Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What powders for 40?

bigarm

I decided to buy a very slightly used Brazos High Performance Edge in 40 s&w. What powder(s) that are available are good for loading 40 major? I have never reloaded for 40 before. Anything special I need to know? In my area I am having trouble finding any handgun powders. Also, I have not reloaded in 8 years, so probably time for a new reloading manual. Which do you suggest?

Edited by bigarm

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the 40 crowd!

The most important thing to know about loading 40S&W for our sport is that if you go for 40 major you'll be loading outside of SAMI specs and manufacturer published loads. There's tons of great info here on doing it and a lot of us do it with confidence, but it's something to give an extra measure of respect. As you read up on it here you'll run across, "...and that's how you get a kaboom too!"

Another detail you'll run across is whether you end up loading long or short. 40S&W pistols that evolved from 9mm platforms have a more strict COAL than those that evolved from the 1911 platform. And some who shoot 1911 platforms say they actually have to load long (up to 1.200) for reliability. So that's something to keep in mind about your Brazos.

As for powders, a number of us have found CFE Pistol available recently. It's a new powder so we're still learning our competition loads, but early tests are looking good for 40 major. In fact I just posted some of my chrono findings in another thread.

I researched this pretty heavily when I got my 40. I kept on reading that VihtaVuori N320 seemed to be what a majority of people were using.

Now keep in mind; this was during the "big shortage" and I was moving from .38sc to .40 and was sitting on about 15 pounds of VV N350. Man was I hoping to run across a 350 load, but everyone shooting 40 didn't like it. I ended up finally getting some N320 and haven't looked back.

bigarm, Selway Armory in Missoula had Ramshot Comp recently and they seem to have it often. Lots of Hodgdon and Alliant powders (except RL-15!) but not much 231 or WST.

Mark

Making major with .40cal is no problem with any number of "medium speed" powders, and indeed most factory loads will make it, especially if using 180grn bullets. My favorite for 40 is Silhouette, but HS6, AutoComp, Power Pistol, WSF, True Blue, Unique, and several others will make major in 40 with no drama and still have room to spare in the pressure department. When using powders that are faster like TiteGroup and even faster powders then things get trickier and pressure limits are often surpassed.

Personally, I like Silhouette because it is clean, has a nice pressure curve, an acceptable recoil signature (I consider it fairly soft shooting for the power factor), and meters perfectly as it is a ball powder. A lot of shooters think their guns shoot "softer" when using higher speed powders with heavy bullets, and that is their goal. Mine is to find a load that is not a stress on me or the gun or the cases, is accurate, and has a very stable SD over thousands of rounds so it will always do what it is supposed to do without breaking something. For that, medium speed powders are better in my opinion.

Solo 1000 and never look back! Around 4.5 grs to start with OAL around 1.175 or so and adjust from there. Shortening OAL with same powder charge will generally increase velocity and pressure. Increasing OAL will generally require bumping charge a tenth or 2 to maintain same velocity. It's like poor man'man's n320.

I started with Titegroup, tried a pound of N320, and now use WST with plated bullets. I just got back from a chrono session and though my Brazos HP Edge, I ran 5.0gr of WST behind Extreme 180s at 1.180" and avg PF was 170. This was in 78-80 degree weather.

Edited by PKT1106

• 4 weeks later...

I´ve tried N320 and 340, Acc No. 2, WST, Lovex D032, D036, and ended up with Green Dot.

Mr. Broemels programm brought me to Green Dot, haven´t thought about before, but it is constant, clean burning and the smoothest one of them all.

Doing a PF of 176 with a 180gr CU bullet (we have 170 PF for Major over here).

Nowadays its finding whatever powder is somewhat available. I came across a bunch of WST and have really liked it with my G35. I'm in the powder purchasing mood again and am looking at Solo 1000, WSF, Win 231, Clays, and titegroup.

I have a bunch of powder backordered, so hopefully I will get some by Fall. This damn powder thing just isn't any fun at all.