Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Rule Book

MikeyG23

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Received an Email from HQ today about the new rulebook. It should be online on Jan. 06, 2005 at IDPA.com

I'm interested to see if the "Enhanced Service Revolver Division" causes as much irritation as the conversion from 5" to 4" maximum barrel length. <_<

No more holster lists, etc.

2005 should be an interesting year. :D

I'm interested to see if the "Enhanced Service Revolver Division" causes as much irritation as the conversion from 5" to 4" maximum barrel length. <_<

Don't see how. Seems to put the two camps (moon clip and speedloader) into their own camps literally.

Ted

A "Thanks" to Joyce Wilson and others for their efforts in this new rule book. Yes, it's been a long time coming but the end result will justify the wait. The fact that HQ took the time to carefully consider, analyze, and then modify the rules vs. constantly changing them in a knee jerk manner is admirable.

:D

Don't see how.  Seems to put the two camps (moon clip and speedloader) into their own camps literally.

Ted

Well Ted,

If I had three 625's decked out to shoot IDPA and then they allowed .38spl/.357 conversions to moon clips I'd be pretty bent....but that's me. :P Sort of like the multitudes that had 5" guns and then had to convert all of them to 4" just to fit the new rules.

I'd much rather reload and shoot a .38spl at 125pf than a 625 big frame.

Also, they even concede that it will further delute the pool of shooters. Now you'll have four in Enhanced at a state match and one guy shooting speedloaders. Yea, I won speedloader revo...and I was the only guys shooting revo. Sort of stinks if you ask me.

It's all speculation until we read the new rules though.... ;)

If I had three 625's decked out to shoot IDPA and then they allowed .38spl/.357 conversions to moon clips I'd be pretty bent....but that's me.

So what? The sport is supposed to be about the shotoer and not the equipment. Seems they levelled the playing field a bit more that's all. FWIW, I still think the 625 is superior to a .38 conversion. It's got more mass and is faster to load.

What this will screw up is all those shooters that think equipment is a crutch for bad ability, and that is always interesting to see.

FWIW, I enjoyed going head to head against moonguns with my K frame but I do like the new face of SSR. This is going to make a lot of folks get off the fence and get dad's old model 10 out and try the game. Not only that, but with the death of the moongun in SSR, you can conceivably buy a decent, competitive SSR rig for like $200.00. This is going to get a lot of newbies into SSR, which is what any sport needs.

Ted

Seems they levelled the playing field a bit more that's all. 

If they are truly going to allow up to 8-shot revolvers in ESR then I seriously question how level the playing field will be for guys using a 625.

Why trade one goofy situation for another? More divisions are not the answer either. They should have kept one division and allowed for machining cylinders to accept moon clips, IMHO.

Either way, I'll continue to shoot whatever I have on hand at any given time. I'll drag out the Model 10 or 686 as well as the 625's.

I hope you're right, Ted, and it brings out more shooters.

Yeah, we might all be shooting "Dad's old Model 10" in SSR because all the rest of our gear has been obsoleted by the new rules.

Sounds like in order to be competitive in the new ESR division, you're going to almost have to use an 8-shot.

Well, it looks like IDPA really wants to kill the revolver division.

The ESR is going to fragment an already small division. There are so few revolver shooters to begin with that I don't see how two divisions will ever have more than a few shooters.

The ESR division has a power floor of 165. This is OK for the 45 shooters and the 40 shooters (610, 646), but it means that the 38 super shooters and 38 special shooters are going to have a hard time making major unless that hot rod the gun.

All 7 and 8 shooters must shoot in ESR. Since all the 7 and 8 shooters on the market are 38 super and 38/357, those shooters will need to either run hot loads (38 special) or shoot 357 maganum loads to make the power floor.

Instead of fixing the revolver division, this is just another nail in the coffin. Like many others, I have a 625 to use as a nice, soft shooting revolver. Now the rules change and I need to shoot full house loads from a 3" 625. Doom on me! What the hell, there is always Steel Challange and ICORE.

Hello Eric.

I respectfully disagree. I view the rule change more as a long-overdue correction. Further I believe we will get more SSR shooters in the long run.

There was nothing "stock" or "service" about a moonclipped 625 shooting 230 gr bullets at 550 fps. The 19s, 10s, 686s, GP-100s and the like can actually compete now - most handgunners probably have one.

There is still no revolver in the world that loads as easy as a moon-clipped 625.

Best Regards,

Craig

Hmm, not me. I've got a 5-shot j-frame and a bunch of big N-frame clip guns. Well, they won't miss me. I shoot IDPA rarely enough as it is. Does anybody actually carry a 6-shot these days??

Anyway, it is nice they got the rulebook out and online.

It is nice to see that Bill Wilson is still protecting the single stack 45. ;)

CDP is still only 8+1 and is still a 45 ACP only division. Why not allow other rounds that meet the power floor (40, 45 Gap, and 10mm)? While we are at it, why not make CDP 10+1?

I really don't see any reason not to allow guns that meet the power floor into the division. Maybe someone will give me a good rational for the rule

I know the arguement for 8+1 is that a single stack 45 wouldn't be competive if 10+1 were the rule. What? If that is the reason, why change the rules so that a 6-shot 45 will need to compete with an 8-shot performance center gun? The only reason I can see is that Bill Wilson makes single stack 45's and not 6-shot 45 revolvers.

I'm sure I be told I'm wrong, and that is OK. Just when you tell me I'm wrong, tell me why.

I just got finished reading the entire new rule book. It is far better laid out than the old one. It is easy to find anything, and is a lot better written. All the IPSC bashing is out, which makes it a lot more professional looking. At first glance, it appears that most of the ambigous rules are tightened up.

Kudos to HQ for finally doing this.

The only reason I can see is that Bill Wilson makes single stack 45's and not 6-shot 45 revolvers.

I'm sure I be told I'm wrong, and that is OK. Just when you tell me I'm wrong, tell me why.

FWIW, wilson is one of the few 1911 makers that makes a 10 shot 1911, the fact that they limit CDP to 8 rounds is a great service to single stack manufacturers like kimber. IT keeps CDP "real" when it comes to 1911 and it keeps that division more affordable. It is not a money making ploy like some people think. It does not make much sense what you are saying.