Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fast Splits

b1gcountry

Hi, this is my first post. I've been reading this site for the past couple months. I've been shooting steel matches for the past six months, and shot my first USPSA match two months ago. Thanks for providing the site as a place for all the shooters/reloaders.

I was practicing some falling plates today, and noticed that my splits were around 0.60 for all the plates, but I could consistently hit the last plate in half the time 0.30 seconds. I've noticed this during my steel matches also. Expecially if I miss a plate, I can go back, hit the missed plate, and then hit the stop plate in almost record time. Is this a common thing? If I can hit the last plate at 0.30 seconds, I should be able to hit them all with 0.30 splits, right?

Maybe someone can let me in on the secret, and then I can slash my times by half :)

Tom

Edited by b1gcountry

The time between targets is based on a combination of their lateral distance from each other and their relative size which is based on their actual size and distance from you. That being said, if you can transition from a 12" plate at 15 yrds to the 12" stop plate at say 10 yds in .3 sec then you should be able to do a .3 sec from any 12" plate at 15 yds to and 12" plate at 10 yrds assuming the lateral distance is the same. The fact that one of them is the stop plate shouldn't affect how fast or slow you can transition to it ...

Maybe because you know it is your last transition you are being more aggressive on this last transition?

I shoot a fair amount of Steel Challenge and have not seen that my transition times to the stop plate are universally faster, it all depends on the relationship of the plates I described above ...

This explains why my Smoke and Hope times currently hover in the 2.05-2.25 sec range vice sub 2 secs. The transition from plate 4 (18"x24") at 9 yds to the stop plate (12") at 14 yds takes considerably longer than 1-2, 2-5 and 5-4 does ...

This explains why my Smoke and Hope times currently hover in the 2.05-2.25 sec range vice sub 2 secs. The transition from plate 4 (18"x24") at 9 yds to the stop plate (12") at 14 yds takes considerably longer than 1-2, 2-5 and 5-4 does ...

Those are very fast times for S&H. Our usual match winner (master class USPSA shooter) can do it in 2 flat with his 22 open pistol. I've yet to see a sub-2 shot at our club.

That was also part of an 8.93 sec stage time. In fact, that match I won 4 of the 6 stages but still only took 2nd becuase of a crash and burn on another stage ...:)

Edited by Nimitz

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, this is my first post. I've been reading this site for the past couple months. I've been shooting steel matches for the past six months, and shot my first USPSA match two months ago. Thanks for providing the site as a place for all the shooters/reloaders.

I was practicing some falling plates today, and noticed that my splits were around 0.60 for all the plates, but I could consistently hit the last plate in half the time 0.30 seconds. I've noticed this during my steel matches also. Expecially if I miss a plate, I can go back, hit the missed plate, and then hit the stop plate in almost record time. Is this a common thing? If I can hit the last plate at 0.30 seconds, I should be able to hit them all with 0.30 splits, right?

Maybe someone can let me in on the secret, and then I can slash my times by half :)

Tom

I practice transitions by dry firing at several spots on my wall 2 feet apart. I draw ,fire at the first then snap my eyes to the next, snap the gun to my eyes and fire at it and so forth, keeping the gun level from target to target.

Edited by mgardner

With the information given I agree with Nimitz I would say your last split is the fastest because that is the last transition in the string and there is no where else to look except for that last target. As far as I know there are no secrets in shooting.

One way I can think of to speed up the rest of your transition is after you shoot a plate watch for the front sight to lift; as soon as you see that front sight lift look with your eyes to the next target and use your knees/hips to help you drive the gun to the next target. Once your gun arrives on the next target you are already looking at the sight picture you have should be close enough if not good enough to allow you to fire the shot immediately(this is easier said than done). Being able to call your shots really helps and visualizing the target array and what an acceptable sight picture is for each target before shooting the stage helps. Lastly this a scenario you can dry fire like mark mentioned above and that will help transitions also.

I still have a hard time with the good enough sight picture thing. I do think i am capable of the faster splits. I will practice more next time I get out to the range. I have a IPSC match tomorrow... I do think I transition to the last one faster because that is the last one I have to think about. Sometimes I think my brain slows me down more j than my physical shooting ability.

Edited by b1gcountry

• 4 weeks later...

I still have a hard time with the good enough sight picture thing.

Kind of a late reply, but one thing I do to help me find an acceptable sight picture for a given target at a given distance is set up a target in practice and purposely misalign the front sight in the rear sight and shoot to find out where the front sight can be in the rear notch and still get an Alpha hit.