Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Action Pistol Production Rules

entropic

Quick question as the rules are a little vague:

Can you modify or use aftermarket hammers and triggers (say in a S&W 686) under the production rules? The only rule I see about this says:

"Wide target style hammers and triggers, if included on the firearm as originally manufactured are permitted."

I obviously don't want a wide/target hammer or trigger. I wanted a hammer with no spur and a trigger with no serrations, but this is what my old smith came with. Can I bob the hammer and grind the serrations off the trigger?

Thanks for the help,

Dave

Edited by entropic

Alan is correct.

My Production revolver had a serrated trigger and a hammer spur. I didn't like it but it is what it is. A non-serrated trigger would certainly be considered an external modification. The best you could get away with on the hammer was to trim it a little to keep the spur from biting the web of your hand.

My experience with S&W revolvers is it would be very hard to tell what was shipped with the gun, then there is the issue what if it was replaced at the factory or authorized repair center latter on. With triggers smooth, serrated,flash chromed,blue,forged,MIM,internal trigger stops?

There almost as many variations with hammers also . I can understand why the manufacturer would not want photos of a Production gun being used in competition with a bobed hammer.

Then there is the issue of Custom shop guns. I was told that if it was shipped from a Manufacturer as a custom shop item then it was not allowed... but if you built it with available parts then it was ok..HUH. I see this as a huge mess with CZ products and a few others.

Tom

There have been so many combinations of parts and variants from the factory over the years it's impossible to say what hammer and trigger was shipped on what gun. If you want a smooth trigger, put it on. Another one of the same model probably came with a smooth trigger. The mixing and matching has gone on throughout S&W history, but most notably from the 70's to present, depending on what the current gun of the week was or what parts were left over from something else.

• 2 weeks later...

Cutting the hammer spur off, or using an aftermarket spurless hammer, isn't legal for Production. The trigger can be smoothed as that is an option available on many S&W Revolvers. Now in USPSA??? you can do what you want with a Revolver in Revolver Division. And there's the MW ICORE Regional on July 5th near Des Moines, Iowa and ICORE is Revolver only!