Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Berrys plated bullets and glock

3djedi

I am using berry's RS 180g plated bullets using 5.9g of cfe pistol @1.145" oal. Through a glock 35.

I have found that right after I clean the barrel I get all A's at 25y no problem. I'll shoot like 10 round at 25y for the beginning of my practice and then shoot the rest at closer distance. Maybe 50 rounds. So the gun will have 50-75 rounds through it since cleaning. The next time I come out and start with a 25y drill I'm only getting 1-2 rounds in the A zone. The rest are in C's and D's scattered.

As soon as I clean it again back to A's the first session.

Any ideas what the deal is? Do glocks not like plated bullets? I have removed a bullet from a finished round and didn't see any crimp marks or any deforming.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Edited by 3djedi

I have shot only plated bullets through my glock for almost a year now. Stock barrel. Clean it once every ~500 rds and before a major match. I, like you make sure my crimp is not too tight to effect accuracy. I have shot berry's, extremes, and RMR plated all with the same level of accuracy regardless of cleaning.

Well, to be honest I don't know what copper fouling looks like. I will look at some pictures online to know what I'm looking for and then inspect the barrel when I get home from work tonight..

I kind of doubt there's copper fouling since I'm running CFE pistol powder. (Copper fouling eliminator)

No copper fouling.

I just bit the bullet and ordered 2500 MG jhp 180g. Man that hurt....

I will use the plated for close range practice.

CFE being a new powder, it is interesting to see what people who use it are getting as far as results. Though I don't shoot Glocks, I cannot recall getting the front to back shooting results you got with Berry bullets with any powder I used before, and indeed generally got good results with them. Others who will be using CFE for experiments can perhaps do some testing at 25yrds also and see if they get any deteriorated group sizes as the day goes on. Meanwhile, even using Montana Gold bullets with the same testing procedure should be revelatory and we all, I'm sure, look forward to further posts on this subject.