Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrels Stag 3G vs Nordic Components barrel, vs?

Tuflehundon

I have been considering swapping my 20" FN CHF AR barrel out for an 18" barrel, since it makes the rifle like a broom handle with the 3" SJC Titan comp. Love the comp, so will be keeping it no matter what.

My question is to those that have the 3G, how is your accuracy at 100 yards? I a getting good accuracy out of my current barrel and just want to be sure it's GTG.

Which should I get?

Stag 3G barrel $200: https://www.stagarms.com/18-5-56-fluted-barrel/

Nordic Components 18" 223 Wylde $269: http://nordiccomp.com/retail/shop/ar-15-10/nordic-223-wylde-18-competition-barrel/

Wilson Combat SPR 18" $275: http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Combat-Match-Grade-Barrel-556-NATO-Special-Purpose-Rifle-18-1-7-Twist-Stainless/productinfo/TR-556SPR18/

Any other suggestions? I know I want to stick with 18", and rifle length gas system. Other than that, I am open to suggestions.

My nordic barrel will shoot a .330" group at 100 yards with my 69 grain handloads. I think good accuracy is the accumulated effect of great components put together correctly. A lot of barrels are capable of great accuracy but if they are mated with substandard parts and ammunition they won't shine. Jmho.

I have the Wilson Combat 18" SPR, it's a shooter

I will be getting a Ballistic Advantage 18" in their lightweight stainless Hanson profile in a few weeks

I have their 14.5 and it's a good shooter

I believe Nordic is a Wilson barrel, not to be confused with Wilson Combat. JP uses Wilson barrels but then works their magic on them.

My JP barrels shoot 1/3 MOA, but it could be smaller if I had more scope.

All my guns shoot be than me too. :D

I have been considering swapping my 20" FN CHF AR barrel out for an 18" barrel, since it makes the rifle like a broom handle with the 3" SJC Titan comp. Love the comp, so will be keeping it no matter what.

My question is to those that have the 3G, how is your accuracy at 100 yards? I a getting good accuracy out of my current barrel and just want to be sure it's GTG.

Which should I get?

Stag 3G barrel $200: https://www.stagarms.com/18-5-56-fluted-barrel/

Nordic Components 18" 223 Wylde $269: http://nordiccomp.com/retail/shop/ar-15-10/nordic-223-wylde-18-competition-barrel/

Wilson Combat SPR 18" $275: http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Wilson-Combat-Match-Grade-Barrel-556-NATO-Special-Purpose-Rifle-18-1-7-Twist-Stainless/productinfo/TR-556SPR18/

Any other suggestions? I know I want to stick with 18", and rifle length gas system. Other than that, I am open to suggestions.

You can't go wrong with the Stag 3G barrel. Got mine 3 years ago and it shot a 0.62" 5-shot group when new with 69SMKs and still sub-moa now.

Aside from cleaning every 200 rounds, I have never shot .22LR, Russian ammo or reloads hotter than 2800fps thru it.

Cut two inches off your current barrel?

Have a friend who wants my barrel, so It would cost me less to get a new one that it would to cut and recrown mine.

Yes. I recommend the Nordic barrels.

Wow I did not know the Stag barrel was so affordable

That was what caught my attention. But the Nordic and Wilson Combat barrels are only $70ish more. Was wondering of they were worth the extra cash.

The Nordic barrels have some design features that improve accuracy, reliability and soften the recoil impulse...all things we want in a 3Gun rifle barrel. Those 30 rounds of hoser targets followed by 5 targets at 350 on out...with the Nordic barrel, you will know it is you and not the barrel if you miss. :devil:

The Nordic barrels have some design features that improve accuracy, reliability and soften the recoil impulse...all things we want in a 3Gun rifle barrel. Those 30 rounds of hoser targets followed by 5 targets at 350 on out...with the Nordic barrel, you will know it is you and not the barrel if you miss. :devil:

cant speak about the nordic 18, the nordic 16 is very accurate(more than just a bit over gassed though). I know you are not asking about 16" barrels but i thought i would speak up because this forum seems to just love their 18s

16s all the way

I would buy the lightest one

While weight is a factor, a good design considers weight along with the accuracy loss after a 30 round mag dump on that thinner barrel. If you are only concerned with 200 and in and say 2 MOA then sure, use weight to decide.

