Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

questions about 627 variants

brnhp35

I know the 929 is going to be the way to go. But lets say a deal pops up on another 8 shot gun. I know the taurus 608 is probably not going to last but a season or two. (already passed up a great deal on one due to the work it would take to make competitive). The smiths out there are (if i remeber correctly) the 627, the v comp, the pro , 327, r8, trr r8. I know where there is a r8 but he is proud of it and not likely to come down. The r8's and 327 are scandium so lighter with more kick but i dont know how they stand up to wear. Are there any features or faults with the others that should be avoided or sought out? Am kind of leaning towards a 627 pro. Opinions? (by the way no icore nearby only uspsa and steel would be legal with the gun)

Well, who says the 929 is the way to go ? There are only about 21 of them released in the entire country, so they could suck for all we know.

Skip over taurus products completely if you are serious about competition, go with smith & wesson, you'll be much happier.

627s-

V-Comp - Big heavy 5" barrel with removable compensator, which would be illegal in both uspsa revolver and steel challenge (iron sight) revolver.

327 - Light weight scandium frame, i think they come in a few variants, such as snubby and some models with ti cylinders

R8 - Scandium frame, 5 inch barrel, built in "accessory/ flashlight" rail on front of barrel

TRR8 - Same as R8 ( mostly ) with a removable rail on barrel instead of intergrated

Pro Series - All steel gun, 4 inch barrel

627 Performence Series - all steel gun , 5 inch barrel

I own of a couple of the 327 TRR8 guns, I think they are wonderful guns for steel challenge, very light guns, quick on the transitions, But I wouldn't want to use them in USPSA ( you could, they arent wrist breakers by any means, I just prefer not too. )

The most budget friendly of the bunch will be the 627 pro series with 4" barrel, plenty of people shoot them, though - IMO the 4" barrel leaves a little bit to be desired.

the 627 PC will have the 5" barrel, which I think is the most popular with competitors.

See if you can find some local revolver shooters at whatever club you shoot at and demo some of their guns to better make a choice.

Edited by alecmc

In order of desirability for USPSA:

627 PC 5" Steel, or one of the earlier 627 5" 8 shot Steel versions

627 V Comp, make sure you get the blank end cap then it's legal for USPSA.

627 Pro 4" Steel, will give up very little due to weight, and that can be worked around if you need and are willing, but some stress over the lacking inch of barrel. Personal preference. The only real issue is it will take a tad more powder to make PF.

Some like the Scandium frames, but most just want the lighter cylinder.

I am a die hard S&W shooter but don't discount the Taurus Revolver only lasting 1 or 2 seasons. I shoot ICORE with a guy that shoots a Taurus and it is going strong long after a year or two. The trigger is also very good on it.. I personally will stick with my 627s but the Taurus is certainly an option.

Just to throw out one more option, if you can find one the 627 in 38 Super. Short cases without having to get 38 Short Colt or trimming down 38 Specials. I have heard of guys running 9mm out these as well without modification, but I swore you had to ream the chamber for 9mm to fit them. The way TK Custom explained it to me is that rimmed cases do not really have a tolerance on the grove, hence the reason for brand specific moon clips. Rimmless cases used in autos have a tolerance on the extractor groove so only one thickness moon clip is required for all brands of brass. Though some do seem to be tighter than others.

I am a die hard S&W shooter but don't discount the Taurus Revolver only lasting 1 or 2 seasons. I shoot ICORE with a guy that shoots a Taurus and it is going strong long after a year or two. The trigger is also very good on it.. I personally will stick with my 627s but the Taurus is certainly an option.

Quality aside...

Doesn't the only Taurus 8 shooter in production have built in ports? It would only be legal in USPSA/ICORE OPEN , or open revolver division in steel challenge

Edited by alecmc

I own two of the 627 38 super revolvers and there is no advantage to running 9 mm thru them. If you can reload a moonclip efficiently with 9 mm length bullets you can do the same with 38 supers. There just isn't enough difference to worry about.

