Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
seanc

off center light hits

My wife was shooting here sp01 the other day and brought me back to rounds that failed to go off. I will post a pic when I find them, but both had very light hit that was also very off center.

Very odd, its almost like the hammer fell out of battery but the gun will not let the hammer fall unless the slide is fully forward.

Take a look at her SP 01, mine will drop the hammer all the way back to where the take down marks are lined up. Another member brought it up in this thread.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=194513#entry2155999

OK, so I was mistaken and its the same deal with this gun. The hammer will definitely fall when the slide is not fully forward.

Can anyone describe the fix?

You probably aren't going to like this answer, and I'm no expert - But - the fix is to make sure your rounds feed correctly so the slide is all the way forward and the barrel has full lockup with the lugs in the slide. It's just the way they work.

Edited by tortuga

You probably aren't going to like this answer, and I'm no expert - But - the fix is to make sure your rounds feed correctly so the slide is all the way forward and the barrel has full lockup with the lugs in the slide. It's just the way they work.

If that's really the answer then so be it. The gun was filthy so I am not suprised it had round not go fully into battery. not happy that hammer still falls though, but if thats the way they work then that's that I guess.

Every round that goes through this gun gets case gauged in a hundo block and when all is clean function perfectly.

What OAL are you reloading? CZ's like a short OAL.

That's not a universal thing. It is true that the rifling starts very early in CZ barrels. But the impact of that is entirely dependent on the bullet profile. I have some bullets that have to be loaded to 1.070"-1.095" (Berry's 124 FP and Bayou Bullets 135g for example). But I can load Bayou Bullets 125g 9mm all the way to 1.165" with no problems, and their 147g bullet (a common profile that a lot of other companies use as well) can be loaded to 1.130-1.135" easily. I tried 1.140", but once every couple of hundred rounds, tolerance stacking on the length of the case and slop in my Dillon 550 will cause the round to stick in the rifling a bit.

There's a fairly easy way to check the max OAL possible for a round, and I'm getting ready to do what will probably be an overly detailed post on this. But just drop an empty, sized piece of brass in your barrel and measure how much of it sticks out of the barrel. Be consistent on which side you measure on throughout this with a CZ, because the left and right sides aren't the same distance from the rim the case rests on.

Then measure the bullet length, drop it in the barrel (it will be resting on the rifling), and then measure how deep it is from the same point you used to measure the amount of brass sticking out.

bullet length + bullet depth in barrel + brass sticking out = Maximum possible OAL for that round in that barrel.

Subtract 0.015"-0.020" from that, and you've got a good starting point for your loads that gives enough margin.

On a related note, you can do the exact same thing to your case gage to see if it's tighter or looser than your barrel. Though I've found which is tighter between a given barrel and your case gage can vary, again depending on the bullet profile. In some cases, my EGW is looser than my CZ barrel. But with most bullets, the EGW is excessively tight.

The problem is the gun is not all the way in battery. Probably because the rounds are too long. I had an M&P a long time ago that would do that if I loaded a little too long. The FP would still release as long as it was not waaay out of battery.