Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

(Easy) Question for June

benos

This one shouldn't take to much work. All I'm looking for is names and numbers:

Who were the top 2 shooters involved in the closest Steel Challenge "flip-flop" victories ["Flip-flop" means that one shooter won one year, while the other finished a close second; and then in a later year, the order of finish changed places.], and what was the margin of victory (or if you perfer, margin of loss) in each case?

good luck, and may the best first man win!

be

Ron,

No problemo!

And to clarify the question for June - The question covers the entire history of the SC, and also includes the various "categories" introduced in recent years, i.e., IDPA, Limited, etc.... For example, a winner from yester-year (when there was only one category) could have won in recent times in Limited or IDPA, and as long as the same two shooters finished #1 and #2, in opposite orders in opposite years - it would count. Now how's that for a "clarification"?

be

• 2 weeks later...

Scooter,

You're right, it's time for a hint. I thought someone would have hammered this one out by now....

The 2 shooters  involved were both men, and these men shot stock (or stock type) guns in both situations.

Notice that I did not capitalize the word "stock," which means that during at least one of the years in question, there may not have been a "Stock" class.

OK, that's really 2 hints.

I'll save hint #3 for a few more days.

be

OK, in response to no responses, here's one more hint.

There is a detailed description of the "second" situation in these very Forums, including (the exact time of) the margin of victory. Comon'—now it's easy. All you need is the name of the other shooter and the first/original "margin of victory/loss."

be

I researched my archived American Handgunner's and here what I got:

89: winner Angelo Spagnoli, second Brian

90: winner the Jet, second Arnt

91: winner the Burner, second Robbie

92: winner the Jet, second the Burner

93: winner the Jet, second Pat Sanchez

From the web:

99: winner Koenig, second Robbie

00: winner Koenig, second Tatsuya Sakai

Hope this helps

Bill Schwab

Phil and Bill,

You guys should get together and pool your resources, between the 2 of you, I think you can get it! I'd hate to have to send out more "half books." :)

Bill, (hint) Be sure to re-read the question(s).

be

Brian,

I re-read the question and had an epiphany...thanks, I think I need to do more research tonight.  I did a lot of research into the answer last night and couldn't find the flip/flop so I figured I'd throw the info I had gathered out to everyone else in hopes that someone else would be able to finish up were I left off.  Phils angle opens up a whole new realm.  

Phil,

Maybe we should pool our efforts on this one.  Shoot me a message or e-mail if you're interested.

Bill

Brian,

Here we go:

in 89 it was Spagnoli/Enos with a margin of victory of 0.26 and in 99 it was Enos/Spagnoli in stock gun by a margin of 0.01 seconds.  

If this answer is correct I need to thank Phil Dunlop and Mike Fichman for their help.

Bill Schwab

Congatulations Bill for your persistence! Pretty close margins, eh? In '99 it was dramatic come from behind victory, (as described somewhere on this forum). In '89, I missed the stop plate on my last run on the last stage and did a world famous "lower your gun before you actually finish shooting" trick for a .6 or .8 recovery shot.

Send me the address in the message feature and I'll ship 'er out.

be

So Brian are you going to shoot the Steel Challenge this year? I assume Angelo will. Other than you guys I haven't seen any top Limited shooters in the results for the past few years. (Burkett was shooting IDPA or something silly.)