Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone have any experience with "sun sleeves"?

michael b.

I know that the running and cycling communities swear by products like this to keep cool and for added UV protection...

http://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1240182

I have very sensitive skin that burns quite easily. Even more so if I've sweated off my sunscreen by the 2nd stage. Anyone use something like this on the range?

I've used something like them and know 4 other shooters who also use/d similar products. IMO they don't cool anything but may eliminate the need for sunscreen.

I haven't searched for any proof they block UVA or UVB rays as sunscreens do.

Make sure you understand the difference between SPF and UPF. The sleeves offer a 50+ UPF vs sunscreen that offers SPF.

http://www.triplejsunprotection.com/UPF-vs-SPF-sun-protection-what-it-means-s/256.htm

Edited by remoandiris

My preference is UnderArmour long sleeve compression T's or Mock-T's, HeatGear or ColdGear, depending on season. White for warm days, dark color for cold days. They do offer UV protection.

Edited by NMBOpen

On top of having skin that burns easily, I relocated to Nashville last year from Milwaukee. I'm willing to try anything to cut down the sun/heat. My blood is still too thick for this warmer weather.

• 3 weeks later...

As a follow up, I did get a pair of the Pearl Izumi's. I'm certainly not dissappointed with the performance! Excellent UV protection, and noticeably cooler than just bare skin. If you pour some water on them and keep them damp its like having little air conditioners for your arms.