For those who reload 9mm

Ken_Bird

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I really have no preference, I can tell you though a few things I've noticed.

Federal & Blazer - Pockets seem to loosen up quicker

Winchester - Had several batches I got from someone shooting factory fresh WWB that had pockets that were super tight (annoying tight)

S&B - Harder to resize - tight pockets

I've been pretty happy with most brands however, I'll use all the brands besides Ammoland & AMERC.

Years ago I used to separate out the W-W brass and save it for major matches, but through the years I've learned that for my purposes any old reloadable brass is acceptable.

Bill

I used to do the same exact thing. No longer.

Blazer seems to be easiest to load. The primers slip right in. After that, I'd say RP, FC, PPU are the most common i see and use. No issues with any of them. Lately I've seen WIN have very tight primer pockets..to the point where i've had light strikes. HRTRS and RWS havent been bad either.

I've been saving any NATO rounds and S&B for a very rainy day.

Agree with above posts... Federal seems to be the most consistent but the primer pockets loosen up very quickly. Federals make for a nice, uneventful evening of reloading.

Winchester is all over the map in recent years, but still good stuff and will probably outlast the Federal/Blazer brass due to primer pockets being a bit loose.

I'm not a huge fan of Remington brass in 9mm Luger although I must admit I've got no "good" reasons.

Speer is pretty nice stuff too.

If I had had a choice and a fat wallet, I'd buy Starline and never look back. Awesome brass.

Toss up between Federal and Winchester for me . Have a few thousand loaded of each. But If I had to pick just one, it would be Federal. Never a single problem with sizing or priming. Just seems like the way to go

When it comes to 9mm brass, I have no brand loyalty.

Years ago I used to separate out the W-W brass and save it for major matches, but through the years I've learned that for my purposes any old reloadable brass is acceptable.

Bill

My thoughts exactly.

Years ago I used to sort brass by Headstamp and I would only load like brass for matches and practice. Now I pick it up, clean it, inspect it and dump it into my Dillon XL650 case feeder.

I separate my brass because I have learned that case mouth tension caries from brand to brand. Part of this can be attributed to case wall thickness but some of it is due variations in spring back.

I don't sort all the way it is more about separating out certain head stamps. In particular i sort out the WCC. I run most brass through a Lee undersized die, but not the WCC. Simply overkill with that brass.

WCC with a 124 gr xtreme sized on a standard Lee die is my go to load.

I load 115 gr xtreme on Fed brass on the U Lee dies.

The only 9mm brass I scrap on sight is AMERC. Not sure why it sucks but I have had poor luck with it in 9mm and 45ACP.

Ammo load has that ridge inside but I have loaded it without issue but if you are running hot I would want to work up specifically on that brass. In set back tests this brass out performed several of the other brands tested.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Starline is best, once-fired everything else loads just fine. I have noticed that Win primer pockets are tight, and I have started sorting the once-fired brass I've been buying ever since I ran upon a few hundred WCC NATO cases. That'll bring your loading session to a screeching halt.

I load/shoot at least 1k rounds a week of 9mm. Not a chance I am going to take the time to sort. The only trouble brass I have encountered is the S&B which has very tight primer pockets and the occasional military swaged brass. Other than that it gets cleaned on run.

I load/shoot at least 1k rounds a week of 9mm. Not a chance I am going to take the time to sort. The only trouble brass I have encountered is the S&B which has very tight primer pockets and the occasional military swaged brass. Other than that it gets cleaned on run.

That's 52K a year. Dammit man no wonder there's a powder shortage :)

Fan of range brass in 9mm minor. I do an inspection using three factory bullet trays. Place two in a box pour brass in most will land mouth up. Look for chigger bites [small cups on the case mouth] anything in the brass that it needs to be trashed then. place the empty tray over the one with brass and use it like a primer flip tray to look at the headstamp. I'll trash any that are swagged, S@B, Amerk or Military. Military cases have a smaller case volume. Turn the tray sidways and look for .380 or Super cases that have worked there way in. I'm loading on a 650 so don't have the swagger on the press. There's enough 9mm range brass to trash anything that you deam not worthy of loading.

Inspection goes quick and the press runs a whole lot better.

Never had a problem with any brand 9mm brass but I buy only military once fired, usually WCC. With your 1050 you can process crimped primer pockets no problem.

BTW, came close to snagging 400# WCC 9mm brass this week but the price went a bit too high. That would have been fun.