Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Concealment" award/recognition

EricW

Have any USPSA clubs given any thought to giving a cupie doll out during matches in recognition for shooters running CCW gear? No, I'm definitely talking about creating a new division, just recognition like "High LE", "High Lady", etc. there are definitely a some folks at matches primarily because they are CCW holders.

Good idea? Lousy? Other ideas?

I like the idea, but I wouldn't limit it to Production. I've shot Limited and Limited10 from concealment and had a lot of fun before. Any carry-type gear that is actually concealed by the garment should be okay!

I think it might be a good way to reach out to our IDPA brothers too.

my post got dropped so I'll try again.

Just one guys opinion, but I think we already have way too many special catagories for trophy hunters.

"How'd the match go hon?"

"Well, I finished 23rd overall........but if you really look at the scores closely you'll see I was first Senior, Military, Lady, shooting a Minor Revolver, from Concealment, weak hand only......on stage 3."

I know I'll branded a bastard for this, but I don't even like reading a blow by blow recap of the ladies race at a match. If we are not going to get coverage of the Senior, Junior, Military or Foriegn match, why highlight the ladies so much? They are all special catagories aren't they?

That being said, I'd be happy to see the additional coverage included, instead of just dropping the ladies.

honest, no offense meant. :unsure:

Eric, I gotta vote with the naysayers. To recognize and encourage the new starters be it lady, LE, CCW holder, or whatever is a horrible idea. The encouragement that would be brought by recognition is wrong, and how could we possibly come up with enough rules to properly agitate these beginners.

if that pisses people off, too bad, I'm not trying to make enemies, but what does it hurt on the local level to so something small and fun. I assume that by using the word "recognize" you mean a free Coke, $1.75 of your next match or something trivial like that. excellent idea and id prefer you come up with the most off the wall categories as possible. such as ..... High Scoring Mother of a Teenager, or 2nd place Pizza Delivery guy.

Guys, you're misunderstanding me.

I'm not talking about a new division, or even a plaque. I was just talking about checking a box on the scorecard that said "concealment", which would mean that the shooter was running concealment gear. Then the concealment guys could have their own little horserace inside the match. No new rules. Just an attaboy/attagirl at the end of the day and maybe a free AA battery for the one who did the best tactical threat scan during the walkthrough.

This was obviously the WRONG time to broach the subject. Oh well... :rolleyes:

Eric,

That really has to be one of the most refreshing ideas I've heard lately. My initial response was, "fan-bloody-tastic!!!"

I think that would be a great way, on the local level, to get some cross-participation from the IDPA crowd. Who knows where it might lead?

I'm gonna shoot from concealment the next time out!

Well, maybe not on the classifier, but otherwise ... yeah!

Well, maybe not a fixed time stage, but otherwise ... yeah!

Well, maybe not a fast and furious short course, but otherwise ... yeah!

:lol:

A friend of mine always shoots his Glock 21 from concealment. When I can get him to a USPSA match he shoots Limited. When he shoots my steel match I put a 'Tactical' division in the posted scores which he always wins. :ph34r:

Dale ... a friend of mine shot a steel match with us last year from concealment using a Glock 23 in a Glock plastic holster. On that day, he was just "on" and was faster than most of the non-open shooters on the first piece of steel. It was cool to watch him do it.

Eric

I know what a category is.

see rule 6.3, and appendix A2

Perhaps you mean to have an unofficial category, with no rules or recognition?

If so, what is the point of asking approval? Just do it at your club, then come back and tell us how you made it work.

• 2 weeks later...

When we ran the FL Single Stack a few years back we wanted cross over, sort of an olive branch / introduction....but I digress.

Anyway, we had "Tactical" division. They love that word, so I figured why not. The equipment requirements were the same, but you had two additions:

1.) Must begin stage drawing from concealment where a draw is called for.

2.) Can't leave loaded mags on the ground, reguardless of technique.

That way we were objective and fun, and really required very little extra policing, but let them play their way.

I would think it would be easy to incorporate IDPA into USPSA.

If we're going to make a "concealment" division, then why not incorporate a modified version of the IDPA rules into that division? ie...use of cover, concealment, mag retention etc?

Let not just have a special category for people who wear jackets, make it a viable division where we might actually get IDPA folks to come over and use the same gear, techniques and "rules."