Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TTI Base pad only Fit 17/18 in 40 S&W

ak_tech

My Glock bullets are loaded to 1.145 and I can only get 18 in them in the tube with the Taran Tactical large base pad. The 18th round I has to be pushed very hard, even bending my speed loader, which I have never had to use before. What OAL are people using with these base pads? Could that be the problem? Are there any other Ideas? I have already taken off the edges of the follower with no success and im using the springs that came in the bag with them.

Thanks

i can fit 20 tight in new mags, and 20 reloadable in pre-ban mags with different followers.

i recommend watching that dawson video about sanding the bottom back of the followers. Some of mine have a hump to get past round 18.

i can fit 20 tight in new mags, and 20 reloadable in pre-ban mags with different followers.

i recommend watching that dawson video about sanding the bottom back of the followers. Some of mine have a hump to get past round 18.

Ill try that now and see in that helps.

You didn't put the old factory magazine insert used for taking a factory basepad off back on did you...yea I've seen it done

No I didn't put that in there. I'm pretty sure I have done that before too though :)

I looked at the video and I had to also radius the front of the follower a lot. On the 18th rounds it kinda make a click and pushed past something. Now I can squeeze a 20th rounds in but it is so tight it will not load into the gun. Ill call Taran Tactical tomorrow and see if they can help.

I had the same issue. I tried them on my g17 mags for my g34 and got a full 23 rounds in the mag. Turns out I needed them for the 9mm mags anyways, so I just left them on the g17 mags, but I may end up getting some more and try to tune them per the videos.

Glad this got posted.

I had the same issue. I tried them on my g17 mags for my g34 and got a full 23 rounds in the mag. Turns out I needed them for the 9mm mags anyways, so I just left them on the g17 mags, but I may end up getting some more and try to tune them per the videos.

Glad this got posted.

I just tried them in the 9mm and they work fine. Must be something to do with the 40 S&W like you said.

I looked at the video and I had to also radius the front of the follower a lot. On the 18th rounds it kinda make a click and pushed past something. Now I can squeeze a 20th rounds in but it is so tight it will not load into the gun. Ill call Taran Tactical tomorrow and see if they can help.

I'm not sure you're going to get much better than this... With my newer mags and a very tight 20 rounds, you can barney mag it at the start for 20+1 and push that mag in there hard until it clicks - the gun will run. You will have to reload with 19 in the mag.

Edit: what I would do is lock the slide back, insert a 20 rounder, drop the slide, put that mag I just used, now with 19, on my belt for the first reload, and then cram a full 20 rounder in there..

Edited by earthshine402

I can only get 19 in mine. If I manage to jam in a 20th, they won't seat in the gun with the slide forward. I whittled on the followers too. I emailed TTI about it and they told me there are "issues" with older mags. Their fix was to advise me to buy new mags.

I can only get 19 in mine. If I manage to jam in a 20th, they won't seat in the gun with the slide forward. I whittled on the followers too. I emailed TTI about it and they told me there are "issues" with older mags. Their fix was to advise me to buy new mags.

My mags are brand new gen 4 mags, so maybe there are issues with new mags too. I didn't get a chance to call them today.

It's a problem with the new gen4 mags. We're trying to get it cleared up with Glock, because the ribbing on the side is different than on the gen3 mags. Until we can find a permanent fix, try loading them with stock springs. This has worked for a some people, and I've followed up with them regarding tension, etc, and I haven't heard anybody have any feeding problems.

Try the dawson follower tuning steps...(I think someone posted the video above). Sounds like the bottom of the follower is contacting the inside front lip of the TTI mag extensions.

I had a similar issue with my Para mags and Dawson extensions....only got 18/19...sanded down the front bottom of the follower and beveled the edge front to back a bit....PRESTO! 20 rounds loadable.

FWIW...It's been a while, but for my G35 I just installed Arredondo +5 extensions with the supplied springs and stock followers and got 20 rounds right off the bat. Never had an issue with them......

Z-

I must be special. I'm using Gen 4 mags with TTI base pads in my G35 and have never had an issue getting 20 rounds in or reloading with the slide forward and 20 in the mag. I specifically bought TTI extensions because I tried others and was not able to fit 20 rounds. I don't bother trying to barney in a round unless I really want 20+1 in the gun.

-Jake

• 1 year later...

5 NEW Gen 4 mags- today- only get 18 rounds in- with the follower re do?

I noticed that the nw springs from TTI are larger diameter that the ones I have from Dawson-

I changed them out- with the Dawson springs and the TTI base pads I now get 20 in the mags?

The Dawson tuning on the back of the follower worked for me. They were hanging up at 18 until I did that. Mine will all hold 20 now, but not really reloadable, so I'm just running them with 19 for now. I may clip one coil in the future so I can run 20.......

Does anyone else seem to have issues where one time loading the mag it will go to 20, then later in the day or next time it's loaded it only does 19? Sporadic capacity?

That happened to me until I beveled the bottom edges of the follower. Sometimes they would get snagged between the transition of the basepads and mag tube.

Edited by EngelMacher

I have beveled the edges of the followers, possibly need to refine them a little more soon

Are you using fairly new extended springs? Are you using a loading device to help load them?

I used a LULA loader to get mine to full capacity then let them sit for a while and worked the spring by loading to capacity and unloading over and over and that seemed to help after I beveled the followers.

Edited by EngelMacher

I'm using a LULA to load my mags, I have some mags that always do 20, and others that do sometimes

The springs have about 1/2 a season on them, but I don't load them outside of the range or practice so I may try that also, thanks!

I'm using a LULA to load my mags, I have some mags that always do 20, and others that do sometimes

The springs have about 1/2 a season on them, but I don't load them outside of the range or practice so I may try that also, thanks!

Oh yeah! Also check the inside of the mag to see if there is any plastic "flashing" or over molded spots where the polymer protrudes into the the mag causing an obstruction.

rZ9nbwV.jpg