Not many people will shoot a group, then dump 30 to 60 rounds and then shoot a 300 yard group to check the thermal shift and accuracy erosion. The Nordic design considered that and in fact excels in that occurrence.

Nordic. I've yet to see any 18" customer complain. And, like the previous poster, my 16" Nordic is beyond excellent, so the 18" must be great. I made my 18" barreled up with a Criterion just to do something new and get first hand experience with their barrels. They use different technology from each other. So that was an excuse to try something else.

I don't need my 16" Nordic upper any more. It just sits all alone in the corner. But, I haven't had the heart to sell it because it's easily sub-MOA accurate. Proven in testing by Carbon Arms, no less.

I should sell it but it's just so damn good..........

I hope you will have a similar experience if you select an 18" Nordic barrel.

I would buy the lightest one

While weight is a factor, a good design considers weight along with the accuracy loss after a 30 round mag dump on that thinner barrel. If you are only concerned with 200 and in and say 2 MOA then sure, use weight to decide.

Not many people will shoot a group, then dump 30 to 60 rounds and then shoot a 300 yard group to check the thermal shift and accuracy erosion. The Nordic design considered that and in fact excels in that occurrence.

That is my "it's a good barrel" test.

Edited by P.E. Kelley

I wanted a Nordic 18" when I was building my latest 3G upper but Nordic's turnaround time was killing me, so I ended up getting the 18" Rainier UltraMatch .223 Wylde in SPR contour. As much as I wanted to support Nordic because of all they do for the game, I just couldn't wait so i went with the Rainier and I couldn't be happier.

While there are benchrest guys that produce better numbers, none of them are doing 30-40 round mag dumps and then trying to shoot a group at 300+ with a smoking barrel. That is where the SPR contour shines. This thing rocks, Probably not much better than the Nordic, but with attached to a MUR it is a reliable .5-.75 gun. Even after a mag dump it will hold 1.5"

I wanted a Nordic 18" when I was building my latest 3G upper but Nordic's turnaround time was killing me, so I ended up getting the 18" Rainier UltraMatch .223 Wylde in SPR contour. As much as I wanted to support Nordic because of all they do for the game, I just couldn't wait so i went with the Rainier and I couldn't be happier.

While there are benchrest guys that produce better numbers, none of them are doing 30-40 round mag dumps and then trying to shoot a group at 300+ with a smoking barrel. That is where the SPR contour shines. This thing rocks, Probably not much better than the Nordic, but with attached to a MUR it is a reliable .5-.75 gun. Even after a mag dump it will hold 1.5"

I'm not terribly worried about turn around time since I already have a barrel on the gun I can use until the new one gets here.

What did they tell you there turn around time was BTW?

I'm not terribly worried about turn around time since I already have a barrel on the gun I can use until the new one gets here.

What did they tell you there turn around time was BTW?

Well when I was building the rifle it was right in the height of the whole panic last year so no retailers had it, from what I know, Nordic gets batches of the barrels in from Wilson, and then they do their magic, and ship em off. Basically once they sell out, it can be a bit until the next batch comes in, but like Mark said, he's got them.

My nordic barrel will shoot a .330" group at 100 yards with my 69 grain handloads. I think good accuracy is the accumulated effect of great components put together correctly. A lot of barrels are capable of great accuracy but if they are mated with substandard parts and ammunition they won't shine. Jmho.

I like my Nordic a lot but one group is not a consistent measure of accuracy. Try an average of 5 5 shot groups at 100 yards.

Pat