I don't know if the Taurus is ported or not to tell the truth. The guy I shoot with does shoot open but I have never noticed if it was ported.

Edited by Jaxshooter

I saw several 627 pros at nationals sporting custom barrels from 5-7 inches. Just something else to think about.

I went this route, my uspsa minor gun started its life as a 4" 627 pro series, then it got a 6.5" barrel.

I own two of the 627 38 super revolvers and there is no advantage to running 9 mm thru them. If you can reload a moonclip efficiently with 9 mm length bullets you can do the same with 38 supers. There just isn't enough difference to worry about.

I don't know if the Taurus is ported or not to tell the truth. The guy I shoot with does shoot open but I have never noticed if it was ported.

Yup, the taurus model 608 has intergrated porting.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=250&category=Revolver

H_porting.jpg

taurus-1-tau_2_608069.jpg

Yup, the taurus model 608 has intergrated porting.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=250&category=Revolver

H_porting.jpg

taurus-1-tau_2_608069.jpg

What if you tapped those ports and Loctite-ed some set screws in there would that make them USPSA legal?

Taurus makes some interesting revolvers that S&W doesn't, but they tend to break if used a lot. Parts are not as widely available so it needs to be shipped back to Taurus for repair. I have a Taurus pump-action 22 I like, but I don't have the patience to deal with one of their revolvers.

Yeah the expense of tapping and plugging ports and then getting the gun cut for clips is the expense that moved me away from the taurus. My current revolver is a 5 inch 610. Not sure how will like a 4" gun but the price on the pro is what is pulling me that way. the only other local revolver shooter in my area is shooting a 327 (might be a r8 dont recall) havent asked about trying it but have shoot a trr8 that another guy used to shoot steel with but it had old school tube dot sight on top(pdp3 maybe). I have a line on a 627 pro may go with that and if dont like the 4" there is local up and coming smith who is big into revolvers and should be able to handle a barrel swap. The super in somewhat intrigueing but am just getting into open and dont have much experience with the super yet where as have been loading 38 special for 18 years soo.....

Edited by brnhp35

I've had and shot the 627PC with a Carmoney trigger, just recently sold it, and still own and shoot a 627 PRO I built back when my hands worked well. I have neuropathy of the hands and prefer the weight more in my hand than out in the barrel. Even with MY hands I could feel the difference. I suspect there's a lot of personal preference involved. For my money I'd get the PRO, put a JM trigger job in it, some FO sights and a Hogue Big Butt stock and go shoot snot out of it. Come to think of it, that's exactly what I did and don't miss the PC at all. As everything else, your results may vary. Sometimes ya just gotta get off the fence and get in the game. It's called experience. How do you think the rest of the posters got their opinions? Now go burn some powder. :cheers:

Well as it turns out my "line on a 627 pro" was a scam. Luckly I smelled a rat before any money changed hands. So back to waiting for the good deal (and questioning great deals) again. Lots of good info here though. Thanks all.

Scam? Sounds interesting? Not to distract from topic but can you be very brief on some details, just to keep this attached to your comments and perhaps help any others. Not looking for other comments just yours.

Edited by lora

some emails said he was dealer some said working through dealer ...gave a # that did not work to fax ffl to. gave a second # that was accross the country from where he said he was....emailed a ffl which the name of the gun store does not exist ..the address was for another gun store that does exist but when looked them up they had no idea of the person or gun. Just too much didn't line up.

Got it, thanks, good call on the pass, sure one will appear before to long.

FYI, I really like the 5" model regardless of 327 or 627, I feel your pain though, I think in the long run the 929 is the gun if you don't have an 8 shooter and can wait a little. I load of course, but sometimes I get lazy, and there I am the night before the match loading until late when if it was a 9mm, who doesn't have some factory ammo around. Of course, unless that great deal presents a legitimate opportunity.

Edited by lora

S&W had a small run of 8-shot model 27s, too.

They're hard to find but if you're on the prowl don't automatically pass by blued N-frames assuming it can't be an 8-shot. Granted, it's almost assuredly not.