Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

gas cylinder rust. 930 JM Pro

EC803

Okay guys I've been procrastinating on adding this question because I'm nervous about the answers I'm going to get. I have light pitting and rust on the cylinder walls of my 930. Any time my gun has acted up the problem has been fixed by cleaning the gas system. Also it seems like my 930 doesn't make it near as long as it should without needing to be cleaned.First question what if anything should/can I do about the rust. 2nd I'm new to this and I don't reload but is shotgun ammo like rifle rounds as far as some brands are cleaner than others, if so any recomendations on the cleaner burning shotgun ammo. Thanks

Im sure i wasnt doing a very good job explaining and i was probably using the wrong words to describe the parts. The picture should clear things up. What should i do about that if anything and does anyone know why this happened.

Edited by EC803

Weird. It looks like water or something corrosive was stuck in the gas piston rings. Are you using water to rinse your parts?

To remove the rust without opening up the tube, try evaporust:

Evapo-Rust.jpg

It's great for rust in pitted surfaces because using an abrasive pad to get down there will take out too much material.

You may be able to just get in there with a qtip and WD40 too.

After you get it out I would consider changing whatever you're using to lube the system. What are you using now?

Not water just normal birchwood casey and hoppes 9 lubricants nothing crazy. The gun has never been in direct rain or anything like this and the gun isnt very old. I got it the first of the year. Ive been running the gun like it is but it has to be cleaned twice as often as it should to stay reliable.

Pro Shot Products part # GC12. I picked mine up from Amazon for 14.99. Just do a google search for one you may be able to find it cheaper. Pro Shot Products has them on their website for 15.39 says it's for the Rem 1100, Win Super X, and Beretta but works just fine on my JM Pro.

So what if anything can or should I do about the rust. I think at some point I ran the gun pretty hard then it was put up for a few weeks without being cleaning first then when I tried to shoot it that was the first time I had ever had any reliability issues I figured it was dirty so that night I broke it down and the first thing I noticed was the rust build up I cleaned out the best I could. From then on I put a light coat of oil in the system trying to prevent more rust but my gun definetly got dirty faster. Then after more research I see where everyone including Mossberg says run it dry so I'm back to square one. I fine with the rust or the lubricant all I care about is the gun running an entire match.I have area 6 multigun in two weeks and my shotgun is my only concern. JM the man himself will be shooting that match if the gun fails on me I'm going to him lol. I don't have a backup I'm sure he does. Lol

Stupid question, but where do you live and how are you storing the shotgun between matches? I live and work in a gun store in the Houston area and have customers bring in guns all the time that are stored in soft cases with the zipper closed with rust on them especially along the coastal areas. Humidity and moisture build up in the closed soft padding of the case and can rust the gun in any areas that are not chromed.

gerritm

I live right outside augusta,ga. I have it in one of those gun sock things from walmart. Cant find a case long enough lol. Does anyone know what i should do about the rust already there.

Clean the rust out and use some Break Free on it. It will keep the rust down and will not affect the performance of the gun. The rust is probably caused from the gun getting hot and cooling off or vice versa and it is sweating.

Yea ibdont get it i havent done anything out of the ordinaty with the gas system. I love the gun and ive put a ton of time and money into completely moding it out. I hope to shoot it for,a long time but if it continues to give me problems im going to have to change. I look forward to the matches to much to have my equipment ruin my day. Im not giving up yet though. If anyone has anymore suggestions please let me know.

Suspect the rust has led to pitting, which can trap moisture and debris, and lead to more rust, as well as increased friction. I would buff out the surface, removing as little material as possible, using something like Simichrome.

Mark