Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

September is tough!

benos

OK, since I've had so much time to reflect after last month's early win, this one shouldn't prove to be quite so easy.

(This question seems appropriate, since we just had the SC.)

At the very first Steel Challenge - How many stages were there and what were their EXACT names? But wait, that's not all -  how many rounds would you have fired to complete the match if you didn't miss a single target? (Even Robbie didn't get this one.)

It' all or nothing!

be

OK here goes. There were 4 stages.

Safariland Flying M

3 tgts-- 5 runs 15shots

Sturm,Ruger&Co Speed Option

5 tgts-5runs =25 shots

Cobra Gunskin 5 to go

5tgts- -6 runs=30 shots

G.Wm. Davis Double trouble

2 tgts(now here is the hard part)It was either run 5 or 6 times.My guess is 6 times=12

This gives a total of 82 shots.

John Shaw won.

(Edited by Bill H at 10:06 am on Sep. 4, 2001)

Everything Bill H said except on the last stage I'll guess 5 times for 10 shots and a total of 80 shots.

Sorry Bill.

I looked all over for this info this am and was unable to find it. I was not even shooting at this point in time so I am totally cheating.......

Here's my guess!

5 shots     Flying M....

5 Shots     In and Out (now called Round about)

5 Shots     5 to go

5 Shots     Outer Limits

5 Shots     Showdown

5 Shots     Speed Option

2 Shots     Double Trouble

They were shot 4x's for a total of 128 rounds.

(Edited by Shooter Grrl at 8:13 am on Sep. 7, 2001)

• 2 weeks later...

It's hint time. Their were 4 stages, and one of them was called "West Covina Speed Option." (That was the one that I was looking for when I said "exact name.") I don't think anyone would have got that one, so now we can get down to the easy stuff.... :)

be

I got my info from Nov/Dec 81 American Handgunner. The next year Plaxco won at the match called the 2nd Steel Challenge and so on(I think Fowler was the following years winner).So Flinchman gave all wrong info or there is a mysterious pre 1st challenge match. I am sure that you were probably there Brian so can't argue with that.Can't wait to see the answer to this one.

Bill

Okay okay okay - I really want a book, but am too cheap to pay for one... so here's my REAL guess, not Mike's :-)

5 shots     West Covina Speed Option (thanks for the hint)

5 Shots     Outer Limits

2 Shots     Double Trouble

5 Shots     Showdown

Shot 4x's each for a total of 108 rounds

OK, sorry. I forgot it was the first of the month.

The 4 stages were:

West Covina Speed Option - keep 4 runs with a total of SIX shots/targets on each string. That's the tricky part. In the first Challenge there was 6 targets on both the Speed Option and on 5 to go! On the SO, the "extra" target was directly in front of the shooters box at 5 yds. On 5 to go, there was five 8" plates instead of 4, the extra was 2 or 3 yds closer than it is today, I can't remember exactly.

Five to Go - 4 keepers at 6 shots each

Double Trouble - 4 keepers at 2 shots each

and, The Flying M - 4 keepers at 3 shots a run.

For a total of 68 shots!

The following year they dropped the SO and 5 to go to 5 shots each to stop the winning by the revolver guys. Dalton tried to "reason" with them, telling them that the winner would only shoot 1 shot per plate anyway, but they didn't go for it.

The next question will be easy, I promise. And, don't forget to send in those questions!

be