Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W 442 Carry Gun Finish

Luv2rideWV

This is my carry gun of four years. Some of the corners and edges have actually wore through the frame and into the aluminum. One spot that worries me is the leading edge of the frame directly under the crane. Could this become a safety issue? Is there any type of refinish that is hard enough to protect the frame from further damage? Anyone have similar experiences? Do I worry about this?

post-37051-0-54265500-1401371650_thumb.jpost-37051-0-23803200-1401371684_thumb.j

The coating on the aluminum frame is to prevent corrosion. I believe it is some kind of urethane clear coat and I have read many posts about how poorly it holds up to wear. In some cases it cracks off in large chunks. SW used to refinish them under warranty but I don't know if they still do.

Birchwood Casey makes a chemical used to "blacken" aluminum which I have used and it works pretty well, not sure if it works on the scandium alloy.

The older guns were anodized black but it didn't always match the blueing on the cylinders and barrel. I believe the new ones are painted.

Leave it be, the first few marks hurt, but a well-worn gun has a beauty all it's own. One of my instructors in gunsmithing school always said "The more you f*ck with something the more likely you are to f*ck it up. "

Thanks for the comments; I appreciate them all and tend to agree. A worn finish on a gun is something to be proud of. However, the big question was about the actual loss of Aluminum under the crane. Could I lose enough material there for there to be a safety concern due to weakness?

• 3 weeks later...

The coating on the aluminum frame is to prevent corrosion. I believe it is some kind of urethane clear coat and I have read many posts about how poorly it holds up to wear. In some cases it cracks off in large chunks. SW used to refinish them under warranty but I don't know if they still do.

Birchwood Casey makes a chemical used to "blacken" aluminum which I have used and it works pretty well, not sure if it works on the scandium alloy.

There is no scandium alloy in the model 442. Scandium alloy is used in the more expensive guns like the M&P 340 and 340 PD.

Thanks for the comments; I appreciate them all and tend to agree. A worn finish on a gun is something to be proud of. However, the big question was about the actual loss of Aluminum under the crane. Could I lose enough material there for there to be a safety concern due to weakness?

Only place I think you could get "loss of material" that could cause danger would be if there is flame cutting into the top strap above the rear of the forcing cone. That's where all the frames I have seen fail come apart. I never saw one fail under the crane.