Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Removing the firing pin block from a Kimber

Postal Bob

I've already put in a non Kimber firing pin to prevent the problems of not having the firing pin release because of a poor grip on the grip safety. But I know the firing pin will rub against the block at times. I'm having the sights changed in it this week, and figured since the rear sight will be off, I might as well completely remove the firing pin block and spring altogether. But I know that there'll be a small hole left on the bottom of the slide. Is there any problem with removing the block completely, or is there no problem having that small hole on the bottom of the slide?

I've run mine that way for thousands of rounds. It is a small, relatively insignificant hole. Just gut the parts from the slide. Plenty of open and limited guns have far more cut out of the area without issues.

The frame, however, is a different issue. I've been trying to come up with a way to ditch the plunger in the frame just to have a more precise and predictable surface for the sear to pivot on. Other than maybe welding it up and milling it, or having a custom insert made I'm not sure what can be done about that. Hasn't affected anything so far but I'd like to ditch it.

Hey guys, I don't know all the inner workings of the 1911. And I haven't bought that 1911 bible yet. Could you explain this to me? I have an older Custom II, does it have this and what does removing it do? I also have a rock island tactical ii. Does it have this?

Thanks for helping me learn.

Red

The II in custom II indicates the presence of a Schwartz safety. A standard grip safety blocks movement of the trigger bow when in its resting (out) position. The Kimber style safety relies on a series of small moving parts to extend the influence of the grip safety into the slide and blocking the firing pin until the safety is depressed.

It is generally considered not necessary and introduces multiple opportunities for failure. Unless it is a duty/carry gun, or you need it intact for IDPA its not a big deal to ditch it.

It is less offensive than the series 80 style safety, which is driven off of the trigger and interferes with the quality of the trigger pull, but unless you are dropping your Kimber from a tower, or your sear slips off of the hammer hooks and somehow misses the halfcock notch and strikes the firing pin with sufficient energy to light the primer there isn't really much it can do for you except fail.

Hey guys, I don't know all the inner workings of the 1911. And I haven't bought that 1911 bible yet. Could you explain this to me? I have an older Custom II, does it have this and what does removing it do? I also have a rock island tactical ii. Does it have this?

Thanks for helping me learn.

Red

My reason for removing it was occasionally I'd have a high grip on the gun. And with smaller hands I wouldn't fully depress the grip safety. It was pressed enough to allow the hammer to drop, but not enough to release the firing pin block. So during a match I would get instances of rounds not firing. The hammer would drop, but there'd be no indents on the primers at all. And through testing I realized it was the schwartz safety.

When I bought my kimber I thought it would be a problem. All my sti guns have the grip safety disabled. Really isn't a problem for some reason on my single stack gun.

Thought of removing the firing pin safety but found out you have to remove the rear sight to do it.

From research though apparently you can install a standard firing pin without the safety cut and it will pacify the safety. So I guess you could eliminate the grip safety bar/plunger too.

AH!!! That is the reason the 70 series colts are more popular than the 80s. My Rock island is a 70 "style" or I guess I should say a regular A1 style. Since I'm not competing with it right now I'll leave the kimber alone, I don't like the plain black sights on it and since I looks like to remove the extra parts you need that sight off the back. I'll wait till I am ready to do new sights and decided about it then.

I appreciate the information guys.

Red

That's what I did on my Kimber, changed the fixed sights to adjustable fiber optic. And since the rear sight was going to be off, I had the firing pin block removed too.

I had already put in a regular firing pin which negated the schwarz safety, but you could feel it rubbing and I didn't know what that would cause down the line.

Go to the Kimber section at the 1911 site and check the sticky. The device is out of time and there are corrections there. Kimber will fix but I agree they should do the timing test before shipping. To by pass just put in a series 70 firing pin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 5 years later...

Brownell's has the parts required to eliminate the Series 80 safety.  

Here are firing pins:  https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/action-parts/firing-pin-parts/firing-pins/index.htm?avs|Make_3=1911

This is what you need to eliminate the lever beside the sear in a Colt Series 80:  https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/frame-parts/frame-hardware/fillers/frame-slot-filler-060-sku876000007-13121-114446.aspx