Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RO Suspected of Cheating in USPSA Matches

Some posts have mentioned more RO classes or having RO classes at Area matches and such. Keep in mind there is a cost to hold the classes. I don't know if having a class in conjunction with a major costs more or less than a class held by a local club.

Also keep in mind that to hold a class, there needs to be students. I attended the RO class at Nats in Vegas a few years ago. IIRC, we had 8 (yes, EIGHT) students in the class. It was nearly cancelled, but I guess since USPSA already paid to have trainers there and materials shipped, they figured it made sense just to roll with it even with so few students.

Pull out your Front Sight and take a look at staff pics from last year's Nats and other majors. By and large the RO corps for big events is O-L-D. Sure, there are young ROs, but they aren't working the big matches. I don't know if they are simply not interested in working big matches, not able to get extra days off work, or what.

This year USPSA is making it more attractive for ROs to work Nats by giving them a free entry (first time for this AFAIK) along with paying their air fare and other expenses like past years. Probably since the matches will take a few days more they figured to sweeten the pot to get enough staff.

I wouldn't mind helping work the Nationals if they ever were remotely near were I live and not on the West coast all the darn time in the middle of BFE

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Members18 posts

Posted Today, 07:43 AM

via facebook:

To the members of USPSA Area 6.

I have spoken with people that I trust and respect their views.

In review it appears that I have fallen short in safeguarding the trust and duties place with me in this sport.

I apologize for those shortcomings, as well as, any pain or embarrassment caused.

I accept the full responsibility for my shortcomings.

I have resigned my membership in this great organization.

At some point in my future I hope to rebuild that trust.

Humbly Submitted,

Paul Hendrix

Posted via area 6 facebook page...supposedly...I don't have a facebook account so, take it with a grain of salt...

He resigned, so what? Is membership in USPSA required to shoot local matches? I hope the board considers banning him for life. This faux contrition says nothing -- no admission of cheating or guilt. "Shortcomings"? Pulease. The negative affects on USPSA reach well beyond A6.

The leadership should also review how someone so widely known to promote his own "rules" and WSB tweaks when RO-ing was allowed to go on for so long.

Can someone explain to me why, with an official USPSA investigation (that was not announced on the USPSA page nor disbursed via email to membership or SC's) being conducted, that we have to read about it on the A6 Facebook page?

President appoints someone, we hear about it on FB. Investigator asks for information vie doodie and FB, "result" announced via FB with a resignation from USPSA - no ban, no punishment, just an allowance to slip quietly into the night, and membership is not being informed about it?

Crickets chirping, vast majority of shooters in USPSA remain clueless. As if nothing ever happened. One of the largest scandals to impact our sport and if you don't facebook, chances are you don't hear about it.

I am asking this as a USPSA member, not as a section coordinator because I don't want the issue clouded that in my "official" capacity as an SC I am speaking for the organization.

Crickets chirping, vast majority of shooters in USPSA remain clueless. As if nothing ever happened. One of the largest scandals to impact our sport and if you don't facebook, chances are you don't hear about it.

I don't facebook, but I also don't live in a cave. It appeared to me at the section match over the weekend that the vast majority of uspsa shooters in the west know about it.

I work in LE and our normal process is to do investigations without alot of fanfare and news conferences.

Can someone explain to me why, with an official USPSA investigation (that was not announced on the USPSA page nor disbursed via email to membership or SC's) being conducted, that we have to read about it on the A6 Facebook page?

President appoints someone, we hear about it on FB. Investigator asks for information vie doodie and FB, "result" announced via FB with a resignation from USPSA - no ban, no punishment, just an allowance to slip quietly into the night, and membership is not being informed about it?

I am asking this as a USPSA member, not as a section coordinator because I don't want the issue clouded that in my "official" capacity as an SC I am speaking for the organization.

I am curious as to where the Phil Statement (post 101 in this thread) was first published? Doodie?

From Facebook Area 6 page:

Charles Bond An admission of guilt is not important to our sport and had I been advising him as his attorney I would have advised him not to make one. There is nothing set out in our rules about burning anything at the stake or administering lashes since we have authority only over members. He is no longer a member so at least as to Paul, the USPSA process is concluded.

