Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

American Shooter & FGN

Kyle Norris

(We touched on this in another thread, another forum... that American Shooter disappeared from the TNN network here and is airing in another universe or something) but the real question now is: What channel is FGN airing on...?

Am. Shtr. is on Outdoor Living Network or something obscure like that....prob. the farmers in Kansas can pick it up....

I'll forever HATE the sports channels for decisions like people would rather watch a cheerleading competition than a shooting match...

I guess that begs the question:  Are there THAT many more recreational cheerleaders than shooting enthusiasts in this country?

Sorry, no Direct TV in this household. I'll ask around the range... see if anyone else has it.

Well, cheerleading is ok for those who want it, etc.,etc... but you and I both know that shooting sits in the back of the bus compared to most others.

• 2 months later...

KYLE NORRIS:

You bet!! I always liked those darn things and had up to 3 of them(the old one) at one time. With a good brake, like the Armalite one, it should be just fine. A couple of thoughts howerver, it may be hard to mount a scope on if you want to shoot in tactical/modified. I,m not sure how easy it is to add a bipod, but as an iron sight limited gun it would be GREAT!!!!                   KURT

This is the gun we should all be using; it features a standard gas piston like the M-14/Garand or AK-47 and is more reliable than the AR system - plus it keeps most the fouling out of the action instead of dumping it into the carrier like the AR. You will not find the parts selection like you would w/ the AR, but its still a better gun out of the box than a stock A2.

Armalite's website lists the trigger as the M15 group, which is what their AR15's are called, am I to presume that the trigger could be upgraded to a JP, Accuracy Speaks or Jard (list goes on).

Here is some other info on the web

GunBlast

Carlos - you mention that reliability wise, its a much better rifle than a stock A2, can you speak of its accuracy?  What type of sights does it have? Handling?

(Edited by BigDave at 11:04 am on Jan. 21, 2003)

We had a new one in the shop a few weeks back and the new incarnation uses a new polymer lower and the traditional stamped sheet metal upper of the original.  Bolt is an AR-style that locks into a receiver extension just like the AR- and that is where the AR & new 180 designes excel; the uppser receiver has little to do w/ accuracy - its all in the bolt/barrel extension fit. To this extent, the AR-180 should match a similar AR-15.  Now the down side: the barrel looked like an 18" standard weight AR barrel that was NOT free floated - did not get the chance to check outside barrel dia. The handgaurds are mounted different so an AR free float tube will not just bolt on. Will accesories follow? Lets hope so!  Accuracy of the current production gun should be on par w/ a standard barrel A2 w/o free float handgaurds.  I say "should" since it was a new gun and thus I did not get the chance to test it out on the range.  The advantage to it is by design; the gas taped from the barrel stays in the gas tube like a Garand or M1A; in the AR system, the gas must reach the carrier and bolt to function the weapon. Check it out. You decide.