Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can I ask for a different RO on a stage?

Jollymon32

Based on the cheating scandal that has erupted, I really don't want a particular RO to run me when I shoot a stage. Do the rules allow for a shooter to ask for a different RO? Other than zeroing a stage, is there any other penalty to the shooter for refusing to run a stage?

Other option is to choose to attend a match or not based on the RO's that are officiating. Are RO's announced prior to a match? I don't recall ever seeing a list.

Based on my willingness to take a zero on a stage, It is evident that I am a net contributor to the sport (pays match fees, never wins anything) who does not place too much stock on my results. And while the obvious response would be "why then would I care that several seconds are added to my time or not", the answer is that I am very conscientious as to who I am 'contributing' to.

i'd have concerns if I felt the ro looked like he was in a purple haze and wasn't going to time me fairly.

A lot of RO's look like they are in a purple haze after ROing all day in 100 plus degree weather...........I always watch closely when scoring if the match means anything to me.....

Heck, sometimes I get into that haze while ROing, shooters paying attention have corrected me before on C vs A or that D that wasn't seen on the border line just off the target.

Its all part of the game, its a skill set learning to deal with RO's......some shooters are GM's of RO manipulation, I have ROed some competitors and said to myself "CRAP" not this dude again..........

I have a question...CAN A RO ask for another competitor?

I see no problem with it other than causing butt hurt. I might be a little miffed as an RO if you walked up and said you did not want me to RO you. Most likely I would have a good idea why it was being asked and would most likely not be too surprised. There are just some people that we don't take to. That is just the way things are. Now, if you walked up and said you want Joe Blow to RO you specifically then I would be inclined to think you may be cheating yourself. All things considered though, out and out cheating is pretty rare. Ultimate gaming, sure, but RO's can usually handle that.

On the other side of the coin, and why I believe it is OK to ask for another RO, is that I also believe an RO can excuse himself from running a shooter or particular squad and ask somebody else to run them. As a matter of fact I did just that at Area 5 this weekend. This may seem silly but I had a dream that I DQ'ed a shooter at the match that I know personally. It was questionable and it got ugly. I had no problem the next morning telling my RO team that I did not want to run his squad. Seemed the professional thing to do.

I CRO'ed a stage at Area 1 this year and when the squad of local shooters came through, I asked my 2 out of town RO's to run them so there was no question of favortisim or anything else like that. It just seemed like the right thing to do.

And as others have said, I always hold the timer back for the score keeper to see while giving the ULSC command.

As RO and CRO, I think it's a good idea to avoid running the timer on a squad of your shooting buddies. There's always the possibility for a close call going the shooter's way that would be interpreted by an out-of-towner as a biased call.

What's really tough on everyone is issuing a DQ to a buddy when the RO staff is shooting a sectional or Area match.

As RO and CRO, I think it's a good idea to avoid running the timer on a squad of your shooting buddies. There's always the possibility for a close call going the shooter's way that would be interpreted by an out-of-towner as a biased call.

What's really tough on everyone is issuing a DQ to a buddy when the RO staff is shooting a sectional or Area match.

Sometimes you don't have that option, Stan. At our recent Section match on our stage, we had the unfortunate experience to oversee the DQ's of two people we sometimes shoot with. It happens. i can say this, the people I shoot with are even more focused when running each other just because of that potential of bias. You are given nothing, you better damn well earn it.

Given the increasing lack of help at matches, this situation will continue until others step up to help.

Edited by vluc

I approaching officiating with the attitude if you are my friend or foe you get your 2 Alpha's, Procedural or DQ exactly the same. When you earn them.

As a RO you are not actively involved with the Alpha Mike, 2 Charlie or whatever, you are just the reporter and there to ensure safety and fun.

I have had encounters with surly RO's in the past, that I might consider asking for a sub but I feel they maintained their integrity when I encountered them again and have been my RO including Area 5 last weekend. That is one measure of a good RO. If you can be objective, fair and courteous no matter what then I think you are good to go.

At a level one match the other day, I did ask for another RO. The primary reason is, even after going over the range commands, he was not following the range commands. I realize that he was trying to help with the RO workload, but it was apparent he did not know the range commands. He was nice about it, and at continued with the scoring. I have no problem if the competitor wants another RO, no problem, but I have never personally experienced it in the last 10 years except what I described above.