You can say what you want about Paul Hendrix but he has done a very honorable thing by his act of resigning saving our sport from having to deal with a potentially long and difficult process. I appreciate his courage and unselfish contribution in so doing.

That's it? So in how many years from now he can come back to USPSA? Don't need membership to shoot local USPSA matches.

Edited by vluc

+1

I don't fault our leadership with moving cautiously. And I can accept that they'll never lay all the cards on the table. That's how smart organizations operate.

Lack of formal communication to the full membership, though...not so smart.

Charles Bond An admission of guilt is not important to our sport and had I been advising him as his attorney I would have advised him not to make one. There is nothing set out in our rules about burning anything at the stake or administering lashes since we have authority only over members. He is no longer a member so at least as to Paul, the USPSA process is concluded.

You can say what you want about Paul Hendrix but he has done a very honorable thing by his act of resigning saving our sport from having to deal with a potentially long and difficult process. I appreciate his courage and unselfish contribution in so doing.

That's it? So in how many years from now he can come back to USPSA? Don't need membership to shoot local USPSA matches.

I strongly disagree with the bolded part. If the allegations are true, USPSA as an organization and individual uspsa members have been victimized by fraudulent and dishonest behavior. IMHO they should at least be considering or looking into further legal action if it turns out that any of this person's actions qualify as criminal (and maybe that's being discussed).

My motorcycle club had an embezzlement issue with a former treasurer. We definitely didn't stop at just accepting a resignation. We pursued criminal charges and eventually got a felony conviction. Dishonest behavior should have consequences.

Edited by motosapiens

I disagree, there was no courage or honor involved with Paul's announcement. His announcement was exact opposite.

I am curious as to where the Phil Statement (post 101 in this thread) was first published? Doodie?

Doodie. Phil asked Ben to post it for him and the A6 page I believe.

All I know is that some of the supporters comments have made me question the integrity of the supporters

I agree 100%

There was nothing honorable about his weak apology. "Shortcoming" does not come close to equaling overt cheating.

I'd be embarrassed to be associated with the guy, and I surely wouldn't try to go to bat for him by posting supportive statements.

Nicely put. Unfortunately, I also think cheating is quite common. Hell, people can't even let their arms hang naturally at sides.

Cheating in USPSA has been going on since I started. I could tell you many other stories like this, even on the local level for nothing but placement on results.

I guess I am old school. When a man has no honor, integrity or his word doesn't count, then he has nothing.

I think there is some small amount of cheating going on all the time but I think this case is way beyond arms naturally at sides.

I suspect that many have been cheating at the chrono stage for decades.

I don't have any evidence to back that up, though.

I think there is some small amount of cheating going on all the time...

That's a pretty serious allegation there. If a person is aware of any type of cheating in our sport and allows said behavior to go unpunished, aren't they as culpable as the cheater himself?

Absolutely not. The person who, in their mind, chooses to cheat is far worse than a person who knows about it and says nothing.

It's the choice in one's mind to cheat others that is the primary determinant of culpability, not just the lack of consequences.

Edited by twodownzero

All I know is that some of the supporters comments have made me question the integrity of the supporters

I agree 100%

There was nothing honorable about his weak apology. "Shortcoming" does not come close to equaling overt cheating.

I'd be embarrassed to be associated with the guy, and I surely wouldn't try to go to bat for him by posting supportive statements.

+1

I certainly would not shoot any matches run by people that publicly support a blatant cheater either. To me, willfully turning a blind eye to overwhelming evidence of cheating indicates a serious ethical shortcoming

If you're willing to support the guy after everyone knows he's a cheater, you'll probably support (or have supported) him while he cheats as well.

Edited by Racer377

Well, you all know how to fix some of this....VOTE THE NEXT TIME BALLOTS ARE SENT OUT. Area 6 has more shooters than any other area, we can be heard...we can change things...don't like the comments left on FB? You guys know what to do....get involved instead of whining.

This coupled with the good luck finding help at matches posts make me believe this is both accepted and widespread. Im just about done with this "sport".