couple hundred rounds a month for the last 25 years (except when ammo was scarce). I was taught by my dad who shot bullseye in his day, I transitioned into the Weaver and thought I was doing pretty good, at least I was fairly accurate. And then, someone put a timer on me. Errr... things were not so awesome.

I have been transitioning into the modern stance and grip, mostly by getting hints (from places like here) and trial and error. I bought some DVDs and books to help.

I bought the Everlast grippers and maxxed those out in a day or so, I bought the CoC Trainer and maxxed it out in a week. I'm going to order the next 2 here shortly. But the idea is, I'm working on building my grip strength.

I got a SIRT pistol and ended up taking the battery out to concentrate on the sights without distraction. I have been practicing dryfire with that and my G17. My concentration is on getting the grip solid and the sights steady.

My Black Ice holster is in and my DA belt and Ghost mag pouches should be in soon. I got the Pocket Pro 2.

That brings me to today, Indoor range trip, 350rds, 100rds at 7ish yds 10rd strings on those 5 circle targets, just working the grip and watching the sights lift. I got really good results so I switched up to 2 shots transition and 2 shots etc... for the 10 rd string. I was getting really good results.

My experiment recently with the grip seemed to give me something that was repeatable. I closed my thumb down onto my index finger knuckle instead of leaving it along side the frame. I can feel it and verify that I hit that position every time I get a grip. I suspect that, more than what I am doing with the grip, the fact that I do the same exact thing every time is the major factor in my good results today. That and the increase in grip strength.

The sights were lifting straight up and falling right down into the same spot for the first time. I was trying not to let time pass when the sights got back on target, which made it seem like I was mag dumping but I only got about 10 shots outside the circles.

I am aggravated that my skill level is less than I thought and am preoccupied with reaching the outer edge of what I am capable of.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll have to play with the timer. I wonder if #1 is the last shot fired or if 99 is the last shot fired. I'll work it out. I got the random delay and par time, no problem.

Sorting reloads and brass is tedious. It never seems to end.

I challenged myself to dryfire the SIRT for 5 min straight, solid grip/no sight movement, as fast as I could do it right. I could only do minute strings, I was dying! I did 5- 1 min strings last night and I have muscles hurting today that never existed before. I like the challenge but I think I'll try to incorporate it between draw and reload drills.

Double Alpha belt and 5 Ghost mags came in from Benstoegerproshop.com. I'll figure that mess out tonight, maybe get my first real draw and reload in tonight. I'll need to look up the rules for USPSA production and see what the rules for that are.

Edited by aceinyerface

I got some brass shell shorter trays, and it makes sorting brass go a lot faster

I held off on buying those for a long time but once I did I wanted to kick myself for not buying them sooner. They work great!

Yeah. I still complain about having to shake out the nested cases, but it is a big improvement. I still wish the guys who shoot the 38 super had their own range. I am trying to work out a better way to sort out the 380 too. I heard the 380 plate is not as reliable as the others .

Sorting out 380 from a mixed batch of brass is tough. I do the best I can to get them out of the mix visually as I am sorting but I have deprimed more than one 380 case on my 9MM die without realizing it until after.

What I do to get rid of 380 is to put the brass in one of those MTM cases designed for .40 S&W /.45 ACP. The 9mm/380's drop right in and it's very easy to pick out the 380 because they're shorter than the 9mm. I use a 100 round box for it and you'd be surprised how fast you can get those pesky 380's out of there.

The Black Ice drop offset put the firearm more than 2 inches from the inside of the belt, and it appears that it is different than the Drop offset that you can heat up and reshape. I got the Shock Bottle BOSS drop offset and it perfectly fits within USPSA specs for Production.

I practiced my draw with a 1 sec par time and set a timer for 15 min. I've been practicing mag changes while watching TV. The stock Glock mag release is difficult to eject quickly but the SIRT has an extended release. I might need to address that.

I got the .5 and 1 CoC grippers in.

Practicing mag changes over the edge of the bed keeps me from having to bend over so much to pick the mags up. I guess I did about 50 mag changes today and maybe 1 went quickly and well executed. I routinely bobble the mag, hang up on the lip of the mag well, don't release the mag (stock mag release), etc... The draws are less of a problem.

Draw, dryfire, mag change, dryfire, mag change, dry fire, mag change, over and over until I started rubbing the skin off my thumb with the mag release.

