Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 ejection issues

kevin c

I'm getting intermittent but increasingly more frequent stovepipe jams. Problem is worse SHO or WHO, but also happens with my two handed freestyle grip. I have some hand issues and have lost some hand strength, but even with a deliberate crush grip I see this problem.

Same load I've used for years, with same COL, PF (135ish - velocity verified at chrono) and bullet. Brass is a mixed bag, but I inspect it prior to use and the rims are OK. Higher velocity/PF practice ammo with a different bullet works fine, but not the match ammo.

Same weight recoil spring (11# ISMI) and no difference new or old, and spring weights confirmed by testing. Changing the heavy full length guide rod, which was a bit worn on the end, did not get rid of the problem.

Extractor hook not damaged. Extractor assembly inspected and properly installed. No frame or slide issues noted. Ejector looks OK.

The problem has happened with different magazines, but my magazinesI do have mushy springs - I use the same ten rounders in the same sequence (numbered) all the time, and the first four magazines have a lot of rounds on them. Will order up and replace the springs. Followers look OK.

Any other thoughts?

Edited by kevin c

Any chance you have video of you shooting?

I am guessing it isn't just on the first shot of a topped off 10 round magazine with one in the chamber? Those 10 rounders are snug and can slow down the slide a bit but I usually see this type of a problem as being related to grip and recoil control.

It can happen with any round.

I used to have problems shooting minor PF in 40 S&W for the reasons you raise; those mags would barely hold ten rounds, and I'm sure the upward pressure on the stripper rail of a full mag was enough to make the slide drag. The ten round 9 mm magazines have more play.

Problem fixed.

Five extraction related jams in the prior match (about 120 rounds). None in a 150 round practice and another 120 round match after putting new magazine springs and followers into my match mags.

Will need to put that into the maintenance schedule - change springs every Father's Day ;^D.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got three years out of mine and counting, without mag-related issues. I do disassemble and clean them after ever practice/match though. Now that the price of mags has come back to earth perhaps it's time to invest in a few new ones.

11# recoil springs seems on the light side with a 135PF.

I think many/most are running 13#.

You must be using a light striker spring to prevent unlock.

Besides inspecting everything I would try a 13#.

I've been using the same mags since 2006, I have replaced the springs once with wolff extra power.

Edited by Nuke8401