Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Colt Competition CRP 18

Ethanolguy

Anyone shooting one of the Colt Competition CRP 18's? I am looking to upgrade my 3 gun rifle and one rifle I have not seen much of is the CRP 18. I have been able to put my hands on one and I was really impressed. Anyone with first hand experience able to weigh in? I know JP is one of them most preferred and I am strongly considering it but I want to hear what people have to say about this rifle. Thanks in advance

I have shot my friends and really liked it. Much like any out if the box rifle there were things I would change but overall it's a great rifle for the money. I actually liked it better than the Stag 3G.

I just got one and have one match and maybe 250 rounds through it. I have shot MOA with PMC Bronze but mostly that is 1.5 MOA stuff. I want to try some 69 gr and 75 gr handloads. It has run 100% so far. I was worried the trigger reset is too long but that did not seem to be an issue when "hosing." I like how crisp the trigger is.

The gas block is new to me and seems to be pretty slick. I have it adjusted out 3/6ths and it is ejecting 10 feet or so. I am going to turn it down and not clean it for a while to see what happens.

Starting in 3gun had a lot of costs associated with it for me, new Benelli (plus carrier loading port work), caddies, optic, mount etc. I looked at the JP Rifles. I know they are a top shelf product but the price of an upper is more than the CRP 18. My goals were to be competitive and have an adjustable gas block. You could retrofit a 3g with a adjustable gas block and I considered that. The colt comes with a H buffer. It looks like they put some thought into the design of the rifle.

I plan on changing the comp. I was shooting a RRA 16 Carbine when I started this and the Colt is much nicer in competition.

I myself am having trouble finding a lot of feedback on them. I am the 3rd shooter at my local match that has one. The other 2 guys are VERY happy with theirs.

FWIW, my local dealer was unable to obtain one. He said they were all consigned. I used http://www.gunwatcher.com/Search/colt-crp-for-sale to locate the various rifles available. I ended up transferring in from Buds Gun Shop. I had the rifle 6 days after adding the rifle to my cart.

I'm wondering why Colt Competition are building a rifle with an adjustable gas block, yet use a full weight carrier with a H-buffer.

The consensus seems to be to use a standard 3oz carbine buffer and a full weight carrier in the case of the Stag 3G, but with the adjustable gas block on the Colt, I'm wondering why they didn't go with a lightened carrier...

Mick

I'm wondering why Colt Competition are building a rifle with an adjustable gas block, yet use a full weight carrier with a H-buffer.

The consensus seems to be to use a standard 3oz carbine buffer and a full weight carrier in the case of the Stag 3G, but with the adjustable gas block on the Colt, I'm wondering why they didn't go with a lightened carrier...

I don't know the weight of the bolt carrier, never really paid attention. I will have to compare it to one of my other AR's. I knew I could retrofit with an LMOS carrier if I wanted to.

Somebody whom I trust in the gun business told me the rifle is made to Colt specs. I took that to mean a MPI HPT M16 bolt carrier (as an example).

Thanks for the input guys. I am sure I would be happy with it. Anyone know if you can buy just the upper? I don't really need the lower unless I just sell my whole gun, which I planned on keeping the lower. I looked at their website and was unable to find anything on just an upper.

Normally at 3G matches, I never seen anyone shooting a CRP except myself and Clint, the Colt pro. At the Tarheel match, there were 2 others besides myself. The other two guys were really good, but I stunk that day.

This rifle is a shooter. Extremely accurate!!! I want another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by poortrader

I would be the wrong person to ask as I am old, slow and inaccurate, but I love mine. Of course, I got a really good deal on mine. Less than $1600 delivered. It came with a test target of 3 shots in .182 inches. No way I can ever shoot that well, but it shows what it is capable of.

Mine came with the Surefire break but I just replaced it with a SJC Titan. post-26226-140249859334_thumb.jpg

At a match this past week, my short range splits felt faster and my long range was also pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got one at the first Rockcastle Pro/Am, before Colt was contracting them out to Bold Ideas. Mine has a Colt M4 receiver, Surefire brake, Geisselle 3gun trigger, low profile non-adjustable gas block. I guess the new ones come with the adjustable block with the knob sticking out the front. I swapped out the Magpul CTR stock for an ACE skeleton, added an ambi safety. I like the rifle, but it is still an assemblage of parts that I could have done myself. AR's are so easy, they're like lego's for adults. Buy good parts, get the proper tools and build it yourself.