Having dummy rounds in the mags helps reduce hanging the lips of the mag on the magwell (and is more realistic).

Rotating my arm and contacting my tricep to my ribcage everytime helps get the pistol into position to insert the mag.

I was occasionally catching the par time on the mag change at 1.5 sec.

Heeding Stoeger's advice, I am seriously squeezing the grip every time.

Edited by aceinyerface

Almost all of the ranges, public or private, within 2 hours of my house are not USPSA drill friendly. Either there is no rapid fire, no drawing from the holster, no multiple targets, no movement past the line, no bays, etc...

The only one who is willing to accept typical skills drills for USPSA, I have to wait until August to join. One month to go, and it is on.

If I win the lottery, I'm starting the greatest shooting range in the US.

Objective- get new sights adjusted. My buddy has a killer sight tool, we got it done. We are both grouping great with it.

His G34 is sweet, he is trying different sights and loads. Warren rear with a stock front and my 147g reloads put it dead on at 10 yds.

Basically just group shooting, with some rapid fire.

I am letting my thumb heal after splitting the skin working the mag release. every other day or so working the CoC grippers. My shooting has seen a noticeable improvement.

Next week is the indoor GSSF match, chasing 500. Last time my groups were a lot tighter but the dang flyers killed me.

Edited by aceinyerface

Tested my buddy's Advantage Arms Glock Conversion Kit. It liked CCI, and even then, I was still getting some failure to ejects. Federal (3 types) It just choked and puked on. I am not interested in this level of performance for the price they are asking.

In comparison, my Ruger MkIII ate all the bent and deformed rounds the kit puked out, and never missed a beat. If anything, I was sold on buying another Ruger or 2.

Practiced 2 shots, transition, 2 shots, transition, etc... for 10 round strings I probably shot 3-400 rounds.

Edited by aceinyerface

Maxxed out the .05 CoC, ordered the 1.5 and the 2

Ordered the factory extended mag release

Got another 1000 rds in from Xtreme Bullets. I have just enough loaded for the indoor Glock match this weekend. Next Weekend, I am going to watch (maybe try it out) a USPSA match. I need to get an estimate on how many rounds I will need.

Still dry firing, not mag changing until the thumb gets back to normal. (tried it once and opened back up the wound)

I shot the GSSF indoor match with a G17 and a G19.

I had a 472 with the G17. Going into the 25 yard string, I had none outside the 8 ring. I pulled 4 5's at 25 yds. My sights are a little low on this pistol so I had 4 8's. I doubled twice, one at 7yds through the X (lucky) and one at 15 yds. I have the 3.5 connector. Maybe I have a problem with the striker safety.

I had a 481 with the G19. Going into the 25 yard string , I had 1 in the 5. I pulled 3 5's and a M at 25 yds. Only 2 8's.

It is clear that I need to do some 25 yard training.

I changed my reloading flow. I started inspecting each case before loading it into the 550. It goes remarkably smoothly and quickly, and I get to eliminate the inspection step from the process and only touch the brass once.

It works out pretty well to crank out rounds in between dryfire strings.

Dryfire continues. I notice that I can run Bill Drill dryfires pretty quick for about 3-4 reps, then I think my trigger finger gets tired and my splits slow down dramatically.

I am going to do some horse trading today and swap for a Witness Stock I, I guess I need to know what all the fuss is about.

I would imagine the locals thought we were dealing drugs, meeting in parking lots, pulling out suitcases and envelopes, little baggies (with springs, lol) etc... I met one forum member and got a Stock I. Met my buddy to swap powder for magazines.

Did a little dry fire with the new hotness. I'll need to get used to that trigger.

I might make it out to a match this weekend. Definitely going to burn some powder in the new heater.

I took the new gun out, 400 rds, I needed to sight it in but once I did I was good. About 1% to 2% of the CCI primers didn't light, I'll have to switch brands.

I am not seeing the Dawson Sights as well as the Idot but I think I am just used to Idot

The DA trigger isn't really a problem, it mostly fires in single action.

I weighed the the reciprocating portion (the slide) of the Stock 1 and the G17.

The Stock 1 is 11.8oz for the slide, the G17 is 13oz.

Percent of weight that moves is 11.8/40= 29.5% for the Stock 1 and 13/25.4= 51.18% for the G17

The balance point for each is right about the breech face.

As such, the Stock has slightly less recoil than the G17.

I ordered a holster and some mags. Drifire continues...