Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
ROSW

Pro Chron Bluetooth Module & Android App

I recently bundled up my new Pro Chrono Digital and a laptop with the program on it and took it to the range for the first time. The Pro Chron worked great but the laptop program was a disaster. I could see the Pro Chron display fine but the laptop was unusable in the bright sunlight. Being a embedded developer I decided to design a commercially viable solution using my Android phone (or tablet) and a Bluetooth module to communicate with the Pro Chrono. I've looked at the other postings to this forum and enhanced them where possible. 1) FCC certified Bluetooth module 2) no switch - automatically turns on/off with the Pro Chrono 3) uses 2 low cost alkaline AA batteries for about double the run time of a 9v battery 4) 'velcros' to the bottom of the Pro Chrono. 5) Professional PCB. The Pro Chron display is quite visible and adding a numeric display to the app would make the buttons much more difficult to use, especially in sunlight. Therefore the Android app is VERY simple - 6 BIG, BRIGHT buttons.

post-51456-0-44233300-1401913986_thumb.j post-51456-0-54884100-1401914001_thumb.j

Today I called Competition Electronics to see if they would be interested in the design. They politely informed me they had a design in the works, so no. So here I am. I have parts for about five gen 2 boards coming in later this week and the Android app has been working on my gen 1 board for some time. Being a pre-production small run, the cost is high - a bit over $50 per board (no profit). I expect in moderate production the cost (not price) could get down to the $20 range. The Android app is not on the PlayStore and is not protected (at least at this time).

So my question is - is there any interest? and if so, where and for what?

-ROSW

PS Will post photos of the gen 2 module when I get one built up.

PPS Sorry, there is no iPhone app. Apple in all there wisdom and to protect the user experience, requires an authorization chip for Bluetooth modules to connect. And once you get authorized to buy the chip from them, you must build the device it uses in an Apple approved facility. I have ideas on how to get a solution using an iPhone, but that will need to wait, at least for a while

Edited by ROSW

Sorry about not following up. Lots of excuses; didn't see much interest on the forum; day job; lazy. I built up a couple of the boards when they came in and everything worked as expected. The unit plugs into the PC and is in a small plastic case that velcros to its bottom. It uses 2 AA cells and there is no power switch; turning ON the PC turns it ON; turning OFF the PC turns it OFF. I have considered creating an enhanced version of the code which has a display window that mimics the PC display. So far that is on hold. If there is interest I'll try to post some pictures of the hardware.

Edited by ROSW

If there is interest I'll try to post some pictures of the hardware.

Missed this the first time around. Would definitely be interested in pics of the hardware, etc..

Oops. Been offline for a while. Will try to get pictures posted soon.

Here are the pictures.

post-51456-0-25486100-1414150346_thumb.j

Attached to ProChrono

post-51456-0-46160300-1414150427_thumb.j

By itself with Velcro for mounting.

post-51456-0-72816500-1414150516_thumb.j

Two AA batteries for power. Powers ON when ProChrono is turned ON. No switch required.

Edited by ROSW

I'm an embedded developer (hw & sw) by trade but a real novice when it comes to Android development. If you are still interested, please send a PM and let me know what you have in mind.