Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Rule Book

MikeyG23

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Duane Thomas @ Jan 6 2005, 06:38 PM)

I can't help but notice the prevalence of "But I bought all this gear specifically to shoot IDPA...." comments. If the gear had been bought with concealed carry -which was the intention of the sport - in mind, maybe it wouldn't be illegal now?

Paul Mitchell

I am an ex LEO and carry every day. As others have stated my carry gun is illegal it's holster is a Yaki (SP) slide from Galco so I don't know if it is OK or not. I bought a gun and all the equipment just for the game so, I lose. No big deal as there are other venues to make use of this gear. But I really wanted to give this IDPA stuff a try. The reason I haven't done so sooner is all my friends shoot IPSC, GSSF, PPC and bullseye and they kept telling me strange stories about this sport. I.E. reloads, cover, moving and so on. I finally said to heck with it and bought all the stuff and read all the rules, ...ready.. set .. nope every thing you just bought, except the belt, is a no go.

I didn't need to buy for concealed carry, as that has been covered for years. But what I carry for CCW every day is not concealable by IDPA standards, and I live in the Deep South where heavy outer covering is not an option. Go figure.

Anyway it ain't over yet. I will find a way to get in on the action. Only problem is the price of admission just went through the roof for me. Comparatively speaking.

Now as to what Duane said; I should be able to shoot anything that is safe and concealable. That would be a great thing show up, show concealment with just a shirt for cover and if it passes the eye test on printing shoot. . That is how I arrived at the carry rigs I us now. But..........maybe it wouldn't be illegal now? It's the maybe that gets you (me) every time. :D

Brian, your question on the 686 38 super is moot. Since they are now going to measure barrel length from the face of the cylinder. I measured my 686 super last night it's over 4". There are a lot of revolvers now worthless for IDPA. I suggest other shooters measure their revolvers if they plan on staying in IDPA. Who ever came up with that goodie sure is not familiar on how to measure revolver barrels. AND we have to RECLASSIFY !  They are making members who chose to shoot revolvers throw up and THEN eat it.   :angry:

I thought Bill N. was just trying to make me crazy (he told me the same thing that is in this quote)...then I checked page 23 of the new rule book...

...then I measured my 686 - 4 1/8" = illegal. <_<

Bye Bye SSR.....what nonsense. :angry:

Whoa! A four inch 686 is too long, eh? That sucks righteously. I was thinking of shooting mine some this summer, but I assumed that since it was catalogued as a four inch barrel that it would be okay. I guess assuming is a dangerous habit!

Whoa! A four inch 686 is too long, eh? That sucks righteously. I was thinking of shooting mine some this summer, but I assumed that since it was catalogued as a four inch barrel that it would be okay. I guess assuming is a dangerous habit!

I was told by a notable revo guy that SW started making all their 686 models 4 1/8" long to avoid the stigma of being considered a "Saturday Night Special."

Yea, I think a lot of us thought we knew stuff prior to Jan. 06, 2005... :lol:

:blink: All of this is very confusing and the more I read, the worse it gets....

I'm an (old rules) 4-Gun Sharpshooter, who is working toward being a 4 (5???)-Gun Expert.

I can't interpret the new book any other way than to believe that we all have to earn new classifications in all Divisions!

With the multitude of gun and equipment changes that are mandated by the new book, it is a certainty that previous classifications were achieved by the use of "illegal" equipment. In a "best" case scenario, we would have to take the word of previously classed shooters as to what equipment they had used to achieve their current classes.

Personaly, I qualified as an Expert in SSP while shooting a Glock 17 out of a Bladetech slide holster and Bladetech mag holders. I think that the holster and mag pouch might be OK with the new book, but I was using a leather belt and now, looking through the belt loop.... I see daylight! I know....what was I thinking...using a leather belt!

I made SSR Sharpshooter shooting a S&W 646 mooncliped gun out of Bladetech gear also. A straight drop belt holster and Bladetech's piggyback moonclip holder...oops! I guesss I'm not a SSR Sharpshooter anymore. But then, they also changed the time restrictions for all classes in SSR ... so it wouldn't hardly be fair to new shooters to grand-father me in under the old rules and enable me to keep my SS classification, when they will have to use completely different equipment and scoring criteria to earn their classification.

When the new book says, on p-62, that SSR shooters with previous classifications earned with moonclip guns will have to "re-classify" in the new ESR division, they really mean that we will have to establish a "new" classification in this "new" division, and that our "old" SSR classification is null. If we want to have a "honest" classification in SSR we will have to "re-classify" in that division with equipment appropiate to the new rules.

I love shooting different guns, so another revolver division wasn't all bad, but why open it up to 8-shot guns?? I thought that we were trying to eliminate advantages, not creating new ones!

How in the world a moonclip creates an unfair competitive advantage (perceived or real) over a speedloader, I don't know. I'm enough of a firearms historian to know that moonclip fed guns have been around since the .45 ACP Colt New Service was issued to the army as the "Model 1917 Revolver". It seems to me that the speedloader must have been developed as "gamer" equipment to compete against moonclips :blink: .

I would have welcomed a speedloader vs. moonclip class as an additional opportunity to shoot, but why open the eight shot issue.

The book says that stages should be designed to be "revolver neutral"....Ah! is that six shot revolver neutral or eight shot revolver neutral ????

This forum exists for rule interpretation.....HELP! :wacko:

I can't help but notice the prevalence of "But I bought all this gear specifically to shoot IDPA...." comments. If the gear had been bought with concealed carry - which was the intention of the sport - in mind, maybe it wouldn't be illegal now? Hmmm. There may be a very small, vocal group complaining about the new holster rules, but I would be absolutely shocked if the vast majority of IDPA shooter who run real world carry gear aren't, at the moment, going "Right on!" If not giggling.

I'm not.

I bought carry gear that was also IDPA legal. Now my mag carrirer is illegal. :wacko:

My carry/IDPA portfolio...

Kimber CDP Compact

Milt Sparks IWB Versa-Max II

I shoot full-power Winchester Whitebox 230gr FMJ

So explain to me why my Kramer double mag pouch should be considered illegal "gamer" equipment...

doublepLG.jpg

if that stuff ain't legal - I don't know what is ..

• 4 weeks later...

Don't worry. In a couple years when the equipment rules are changed--again--there will be a requirement for how little the gun, holster, and ammo carriers can print against your concealment garment when you contort your body in various ways. <_<

Oh, and to ensure that shooters don't utilize footwear that can give them an advantage, everyone will be required to wear leather sandals with knee high black socks. Which can not weigh more than 12 ounces. :ph34r:

FYI, the mag carrier rule was adjusted to allow mags to tilt up to 10 degrees off vertical. So the above pictured carrier is now legal.

Ah, does that mean SOs will have to have a protractor available at matches to give FTDR pentalties for the 10.001+ deg cases? <_<