Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question for May

benos

Back to a good 'ol shootin question.

What is the hightest number of stages won (expressed as a percentage) by a competitor at a US IPSC or USPSA national championship? And, who was this shooter, and what year did it happen?

Example: Johnny Crankmaster won 12 out of the 14 stages at the 1912 US National IPSC Championship.

Answer: Johnny Crankmaster, 1912, 85.7%.

Somebody should be all over this one...

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erik,

Remember, or maybe you weren't on the last forum, but a "guessfest" won't take the title. You have to answer the question specifically. :)

That's why I asked such a detailed question - it will be difficult to guess the correct COMPLETE answer.

good luck,

be

I have searched the entire Web with just about every search engine available and I can't find the answer. Anyone want to know how Ray Chapman did in 1975 at the first IPSC World Shoot? Or how about Jan Foss winning in Saltzburg with a Sig 210?

Searching the results from the USPSA website (that go back to 1995) I come up with a tie of 53.8 % by Jerry Barnhardt at the 1999 Limited Nationals and by Rob Leatham at the 1996 Limited Nationals.  Perversity makes me wonder though if Jerry Barnhardt posted a higher percentage the year he showed up with the first red dot scope?

Here's another hint: You'll have to back farther than 1995.

And, for the future, if anyone has an idea for a good trivia question, send it to me an email, or via the "message" feature of the forum.

be

I was there (it was at my home club at the time) and I don't recall the exact number of stages won by each but Jerry and Robbie were almost tied for stage wins with Doug K. picking up a few as well as Matt McLearn, Bruce Piatt et al. I do remember one stage though, it was 1 target 2 shots from the draw. Both Robbie and Jerry shot a .89 total times (like wow dude) but they gave the stage win to Robbie because he fired 3 rounds!

Pat

Ron,

Yeah, I looked at Brian's question before I decided to post, and decided to do it anyway.  Sometimes you just gotta throw something against the wall and see what sticks, (and more importantly) what doesn't.

Besides, its not about the book for me, I already have one.  I just thought in researching this I might learn something.

BigDave:

Yeah, I hear you. I have the book too. This question is just starting to bug me...the answer is probably easy. You know, somewhere along the line someone probably won all of the stages in Open or Limited, but I can't find any information on-line that goes back far enough. When we hear the answer we will probably pound our foreheads and gnash our teeth.

Remember too that the Open/Limited separate matches only started in...I think '93 or '94 so Theres good chance it wasn't one of those. And theres almost no chance that anyone is good enough to win all stages. The competition is just too tough. I'm thinking the answer will be well below 50% and it might go back to '82/'83

Pat

I cannot even spell IPSC let alone answer any questions!!!

I just bought the book and damn glad I did....

Brian even signed it so I bought another one(to keep the original in pristine condition) and he signed the second one too...