Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RL 550 B Roller Handle Poll

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

I had been using the aluminum roller handle and for some reason decided to try the plastic one when I got my second 650. Big mistake. The aluminum roller handle was a big improvement over the ball. The plastic one ended up being a step bacwards. For some reason they decided to design the plastic one with a triangular shaped handle. The edges of the triangle ended up being worse for hurting the hand than the ball. Unfortunately since I had already used it and had had it for more than 30 days, Dillon wouldn't take it back. I most likely will end up taking a dremel to it to round over the points.

Louis

• 5 months later...

Can't believe I hadn't seen this thread before...

Had an aluminum handle on my 550 just as soon as I could order one after one session with the ball. Don't bother with the plastic roller...

I just wish there was an aluminum roller option for the 1050... guess i'll have to make one. :)

• 4 weeks later...

the roller handle seemed to make my carpel tunnel worst or fact I went from several hundred to 4-5000 rounds a month. either way, surgery is in july for left hand august for right and i can only operate on 22 cal slides and resorted to wheel guns and 38spcl but planning on reloading during those months

Just got a 550 after loading around 20,000 rounds in the last few years, on an RCBS Rockchucker. At four strokes per loaded round, thats 80,000 pulls of the handle! The ball handle doesn't bother me a bit, I never even considered a roller until I read this thread. In fact, I loaded up 600 rounds tonight and wondered what the big deal was with the roller. I've also spent the last 8 years working on cars full time, my hands are pretty tough at this point, this probably has a lot to do with it.

The roller handle should be standard equiptment. I can't see how anybody would prefer the ball handle. I just got my 2nd 650 with a roller handle, which has a triangular roller handle. Ergonomics on the new one are much better.

Almost daily I have to explain (to a customer) that although I never used the Roller Handle for the 550, many that I talk to on the phone love it, and that same vibe is reported on the forum as well. So forgetting whether or not you prefer the plastic or the aluminum Roller Handle - if you initially used the factory ball handle for the 550, but then later purchased a Roller Handle - did you find it a worthwhile improvement. And if you care to comment, why?

thanks,

be

• 1 year later...
Almost daily I have to explain (to a customer) that although I never used the Roller Handle for the 550, many that I talk to on the phone love it, and that same vibe is reported on the forum as well. So forgetting whether or not you prefer the plastic or the aluminum Roller Handle - if you initially used the factory ball handle for the 550, but then later purchased a Roller Handle - did you find it a worthwhile improvement. And if you care to comment, why?

thanks,

be

I love mine. ordered my second one last week for my other 550. Now I just need another bullet tray and i should be good to go.

• 2 months later...

After about a year of using my 550B which, BTW I ordered with the aluminum roller handle, I feel that I can weigh in with my opinion on this question. I did try both the standard ball handle and the roller handle. There truly is no comparison, the roller handle is much more comfortable and lends itself to a smoother motion overall IMHO.

I'm glad I took the advice here and optioned my press out with this great feature. I just wish Dillon would have ground some flats onto the arm itself so that properly tightening the handle isn't a two person job.

^_^

I converted to the roller ball handle and would pay double the cost to never have to deal with the "stock" operating "ball" again.

The roller makes my grip more consistant.... hance a more consistant "stroke" and I think it greatly reduces fatigue in the marathon reloading sessions that I do during the off season. I actually got blisters off the orriginal handle. I can't believe the roller isn't the factory handle on new machines.

Not to drift the thread too much but how many 1050 users have replaced the triangular plastic roller handle with the blue aluminum one? I did, and love it! Getting snap ring off and on was a little tricky but well worth the effort/time. Others done this?

• 5 months later...

After four surgeries and two years of ocupational therapy to regain partial use of hands back I would suggest you do what you can do to reduce repeative motion injuries to your hands. I cannot say that the roller arms would have prevented injury but I could not reload with a a ball handle now. watch your computer use of keyboards and mice. bought one for 550 and 650, kept original on forrester bonanza b2 coaxial press as little finger is only required because of large mechanical advantage

• 3 weeks later...
Went a few years with the ball handle. The palm of my hand always ended up hurting, switched to roller handle no more problem.

This seems to be the most common reason for getting the roller handle, but I really have to wonder. I've been using a Lee progressive press for quite a while now and not only does the ball not hurt, I actually like it because it allows me to adjust my grip quite a bit.

I believe that the main reason it does not hurt me is that I don't have tough mechanics hands so, right from the very start, I used a good leather glove with a padded palm and the fingers exposed. This gives me good tactile grip on small things and prevents any wear and tear on my hand.

Having said that, I am planning on getting a 550B this fall because the volume I am loading is hitting up against the rather overly fussy nature of the Lee press. So, I'm stuck wondering if there is any good reason to get the roller handle. I don't mind paying the additional bucks for the roller handle but I would hate to spend the extra to get that then decide I prefer the roller.

I assume that if you order the roller upgrade, you get it plus the stock ball, so I suppose I could always sell the roller handle if I don't like it. Probably the best idea in the long run - try both and see which I prefer.

I've been loading on a 550 with a ball handle for 10 years. I bought a roller handle a few years ago , didn't like it and traded it for a back up ball handle. I found the ball handle more consistant and faster than the roller. When my hand is sweaty, I add a drop of light oil to the ball to help with friction...works great, no blisters or sore hand.

I have 2 550s. One for large primers and one for small primers. I tried the ball handle, but it made blisters. So I made a roller

handle with copper tubing as a close slip fit over the steel part and a rubber handle grip over the copper. This was years ago

when Dillon didn't have any roller handle. Over the years I've tried different handle grips. I've found that for a long session,

the thin ones are more comfortable and less tiring than the thicker more cushy ones. The thin ones also give a very sensitive

feel for all operations including primer seating. I get the ATV grips at a motorcycle shop because they are both the same size

inside dia. Motorcycle grips have one i.d. bigger than the other. Both presses have this handle. I will NEVER go back to the ball one.

All my friends that try this immediately want one, so I've made several more over the years. I have converted Dillon plastic and

alum. handles to this with good results. My 2 cents.

It's a combination of technique, preference and pain threshold? I will generally make anywhere from 200-500 rounds a sitting and my butt (from sitting) will hurt long before my hands ever do. I feel I have more control with the ball type roller.

• 1 month later...

OK I don't have a 550, but I had a SDB for the last year and just added a 2nd 650, thanks to Brian.

The ball sucks, hurts your hand after about 300 rounds or less and the roller is just a pleasure to use. Great ergonomics, speeds up reloading and I can really feel the seat of the primer better than with the ball.